NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-19-2019, 04:56 AM
Eric
Eric

Default Commenting in BST section

Seeing more and more commentary in the BST section related to pricing and any various comments. I think we went over that BST is not the place to interject comments like this. If someone is trying to sell a card it seems poor form to quote previous sales. If someone is trying to sell a raw card it seems poor form to interject comments on the grade of that card. Aren’t those best handled as a pm between the seller and whoever is commenting? If I am way off base here I apologize but the commentary is getting frustrating.
Any other thoughts?
Old 05-19-2019, 05:28 AM
Glyn Parson

Default my 2 cents

If people are lying or posting misinformation i have no problem with people calling them out on it. if they are way over-grading i have no issue with people pointing it out. i think all things are relative and probably best judged on a case by case basis. but of course it is ultimately up to what Leon thinks is right.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:44 AM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
If people are lying or posting misinformation i have no problem with people calling them out on it. if they are way over-grading i have no issue with people pointing it out. i think all things are relative and probably best judged on a case by case basis. but of course it is ultimately up to what Leon thinks is right.
Very true. I just remember the fiasco with the Lenox Cobb that dominated the T206 section for an extended period of time and really sucked for anyone else trying to sell a card. Definitely want to avoid things like that.

But definitely agree if someone is posting false information they should be called out but not for opinions or over pricing of cards. People can ask whatever they want. They may not have buyers but can ask what they want.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:15 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Benign comments there are fine. We don't want a stale place. But any kind of extraneous pricing or other things, by other than the poster, is not permitted. Of course fraud and/or lies can be called out. Always shoot me, or another moderator, a PM if there is something which you think crosses the line or needs to be discussed.

Examples- You got a great deal on that card, Why are you asking so much for it? NOT permitted

That is a great looking card you have there. I used to own one and loved it. Good luck with the sale. Permitted.

And what is a thread without a card?

Old 05-19-2019, 07:21 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

The same jealous prick that's been warned at least once before up to his old tricks.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 05-19-2019, 08:46 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
The same jealous prick that's been warned at least once before up to his old tricks.
If this is just an example of an off-limits post, why don't you tell us how you really feel.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:01 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

BST seems to run very well generally. It’s annoying when someone does TTT for the 19th time but what can you do.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:51 AM

Personally, I prefer that nobody comment on any BST I ever post (even “nice card GLWS”).

Also, not that I have any pull, but I think an OP should only be able to bump their BST thread once every 15 days (x2)/month - it gets old seeing the same threads and Its very aggravating when you post a BST and within an hour are jumped by a thread that’s been on BST for years.

Ryan Hotchkiss
Old 05-19-2019, 11:03 AM
Banned

“if I didn’t already have one of these, i’d Be all over this one! great price!”
Old 05-19-2019, 11:22 AM
Pete Sycks

My only beef if when someone bumps their thread when it's sold.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 05-19-2019, 11:28 AM
Peter Spaeth

If someone says something nice about a card I'm selling I have no issue at all with that.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:58 AM
Banned

as long as the card isn’t of brooks koepka I have no problem either
Old 05-19-2019, 12:12 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
If someone says something nice about a card I'm selling I have no issue at all with that.
I agree. Besides it bumps he thread with a nice comment! I see no problem with this either.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:31 PM
seablaster@yahoo.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
My only beef if when someone bumps their thread when it's sold.
Amen to that.

Just edit the original title and post to indicate that. There is absolutely no need to drag a thread to the top of the pile when the item in question is no longer available!
Old 05-19-2019, 01:35 PM
Anson

For example, in Leon's case "Nice Wood" is acceptable. But a knock on Wood is not.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:41 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowadoc77 View Post
Very true. I just remember the fiasco with the Lenox Cobb that dominated the T206 section for an extended period of time
I agree with Eric about extraneous comments in the BST section, but I have to admit that that Cobb/ Lenox thread was one of the funniest things that I've seen on this board.

And I say that as an owner of a Cobb/ Lenox, so I was watching the value of my card drop right along with that one.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:07 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

I get it that people can obviously ask anything they want for a card, but I think that buying a card, then immediately listing it with a 60 percent markup on here is outside the spirit of what the BST board on here is about, IMO.

Last edited by Bored5000; 05-19-2019 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:56 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Interesting comments in this thread.
As far as doing a quick flip of any markup at all is not out of line. We aren't going to police bad buying or selling decisions, only fraud or lies. (sort of the same).

And as far as bumping a thread when a card is sold, I just sold the WG Jackson card in the BST area, and did an edit to the body of the post and the title of the post as SOLD. And all the time without bumping the thread to the top. I doubt we put a rule in place not to do that though. Our goal with this forum has always been to have as few rules as possible. Almost every single one made has been because a lot of members WANTED them AND they made sense WITHOUT (notice my capitalized words...how about that for an effect?) without them being too invasive. Even though we have some rules, such as the name rule, I feel this forum has fewer rules than most. That is the goal.

BTW, I was just in the BST area and here is an example of comments that are not permitted in this thread.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...13#post1879213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
I get it that people can obviously ask anything they want for a card, but I think that buying a card, then immediately listing it with a 60 percent markup on here is outside the spirit of what the BST board is on here is about, IMO.

Last edited by Leon; 05-19-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Interesting comments in this thread.
As far as doing a quick flip of any markup at all is not out of line. We aren't going to police bad buying or selling decisions, only fraud or lies. (sort of the same).

And as far as bumping a thread when a card is sold, I just sold the WG Jackson card in the BST area, and did an edit to the body of the post and the title of the post as SOLD. And all the time without bumping the thread to the top. I doubt we put a rule in place not to do that though. Our goal with this forum has always been to have as few rules as possible. Almost every single one made has been because a lot of members WANTED them AND they made sense WITHOUT (notice my capitalized words...how about that for an effect?) without them being too invasive. Even though we have some rules, such as the name rule, I feel this forum has fewer rules than most. That is the goal.

BTW, I was just in the BST area and here is an example of comments that are not permitted in this thread.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...13#post1879213
There's something wrong my comment but it's ok to sell a card and make assumptions about how a card will grade even though you've never physically seen in person?
Old 05-19-2019, 03:38 PM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I agree with Eric about extraneous comments in the BST section, but I have to admit that that Cobb/ Lenox thread was one of the funniest things that I've seen on this board.

And I say that as an owner of a Cobb/ Lenox, so I was watching the value of my card drop right along with that one.
Not going to lie, I got great entertainment value out of that thread but I don’t think we want to go there again...
Old 05-19-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowadoc77 View Post
Not going to lie, I got great entertainment value out of that thread but I don’t think we want to go there again...
In my short 2-3 years here, that was hands down a top 5 thread; but agree it sucked in the BST section
Old 05-19-2019, 04:02 PM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
In my short 2-3 years here, that was hands down a top 5 thread; but agree it sucked in the BST section
Exactly.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:37 PM
Luke Lyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsilvey80 View Post
There's something wrong my comment but it's ok to sell a card and make assumptions about how a card will grade even though you've never physically seen in person?
I didn't think this comment was out of line personally. If someone lists a card for sale, does not post a scan, and states that the card would grade VGEX and another member has seen the card and can warn potential buyers that there's a crease, I think that person is doing a good thing.

If nothing else, the people who are looking for a VGEX copy know not to waste their time on that particular card.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:38 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I feel that anyone that posts where and or where a card was sold isnt doing the seller any favors, and it has no place in a bst thread. If posted anywhere else, swing away!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 05-19-2019, 05:47 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Has it really be a few years since that thread was started..
Old 05-19-2019, 06:00 PM
Rob

Default A little less conservation, a little more action

Please comment early and often if you see me in the bst. It bumps my thread to the top. Rob
Old 05-19-2019, 06:49 PM
Rich Klein

I presume something to the effect of PM sent is totally acceptable.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:12 PM

One beef I have is some people dominating the b/s/t. I recently counted 14 listings out of the top 32 posts in the memorabilia thread by one member.

Rob M
Old 05-19-2019, 07:49 PM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Very acceptable. And another way to make sure the seller knows there is interest. I simply cannot believe how many peoples pm boxes are full. Delete the old ones, c’mon!
Old 05-19-2019, 09:16 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Of course PMs are always ok. And concerning a few longtime members who pm'd me about your names today. It will be your choice and if you don't want it there then most likely you just won't be here any longer. Not a problem. If I added someone's name to their signature then there was a reason.

Rob- as far as too many postings I just went to the Memorabilia BST and the forum and didn't see anyone dominating anything? I am not saying it hasn't happened and if it does a simple PM to me will usually get some threads merged. Been done many times. Just PM me folks, you will stay anonymous about issues being discussed.

Last edited by Leon; 05-19-2019 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Personally, I prefer that nobody comment on any BST I ever post (even “nice card GLWS”).

Also, not that I have any pull, but I think an OP should only be able to bump their BST thread once every 15 days (x2)/month - it gets old seeing the same threads and Its very aggravating when you post a BST and within an hour are jumped by a thread that’s been on BST for years.

Ryan Hotchkiss
Agreed. Some get bumped way too often.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2019, 04:44 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default 1941 Wheaties premium

Ryan
You should consider putting a caveat in your BST transactions saying something like-

" I want to thank everyone for their kind thoughts on my card. I prefer no comments, not even nice ones, unless it is pertaining to buying the card. Please don't take this as anything but an appreciative request. Thanks"

Then if people make comments, and you don't like them, PM me and I will ask them to refrain. Problem solved.
As for bumping a thread, generally I say not more than every 3-4 days, and depending on their frequency and nature, I might ask certain people to wait a week before bumping. However, except for the Live Auction section, where things are more time sensitive, there are no firm rules. That said, if you bump something more than once every 3-4 days you are likely to get a PM if I see or hear about it. Overall the BST is a bright spot of the board, I believe.
thanks
Quote:

Ryan Hotchkiss
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pf272unc1941dimaggio.jpg (76.5 KB, 219 views)

Last edited by Leon; 05-21-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:07 PM

That’s a great idea Leon. Next time I post a BST, I most certainly will ask for no extra comments. And I really like your boilerplate and I may just adopt it wholesale. Thanks for the suggestion.