NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-11-2019, 07:47 PM
Matthew

Default Sanella Ruth

I’m thinking about buying one of these beautiful cards. Does anyone have good advice? They are far cheaper than a Goudey but also look incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2019, 07:51 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Well, they're pre-war so you posted in the wrong forum.

But anyways, they're very thin. Many were pasted into collectors books, so check the backs of raw ones for "pulls" from scrapbook soaking removal.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:22 PM
Scott M.@.r.k.s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnatiusJReilly View Post
I’m thinking about buying one of these beautiful cards. Does anyone have good advice? They are far cheaper than a Goudey but also look incredible.

I've been tinkering with this exact purchase, for literally months.

They aren't terribly expensive, so that isn't the issue. I just don't know that its ever going to be a really popular card. (not that that really matters to me anyway)

I have just had my hands into other projects, and never quite pulled the trigger.

I do agree, they are pretty slick looking as far as I'm concerned, and I know I will pick one up sooner or later.
Just haven't done it yet.... but its coming.

Successful deals with - "HCV123"/Howard Chasser, "ejstel" , "mzljapan" , "aronbenabe" , "Santo10Fan" , " Robextend", "rjackson44", "Wanaselja", "eliminator", "Dboneesq" , "Oneofthree67", "Lucas00", "ccre" , "D. Bergin" and several others.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:56 AM
Tim Odeen

I have been real close to buying one of these too. I like them, and it will probably be the only Ruth I'll ever be able to own.

I do own an "Authentic" 1934 Butterfinger, but it has been trimmed. I also don't consider it a card. The seller busted it out of its holder, so there is a graded version on one of the PSA/Beckett/SGC list that is no longer valid.
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 05-13-2019, 09:46 AM
Sean Sullivan

I bought one of the rare kind a few years ago, in mid-grade PSA, and I LOVE it!!!
A fantastic and affordable card of Ruth in his playing days, IMO.
I have never regretted that purchase! Doooo it!!!!

Another one I love, and should probably grab one soon, is the Japanese Shonen Ruth.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:40 PM
Jeremy A. Rich

This is a link to my thread. I posted a photo on this thread to my 1932 PSA 8 Sanella Babe Ruth.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=259671

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
Old 05-16-2019, 07:43 AM
Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherLodeT205 View Post
This is a link to my thread. I posted a photo on this thread to my 1932 PSA 8 Sanella Babe Ruth.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=259671

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

That sure is a beauty!

Old 05-16-2019, 02:31 PM
Jeremy A. Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnatiusJReilly View Post
That sure is a beauty!

Thanks! They are actually becoming more difficult to locate especially in higher grade. The seller that I acquired mine from always used to have an example of these cards on hand. That was 5 years ago and before. However now days it is a rare occasion to have him advertise any example of this type of Ruth. Good luck with your search.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
Old 05-17-2019, 10:22 PM
Jon

Great looking card. The Type 1 and 3 seem to be much rarer than does the Type 2 so something to keep in mind in terms of pricing. Type 2 has a pop of 853, 1 has 162, and 3 has 91.

Here’s my Type 1
Old 05-18-2019, 06:44 AM
Bruce C.

For those thinking of picking one up, do it. If you do a search on Net54 about this card you will see some early discussions about how common and inexpensive it was. Almost everything was high grade. A few years ago I sold an SGC 60 to a friend just for what I thought it would cost to replace it. It took me 3 years and a 70% price increase. Most listings are for lower grades also now.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:20 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I've never been into the non US Ruth cards. Same for a few of his tobacco industry cards. Were never collected by kids in the US, and always just seem gimmicky to me. While prices have gone up, there still are not in great demand. See them all the time.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:59 PM
Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I've never been into the non US Ruth cards. Same for a few of his tobacco industry cards. Were never collected by kids in the US, and always just seem gimmicky to me. While prices have gone up, there still are not in great demand. See them all the time.

That’s a good point, but the quality of the image really stands out for the Sanella. It’s looks exactly like how I imagine Ruth to look like, plus the crowd behind him looks awesome. If I can’t have a goudey 144 this could tide me over.

Old 05-18-2019, 03:17 PM
Jeremy A. Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I am happy with my 1932 Sanella Type 2 PSA 8 Babe Ruth. I think this card is overlooked and unjustly underrated. Some of this because this is an over sea's made sports card. However overall this is a great looking sports card of one of the greats of baseball. Plus this card was made during Babe Ruths active playing days. This is not a tribute card made after Babe Ruth was dead and gone. Cheers!

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
Old 05-18-2019, 04:27 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

If you want a challenge, try finding the Astra brand variation. I had one get lost en route from Europe and have not been able to replace it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-19-2019, 11:06 AM
Bill Potter

I also wanted a Sanella and I have noticed the steady increase in their price. I ended up getting this cut '34 Exhibit and trimmed '34 Quaker Oats instead. Gave $90 for both
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190515_195514-1-1.jpg (72.6 KB, 1137 views)

Last edited by sandmountainslim; 05-19-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:09 PM
Jeremy A. Rich

This is a photo of my PSA 8 Sanella Type 2 Babe Ruth without going through a link. Plus a couple other cards in my collection.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
Old 11-09-2019, 01:32 PM
Jeremy A. Rich

Have any of you got pictures you can of the back of the type 1 and 3 1932 Sanella Babe Ruth? And what separates the three types of 1932 Sanella Babe Ruth's? Thanks.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited by MotherLodeT205; 11-09-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:49 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Don't have pictures of the 1st two variations but I do remember its is really just the placement of the advertiser on the back (Sanella). (center and bottom of back of card with no numbering) Variation 3 the Sanella is at bottom of card and is numbered (83). The Astra is harder to find.

There is also a Bulgarian issue of Ruth pictured with Max Schmeling that is also fairly inexpensive and not to hard to find.... good copies of Sanella and Bulgaria Sport can be had for about $200...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.