NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-02-2019, 06:40 AM
Lar.ry Buch.heim

Default ll

bb

Last edited by PiratesWS1979; 02-18-2020 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:01 AM
pete ullman

Older...like the gretzy wagner??? When psa knew how to grade cards??? Thats rich!!! Flips will become more insignificant than the merits of the actual card in the future...the way it should always have been imo.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:04 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Older...like the gretzy wagner??? When psa knew how to grade cards??? Thats rich!!! Flips will become more insignificant than the merits of the actual card in the future...the way it should always have been imo.
I wonder how many of the guys with the high end major Registry sets are aware of this, and what they are thinking.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:22 AM
pete ullman

its the high rollers who should be the most angry and who should likely be the ones to get their lawyers on the case ASAP. IMO!
Old 06-02-2019, 07:23 AM
pete ullman

But again...to me this is no different than being caught with a stock the day they offer catastrophic news and you see your investment go to shit! It's happened to me. How is this that different?
Old 06-02-2019, 07:50 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Seems to me that if they could produce undetectable fake cards they could also produce undetectable fake flips...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-02-2019, 07:54 AM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Default Hobby or investmen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
But again...to me this is no different than being caught with a stock the day they offer catastrophic news and you see your investment go to shit! It's happened to me. How is this that different?
If collecting stocks is for you a hobby then it is exactly the same. For me cards are more hobby than investment. I am not blind to the value and I like when the value of a card I bought increases in value. But I collect and keep cards because I enjoy them not just because of their value. Not judging but some people only collect for the investment aspect. For that group of people this PSA / PWCC scandal will be the most painful.

Last edited by Bram99; 06-02-2019 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-02-2019, 09:17 AM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram99 View Post
If collecting stocks is for you a hobby then it is exactly the same. For me cards are more hobby than investment. I am not blind to the value and I like when the value of a card I bought increases in value. But I collect and keep cards because I enjoy them not just because of their value. Not judging but some people only collect for the investment aspect. For that group of people this PSA / PWCC scandal will be the most painful.
And will be great for the people that are in it only for the enjoyment of the hobby itself if the sky falls and prices on everything plummet.
As I posted elsewhere, we can blame everyone else all we want, but at the end of the day we only have ourselves to blame. It's our greed and vanity that have perpetuated this entire situation.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:42 AM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesWS1979 View Post
With the current trimming/altering scandal worsening by the day it made me remember an older thread.

It involved all the counterfeits with their increase print quality and card stock.

Some were afraid it would come to a point counterfeits would grade along with others and posed a question.

Will earlier flips bring a premium over newer one for fear of counterfeits?

Sounds even more relevant today, thought?
The very first card that PSA graded they got wrong, so not sure how early you would think might bring a premium.

Doug

edited to say : I guess I should read entire threads, so that I will see that somebody (Pete) already said what I said.

Last edited by doug.goodman; 06-02-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:46 AM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram99 View Post
There is nothing wrong with "collecting" for only the investment aspect, but it has been obvious from that first (mis)graded Wagner that the entire house was built in an earthquake zone...