NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-09-2006, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Default Speaking of starting sets....how about 1918 Zeenuts?

Posted By: Brian McQueen

I've acquired a few of these lately and was wondering what other's thoughts were on the possibility of amassing the entire set? I've come to within 10-12 of finishing off the 1911 Zeenut set over the course of the past 5-6 months but am thinking this will be more of a challenge since I very rarely see any of these on Ebay/House Auctions. Any other board members currently going after this one?

Old 11-09-2006, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

after one card. And now you have it.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Is the fact that 1918 was a war year and paper may have been scarce have anything to do with the rarity of the set?

Old 11-09-2006, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

would be a great person to comment on these. I had one in my type collection I sold at an REA auction recently but Mark said they are exceptionally difficult to complete. Maybe since they are really the only Zeenuts with any color on them, they are more in demand, and thus harder to actually finish a set. I have same problems with red-bordered Colgans.....although they are even MORE expensive.....

Old 11-09-2006, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian McQueen

Barry - I've heard that from other board members (Mark being one I believe) and it makes sense. The US didn't get involved in World War I until 1917, if my history serves me correct. The 1917 Zeenut set would have been already produced at the time we entered the war so the only year that would have been affected by the war would be 1918.

The point about the red borders is also a good one. The 1918 set sits smack in the middle of 6-7 Zeenut sets that feature white or fairly colorless layouts before the Sepia sets kicked in in the early 1920s. So really, this is one of the very few Zeenut sets with any vivid coloring to it at all. Even the first sets were primarily "browns and tans".

So 1918 Zeenut red borders command a premium. Colgan red borders also command a premium. Why didn't this "vintage card + red borders = desireable" formula carry over to those t210s that I just sold on Ebay for lower than I was hoping

Old 11-09-2006, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach Rice

I was told by a collector who recently gave up on the set that Mark Macrae had told him that no complete set existed. Beyond that I can't help you much, but they are beautiful cards aren't they ? certainly my favorite year.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Jones

I say go for it Brian. I am sure it will be very challenging, especially since you will be fighting with type collectors for cards. There is nothing wrong with collecting a set that will take years to complete.

Just Imagine all of those red borders lined up on a sheet

Old 11-09-2006, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Macrae

Check the archives....This set has already been discussed in the past....Tough to complete...Two complete sets documented Zach. One belongs to a private collector, the other to the California Historical Society. Several other collectors including myself, need less than 10 to finish their sets (or at least what is presently documented as a set). Brian, with patience & persistance, you should finish by the time you retire

Old 11-09-2006, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

I have been looking for an O'Doul for about 8 years and have NEVER seen one come up for sale publicly as an example of how rare a particular player is. I believe there are specific players who are much rarer to find, O'Doul included, while others appear more regularly. They are nice looking cards and very tough to find in decent grade (even more so than other zeenuts in my opinion).

Old 11-09-2006, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Brian- Since I am a completist nut and still hold the hope of finishing my own Don Quixote sets, D311 and 1911 Zeenut, when you get close to the end I'll gladly sell you my pair of 1918s which right now are definitely only type cards in my collection.
Absolute scarcity has made the D311s almost impossible to complete (as you know) and collector mania has made the 1911 Zeenut set almost as bad. That doggone 1918 set is a killer, no doubt.
tbob