NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-04-2013, 09:56 PM

Default Plow Boy Tobacco Cabinet Backs

Just added a Tom Needham Plow Boy Tobacco Cabinet to my catcher type card collection. I noticed there isn't a lot of information out there regarding this set. I do know that a few board members are working on the set, and hopefully, they will respond to this thread.

After searching the web for information, it struck me that there are a variety of backs available in the set. Perhaps more than what is normally discussed.

To quote Lew Lipset's The Encyclodia of Baseball Cards...Lew writes..."The backs of the cards contain advertising for Plowboy with a notice to save the coupons. A second, more difficult back lists Spaulding & Merrick's name and address and a list of gifts that can be obtained for coupons."

Lew further describes the backs as..."Plowboy Back Normal and Plowboy Premium Offer Back."

My first scan is on my card's back, what Lew refers to as the "Plowboy Back Normal." The second scan shows what Lew refers to as the "Plowboy Premium Offer Back."

What I find interesting is that the second "C" has a slice through it like a plow cut on Lew's "Plowboy Back Normal," wheresas, the "C' is solid on the Premium Ad back.

After further review another back exists, where the "C" does not have a "plow cut" through it on a back the the "Plowboy Normal Back." See image #3. I also found an example that was blank backed without any advertising on it.

So there are at least four back variations available with the Plow Boy Tobacco Cabinets.

My question is was the plowcut on the 2nd "C" a planned marketing design or did an object interfere with the printing process to create the break in the letter "C."

My personal thought is that it was a planned design variation. What do our experts think?

Thanks,

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PLOWBOY BACK CUT C.jpg (66.7 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg PLOWBOYBASICBACK.jpg (39.9 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg PLOW BOY STANDARD BACK.jpg (33.8 KB, 161 views)

Last edited by Vintagecatcher; 09-04-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:25 PM
Bruce Babcock

Interseting post. I have two Plowboys, both with this back.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:26 AM
Todd Schultz

I thinks it's probably just a print defect created by an interfering object. Here is an example of a similar "break" created in the "C" on some Herpolsheimer cards:

(the last one is "normal" and far more frequently found)
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:41 AM

I have several of all three of the printed backs.

As Todd stated, it is just a function of production and nothing done on purpose. It slips my mind right now, but there is another small T or E card set where about half of the backs come with or without a broken serif on the S, same thing the printing block broke and no one bothered to fix it.

Now for an unabashed plug, as we are here. I have several to trade for ones I need!

Last edited by sb1; 09-05-2013 at 06:42 AM.