NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-17-2011, 04:38 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Now that they are over- (14) 1925 Exhibit card photos

Now that they are over- The (14) 1925 Exhibit card photos on ebay were right in my wheelhouse. I have, for the last year or so, been collecting the photos that were used for vintage cards. It's been a lot of fun so far. I don't recall seeing so many from a set at one time. I got slammed on the first ones and went and upped all of my snipes so ended up getting 2 commons and this 1 HOF'er. Any one else see them, have interest or get any?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180773431310

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180773440341

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180773441336

Last edited by Leon; 12-17-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:46 PM
Phil Garry

Very cool, Leon, I didn't notice those on e-bay.

Congrats!
Old 12-17-2011, 06:30 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

if you didnt get any you still have a chance..... there are more than 14 of these out there

The only thing I can add is the 1931 W517 set uses many of the same images as the "1925-31 PC Back Exhibits" (aka "Set 81", PC792-2), except they glued a number to the front (which then fell off on the 2 numberless variations PWaner, Vance)

here is a link to an auction for some of the W517 original art (very similar to the ones on eBay today)
http://www.lelands.com/Auction/Aucti...iginal-Art-(3)

Adam W probably knows, but I think W517s and the minis may have been made by the Exhibit Supply Co., (I think I read something about that)

Maybe all these "original arts" came from same find ??? I just did a quick search (Im at McD and got good internet speed for once ) and see on Adams Exhibit page he shows one of these Exhibit original arts... so he (and obviously "orioleal123") knew about these for a while

Last edited by fkw; 12-17-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:44 PM

Most to all of the Exhibit photos came from the owner/president of the Exhibit Supply Co. He consigned them in large lots in auctions, with the lots coming with a hand signed letter from him. I had the boxing and wrestling Exhibit photos, which included his letter and an Exhibit Supply Co. certificate authenticating the photos. His letter basically gave a history of the company and how he obtained it-- he was the second owner. The founder/original owner sold the company, with its archives, as he was ready to retire. The second owner had been the owner of several collectible stores in Saint Louis when he bought out Exhibit Supply.

Last edited by drc; 12-18-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:58 PM
Barry Arnold

Default leon

congrats!!!
great acquisitions for your collection!
i've been on a similar quest and have framed the vintage card with the original photo: my 3 favs are T206 tannehill with conlon photo; T3 Paskert with conlon photo; Medwick S&S game card with Burke photo---and I even jumped out of my parameters of 1900-39 and picked up a Brace photo and
a Galasso of Bobby Thomson(both items autographed---autographs are out of my 'parameters' as well.
You're right; it is great fun.
all the best and Merry Christmas ole friend,
barry
Old 12-17-2011, 06:59 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkw View Post
if you didnt get any you still have a chance..... there are more than 14 of these out there
Actually I believe there are 2 more and I am sure spirited bidding will happen again. If there were 14 more I think there would still be spirited bidding.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:05 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Guess I just saw them both on your link then. I had a few sniped set today but got blown away... cant wait to see what these 2 go for now

I like this stuff too, but they are out of my league right now
Old 12-17-2011, 08:02 PM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

I went after them as well, but unfortunately I only brought along a West Side Story model pocket knife. Who knew you actually needed a double barrel bazooka with lazer sight?????????

Lovely Day...
Old 12-17-2011, 08:20 PM

Here was one from the lot I bought some years back. The art for the 1930s Exhibit Bronco Nagurski wrestling card. One only known example of the final card is known.

Last edited by drc; 12-17-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:29 AM
Bill T.

Default A little more about the photos

I traded e-mails with the seller. Here's what he had to say.

"Upon close examination, it looks like they are the original photos glued onto very heavy card stock.

The size is a bit confusing. Peckinpaugh, Sisler, Simmons, Waner, Speaker, Barnes, Todt and Wilson are much larger than exhibits. Even ignoring the border frame, those images are all at least 5 3/4 by 8 inches. The others, though, - Wheat, Frisch, Bassler, Harris, McQuillan, Heilman, Bottomley and Topocer - have image sizes the same as exhibits.

I bought them in a Lew Lipset auction about 30 years ago."

And yes, I showed up with my pocketknife too.

Bill
Old 12-18-2011, 07:40 AM
Steve Birmingham

I saw them and wanted one, then totally forgot about them and missed the auctions.

I'm actiually glad they went for good prices well outside my budget. Now I don't have to be sad I forgot about them.

Steve B
Old 12-18-2011, 07:58 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

That was a good, old-fashioned bidding war, wasn't it? I had no idea what they would sell for since I hadn't seen one offered since the Bohne I picked up with the Bill Terry W517 some years ago. I way underestimated them but happened to be watching them as the first few went off and was able to up my game and go after a few of them:

I'd hate to think what Ruth, Gehrig or Cobb would sell for; I'd probably have to sell a kidney...

As for the W517 and related cards and their relations to the Exhibit sets, I believe they are related because the art spills over between the sets. Here is the W517 Bill Terry original art:

Here's the original art for an early Lucille Ball card:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-18-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:16 AM
Phil Garry

The '25 Exhibit Gehrig would be the Rookie Card too. I would imagine that photo might go for over $10K, what do you think?
Old 12-18-2011, 08:27 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman42 View Post
I traded e-mails with the seller. Here's what he had to say.

"Upon close examination, it looks like they are the original photos glued onto very heavy card stock.

The size is a bit confusing. Peckinpaugh, Sisler, Simmons, Waner, Speaker, Barnes, Todt and Wilson are much larger than exhibits. Even ignoring the border frame, those images are all at least 5 3/4 by 8 inches. The others, though, - Wheat, Frisch, Bassler, Harris, McQuillan, Heilman, Bottomley and Topocer - have image sizes the same as exhibits.

I bought them in a Lew Lipset auction about 30 years ago."

And yes, I showed up with my pocketknife too.

Bill
Now that is really interesting from an Exhibit historical perspective. The size differential may have something to do with when the specific cards were made. Waner was in the PCL in 1925 but starred at Pittsburgh in 1926, Speaker wasn't at Philly until February 1928, Peckinpaugh was traded to the WS in January 27 [and bizarrely had a corrected card with Cleveland--where he managed--issued in the set]. On the other side, Bassler's last full season was 1925; he was a scrub for two years then out of baseball. I've long theorized that there was not a discrete "set" issued but rather successive print runs of these cards with changes made on the fly to replace unpopular players or to add in newly emerging talent; perhaps the differently sized raw art is indicative of those changes?

Or not...
Old 12-18-2011, 09:25 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default well

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
The '25 Exhibit Gehrig would be the Rookie Card too. I would imagine that photo might go for over $10K, what do you think?
Shown several times before, and I don't know if the photo for the Exhibit is this one particular photo, but this is the picture that is on it. It didn't go for too much more than the top HOF'ers last night. Soon I might start a thread on photos used to make cards.....Hope no one would mind.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:19 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Already doing my own gallery of photos used to make exhibit cards:

http://imageevent.com/exhibitman/cardimages

1st 4 images

Or not...
Old 12-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
Here was one from the lot I bought some years back. The art for the 1930s Exhibit Bronco Nagurski wrestling card. One only known example of the final card is known.

Or not...
Old 12-18-2011, 12:28 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Already doing my own gallery of photos used to make exhibit cards:

http://imageevent.com/exhibitman/cardimages

1st 4 images
Very nice, Adam. Eventually I will do a section on my personal collection website where I have the photos and any of the corresponding cards will be. I have already been looking at '25 Exhibit Gehrig cards. I shouldn't have sold my one I bought raw as NR-MT-MT (coming back a 5 from a TPG). However, it brought some coin back in the day (8-9 yrs ago). I think I just have too many projects going.

Since I started this thread I guess I can go off topic in it, concerning projects? Whilst collecting the photos fervently, I just now (minutes ago) updated my T210 series run. I had waited and waited to acquire them in groups and finally I completed it. None are typically high grade as I tend to collect lower end cards with nice eye appeal. Whatever floats your boat!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pt210x9final.jpg (84.8 KB, 103 views)
Old 12-18-2011, 12:33 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default w517

Staying with Adam's theme on W517 art here is one.....and it came in a nice display to boot!!

Old 12-18-2011, 12:51 PM

Another of my favorites, boxer heavyweight champ Ezzard Charles. It has a photo pasted to a heavy board with more than half of the photo painted ink ink. His name is hand painted on. Notice that his trunks and much of his glove is completely painted. I consider this a work of art.

Now that I remember, I should add that many to most of these photos, at least the ones I had, had a small printer's instruction sheet loosely affixed on back, listing what colors inks were to be used, proofs, etc. Adam's Lucille Ball shown above has one. I'm not saying they all have the sheet, as that may not be the case. I can't even remember if all mine had the sheet.

Last edited by drc; 12-18-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:04 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The finished product, signed by Mr. Charles.

Or not...
Old 12-19-2011, 12:23 AM

Nice pick up all...I managed to snag Bucky Harris. I just picked up his exhibit card so I'm stoked to have gotten the photo!

Ricky Y