NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Default OT.....Vick gets 23 months in the big house

Posted By: fkw

My first OT, but Im sure some are interested.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,316319,00.html

Old 12-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

If he serves the full sentence he'll still be shy of thirty. If he spends his time in the weight room and library he can step right from prison onto an NFL roster. I'm not a fan of his but I hope he makes it.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad

Course he'll make it! Money Talks and...

Old 12-11-2007, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark T

He spends half the time...he will be out in 12 months.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

According to the article the federal guidelines only call for a 3 month reprieve if he behaves himself, for good time. He will do a minimum of 25 months counting time served. I wonder how he would feel if someone did to him what he did to the dogs? That should have been his punishment, imo. regards

Old 12-11-2007, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Mark - it's federal prison - there is no parole board to get an early release. The only thing that can get him out earlier is good behavior, and at most, by law, I believe he can earn 30 days per year so 2 months early is the limit.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

While he will still be young enough to resume his football career, you have to think that if he ever steps on the field again he will be booed mercilessly and endlessly. Hopefully a team will look at the whole picture and decide he is not worth the trouble.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Tons of celebrities and athletes have regained there careers after a major controversy. It all depends on how the media portray Vick's after his jail time!

Old 12-11-2007, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lance

It seems Vick is another product of his surroundings. Just ask Oprah. Question: If any of us had committed the same immoral acts, would we get the same "country club" jail time or would it be the state pen? 23 months will be a cake walk and he will back in the NFL before the play-offs in '09. If Rose can't be in the hall, Vick shouldn't be allowed in the NFL. Two unrelated crimes, but basically the same in the let down felt by millions of kids (and adults) around the world. I have no doubts the NFL will fail this test, but it could really make a statement when Vick tries to re-enter the game. But then again, the NFL really put it to Ricky "I love Mary-J" Williams...LOL!

Have a great day,
Lance

Old 12-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Dale

ESPN was reporting he is due out in May of 2009 in part due to time served and the potential for some time off with good behavior. Thats just in time to join the 2009/10 season. He misses 07 and 08 only. His going in early was intended to get him into the 09/10 season. He stays in shape he'll be 29 years old and without a hint of injury. I just don't think he has the mental capacity to rejoin a team as a QB but he might make a heck of RB/WR at that time.

Our society had half a brain they'd have put him back in the game next year and made him forfeit his income to the SPCA...tell me the SPCA wouldn't be better off with a few million from his services?

Old 12-11-2007, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Howard

I have to admit that I didn't much follow this case. However, what I have read the last hour or two has caused me to change my mind. While I still hope that he reforms himself I have no desire to ever see him make it in the NFL again.

Lance, where is Vick going to do his time? Not all federal prisons are "country clubs".

Jim, good point. The ASPCA surely could use the dough. At least the judge ordered that he pay one million to care for the dogs he left alive on his property.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Administrator

SPCA has killed more Cats and Dogs then all of the illegal dog fighting organizations put together!

Old 12-11-2007, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Yes brad they have; but I sure hope you can see the conditions of those deaths were quite different. Perhaps with some of Vicks money they could have saved a few million more.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lance

My only experience with Federal Pens is from the state of Pennsylvania and you can see the tennis courts from the road.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Jim,

I see you point, it just make a funny argument!

Old 12-11-2007, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

judge in the case...reminds me of tbob.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

He gets 15% off for good behavior and 2 months of halfway house. Plus, you guys are not factoring in Goodell's suspension which will probably be tacked after his release or the state charges which are pending.

Very tough sentence for this sort of offense but welcomed in my opinion.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Now that he is sentenced the league can suspend him for a year now - and gee that can be the 2008 season he's going to miss anyway. I don't get the state charges when the feds have already had their way with him - seems like double jeopardy to me? I don't care for the creep one bit but don't care to see people punished by two different governments for the same crime. I'm glad they got a million cash out of him for the care of the remaining dogs - just wish they'd have gotten a seasons' worth of cash out of him too.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

With all due respect...."SPCA" stands for Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. The reason they put so many to sleep is because us humans are such idiots we don't take care of them. Vick tortured dogs.....Your statement makes no sense at all.....although, yes, technically they do put them down...they do it because there is nothing else to do. regards

Old 12-11-2007, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob C

I have a colleague who is a deputy attorney general for the Southern District of Florida. He tells me under federal sentencing guidelines, the most time off for good behavior anyone can get is 51 days for each 12 months sentenced. Since Mr. Vick was sentenced to 23 months, he is eligible for a maximum 51 days time off of his sentence for good behavior. That's it.
My friend also told me the judge is a dog lover…nice job judge!

Old 12-11-2007, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Leon,

I also know what the acronym S.P.C.A. stands for!

I was just making a funny argument!

Old 12-11-2007, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: rob

What Michael Vick did was morally reprehensible and heinous. He is being punished according to the legal system we all are both protected by and rely on. He will serve his time in jail for the prescribed amount decreed by the judge, but after that, he is free to be gainfully employed anyway he is able. Would it be a PR nightmare for any team to sign him, of course, but he has every right to pursue a football career after he serves his time. I dont understand why people are so riled up about his being able to earn a living, there are plenty of ex-cons who served their time in jail and are now in the labor force.

To be perfectly clear, I am supporting our legal system and the rights of our citizens to pursue a life after they have paid their debt, I am not condoning Michael Vicks' behavior in any way, shape or form.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Brad- the S.P.C.A. does unfortunately put animals down, but they do so humanely, and the animal feels little to no pain.

Vick and his goons were drowning, beating, and electrocuting dogs simply because they weren't good fighters. You can't possibly compare the two.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:29 PM
Administrator

YES, I understand the medical prosegurs on how animals are put it to sleep!

Old 12-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John J. Grillo

I'm probably gonna get hammered on this one, but in my opinion, they're just freakin' dogs...someone sexually assaults a little girl in Vermont, gets slapped on the wrist and no one cares. Someone scars an innocent child for life and we as a society just shrug it off; yet, when it comes to dogs people go ape----! Don't get me wrong I think dogs are nice to have and would never consider harming an animal, but I still do not understand the severity of the sentence. Pay a fine, do community service, but the guy's career shouldn't end because of this. I just think we as a society are slowly losing our minds.

Edited to change word on second line from "abuses" to "sexually assaults."

Old 12-11-2007, 03:51 PM
Administrator

John, two thoughts: often times people who torture animals progress to torturing humans; and second, if a little girl was harmed the way Vick harmed those dogs he'd get the death penalty. I'd say if a little girl's life is worth the death penalty numerous innocent dogs are worth at least about 17 months in prison.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John J. Grillo

Jeff, sorry, but I am not going to buy the argument Vick (or people who participate in these betting schemes) were going to torture humans next...I would like to see the data on that one! So you don't consider sexually assaulting a 9 year old girl torture! Tell that one to the little girl and her parents.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Administrator

John, of course I view sexual assault of a little girl as torture -- which is why I think the death penalty is ok for this sort of offense. As for the 'betting scheme' that you described, you're right: people who bet illegally usually do not end up killing people thereafter; however, people who torture animals often do move on to humans. That's a fact.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Simeone

John,
Your right you are going to get hammered on this one."theyre just freakin dogs" Maybe someone should hold your head under water or stick battery charger cables to you . Only a moron would make a statement like that!! As for the little girl I wont even give you a comment on that one. The man got what he deserved and IMO he should have been given more time.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Prizner

"I just think we as a society are slowly losing our minds."

and you're leading the way.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dstudeba

Rob, very well put.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Howard

Well put, Jeff. I for one don't begrudge Vick the right to pursue a football career. However, I hope his skills have eroded to the point that he doesn't make it back. I'd prefer that another player, one who has no record of violence against animals or humans, have the job Vick would have had. Vick can get a regular job like the rest of us. I'd even make some calls on his behalf.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Larry

Those dogs wouldn't have been salvagable anyway since they were trained to kill. Let them out and they probably go attack the nearest person.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Larry, that is most likely true. But they could still live happyish lives if they are properly cared for with Vick's money.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Pomilla

Wrong, Larry. Next time speak from knowledge, not hype.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/01/vick.dogs/

Old 12-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Bob, that is great news.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

both times. You and I are big-time animal lovers as well as many on the board. My animal are my kids . The 2 Maltese I have now ,I bet i spend 2 hours with them daily .Keeps me from dealing with everyday people.

Leon ,people do not take care of animals. Too many thugs and not enough good parenting. Iam about to get my first gun cause of the violent nature today and how much has changed in the last 30 yrs.

I think about how serene my parents made me feel as a kid , man those times were special. THey passed in 96 and 98 ,Iam glad that my dad (a highly decorated soldier in WWII) didnt have to see 9- 11,I could have seen his face that day, "DIRTY BASTARDS" and this is what Vick is : A DIRTY BASTARD. He also should not be allowed to play again.

edited spelling

Old 12-11-2007, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Dan, I've always said that you can tell a lot about people that truly love animals.