NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-19-2009, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Default Scan "Fixing"

Posted By: Matt

How does everyone feel about using software to improve scan quality/resolution? When I scan cards in, I always make sure that any settings that would affect sharpness/color/contrast are not engaged but I have noticed that many dealers use some of the features in photo software to enhance images of their cards. How do others feel about this practice? Are some enhancements OK but others not?

My Trade/Sale Page

Old 03-19-2009, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Default Scan "Fixing"

Posted By: Steve F

I really like what Wonka did to Barry's images!

Old 03-19-2009, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Default Scan "Fixing"

Posted By: davidcycleback

I use a digital camera, and sometimes the original unaltered pic makes the item look different than the item I have in front of me-- darker, lighter, different color tint, etc. Scanners may be more accurate.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Default Scan "Fixing"

Posted By: barrysloate

You know Steve, I looked an awful lot like Brad Pitt before Wonka touched up those photos!

Matt- one of the things I sell on ebay are large cents, which are early American copper pennies. Because they are so dark, they are almost impossible to scan. If I don't enhance the pictures, all you really see is a brown disc without any detail. So in order to show them, we always lighten the picture quite a bit, and then the details come out. You may not have the exact same problem with a baseball card, but my point is sometimes there is a valid reason to do it.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Default Scan "Fixing"

Posted By: Tim

If its done to better show the condition of the card then I dont have a problem with it.

If its done to make the card appear in better condition than it is, I have a big problem with that.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Default Scan "Fixing"

Posted By: scott brockelman

Don't let the EAC guys catch you calling them "Pennies" you might be shot. As you know pennies are from Great Britain. happy.gif

Scott

Old 03-20-2009, 04:50 AM
Administrator

Default Scan "Fixing"

Posted By: barrysloate

Good point Scott- I am careful to call them large cents.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:44 AM
Administrator

Default Scan "Fixing"

Posted By: Laura

IMO, if a seller adjusts the color or contrast of a scan in order to make what he sees on his screen more closely match the card itself, then he is doing a good thing for potential buyers.

Scanners can add or subtract all sorts of things: add in noise or a color cast, subtract details or contrast. To adjust the photo in those instances seems like responsible seller behavior (and I do such myself.)

But to manipulate an image so as to hide problems or improve details such as condition is a big no-no in my book. I figure my buyers want clean, clear images where they can see any possible issues. This both protects me as a buyer, and lets them know exactly what they are getting.

One caveat: your screen and my screen may show an image differently. The majority of people with scanners have not calibrated their screen to their input/output, and a seller has no way to ensure that what they see on their screen will match what a buyer sees on theirs. So there's always going to be room for variation.

Laura

Old 03-21-2009, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Default Scan "Fixing"

Posted By: Mike Garcia

Thanks for the tip on screen variation ( poster vs. viewer ) ; ummm , can anyone calibrate that input/output feature/function ? Where is it located ? Thanks , regards , Mike

Old 03-22-2009, 04:31 AM
Administrator

Default Scan "Fixing"

Posted By: Anonymous

"How does everyone feel about using software to improve scan quality/resolution?"

If the purpose is to get a more accurate depiction of the card, I am all for it.

In my posts on this board, I use a Canon scanner. I find that to get the card more accurately depicted I have to decrease the red in the original scan and increase the blue in the "Color Balance" feature. I also usually have to increase the brightness of the picture.

Now, as for the flipside of the question: To use the software to improve quality/resolution of a card or product with the sole intent of selling cards/memorabilia in a better state than the product is actually in is fraud.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:03 AM
Administrator

Default Scan "Fixing"

Posted By: Matt

I appreciate all of the well thought out responses. What I was hoping for is that we would come to consensus on objective guidelines for what is and isn't allowed (analogous to the unwritten hobby rules about not doctoring cards). It seems everyone agrees that enhancing scans to make the cards look better then they actually are is a problem, but most also have no problem enhancing scans if it gives a more accurate representation of the card. The end result, is that there isn't an objective standard of what type of enhancements are or are not OK (i.e. enhancing sharpness is a no-no), but rather it is about intent.

My Trade/Sale Page