NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 10-16-2018, 09:33 PM
chlankf chlankf is offline
Craig L.
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Des Moines metra area
Posts: 164
Default

Quote:
I might have landed the card in Leland's if they used this.
+1
__________________
Des Moines/Iowa Baseball collector
Always looking for:
OJ's - Des Moines, Sioux City, Burlington
1954 Old Homestead Frank's:
- Bellino, Hoffmeister, Stanka, Thurlby
Pre-1957 Des Moines baseball memorbilia

Successful transactions with:
quinsryche, Andy Sandler, Shernan30, megalimey, buymycards, Doug D., BlueDevil89, oldmancards, edhans, OldOriole, 36GoudeyMan
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-17-2018, 10:53 AM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is online now
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 25,971
Default

The key to winning an item is to pay more than anyone else. Increments have never bothered me too much. I bid what I want within the specified ranges. If I don't win it wasn't meant to be. I don't know if lower increments would help or hurt.
__________________
Leon Luckey
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-17-2018, 11:26 AM
Aquarian Sports Cards Aquarian Sports Cards is offline
Scott Russell
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,340
Default

The two trains of though in the auction world are:

1. Lower increments encourage more bidders to participate and also make it less painful to extend one's self above what was originally planned.

2. Higher bid increments net bigger totals because if you want it at the end you are going to have to pay the bigger jump.

I lean towards #1 personally.
__________________
Great experience buying from edjs and mybuddyinc. Check out my ebay store, weird, eclectic, accurate, and reasonable! http://stores.ebay.com/Aquarian-Sports-Cards Also check out http://www.birminghamauctioneers.com
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-17-2018, 01:22 PM
Michael B Michael B is offline
Mh wߥ
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
i just double-checked. neither Heritage or REA have 10 percent increments.
Heritage does appear to have 10% bid increments based on the bidding table posted by AGuiness. From $50 up it is 10% of the bid on the low end of the bid level and 5% on the high end. As an example: In the $50 to $99 bid level the increment is $5.00. That is 10% of $50.00 and 5.05% of $99.00. This holds true for every bid level up to $9,999,999.00
__________________
'Integrity is what you do when no one is looking'

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-17-2018, 02:44 PM
RedsFan1941 RedsFan1941 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 737
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Heritage does appear to have 10% bid increments based on the bidding table posted by AGuiness. From $50 up it is 10% of the bid on the low end of the bid level and 5% on the high end. As an example: In the $50 to $99 bid level the increment is $5.00. That is 10% of $50.00 and 5.05% of $99.00. This holds true for every bid level up to $9,999,999.00
true. and a broken clock is right twice a day. of course there are going to be SOME increments that are 10%. what was stated is that ALL increments are 10% which is not accurate.
__________________
R0nnie L3hman
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-17-2018, 02:53 PM
AGuinness AGuinness is offline
Garth Guibord
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Heritage does appear to have 10% bid increments based on the bidding table posted by AGuiness. From $50 up it is 10% of the bid on the low end of the bid level and 5% on the high end. As an example: In the $50 to $99 bid level the increment is $5.00. That is 10% of $50.00 and 5.05% of $99.00. This holds true for every bid level up to $9,999,999.00
I don't deserve credit for posting that table, as I was quoting pokerplyr80...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-17-2018, 02:58 PM
Michael B Michael B is offline
Mh wߥ
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
true. and a broken clock is right twice a day. of course there are going to be SOME increments that are 10%. what was stated is that ALL increments are 10% which is not accurate.
My statement was that Heritage DOES have 10% bid increments which refutes your earlier post:

Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
i just double-checked. neither Heritage or REA have 10 percent increments.


It does not matter if they have lower bid increments. At every bid level the starting bid increment is 10% which you stated was not true.
__________________
'Integrity is what you do when no one is looking'

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-17-2018, 02:58 PM
AGuinness AGuinness is offline
Garth Guibord
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
The two trains of though in the auction world are:

1. Lower increments encourage more bidders to participate and also make it less painful to extend one's self above what was originally planned.

2. Higher bid increments net bigger totals because if you want it at the end you are going to have to pay the bigger jump.

I lean towards #1 personally.
I've been thinking about increments (because I have to have SOMETHING to think about, right?) and I'm wondering if higher bid increments also may contribute to more early bidding. I'm very inexperienced in the AH world, but if I had really been on my game for the Leland's auction, I would have put in an early autobid up to the $76 level to "claim" that bid first. Since the increments in this case seemed to have dissuaded any bidding above that level, it would pay to be the first in the door at that level. This only works if the increments remain consistent for all bidders (which based on others posting in this thread, isn't always the case).
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-17-2018, 03:12 PM
Aquarian Sports Cards Aquarian Sports Cards is offline
Scott Russell
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,340
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuinness View Post
I've been thinking about increments (because I have to have SOMETHING to think about, right?) and I'm wondering if higher bid increments also may contribute to more early bidding. I'm very inexperienced in the AH world, but if I had really been on my game for the Leland's auction, I would have put in an early autobid up to the $76 level to "claim" that bid first. Since the increments in this case seemed to have dissuaded any bidding above that level, it would pay to be the first in the door at that level. This only works if the increments remain consistent for all bidders (which based on others posting in this thread, isn't always the case).
Certainly a case to be made for this as point #3.
__________________
Great experience buying from edjs and mybuddyinc. Check out my ebay store, weird, eclectic, accurate, and reasonable! http://stores.ebay.com/Aquarian-Sports-Cards Also check out http://www.birminghamauctioneers.com
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-17-2018, 03:52 PM
pokerplyr80's Avatar
pokerplyr80 pokerplyr80 is offline
je.sse @rnot
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: California
Posts: 2,869
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuinness View Post
I don't deserve credit for posting that table, as I was quoting pokerplyr80...
I don't know how much credit I deserve for copying and pasting a table but I'll take it.
__________________
Successful transactions with peter spaeth, don's cards, vwtdi, wolf441, 111gecko, Clydewally, Jim, SPMIDD, MattyC, jmb, botn, E107collector, begsu1013, and a few others.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/pokerplyr80
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Auction bid increments Snapolit1 Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 10 10-08-2016 09:46 AM
bidding slot increments gripe 1952boyntoncollector Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 15 12-12-2014 11:18 PM
Mastro & Other auctions..why the 10% bid increments?? Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 30 06-10-2007 07:25 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 AM.


ebay GSB