NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-28-2018, 02:08 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
This.
This- Dmitry Drub.itsky - sterlingFox

Last edited by Leon; 06-28-2018 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:20 PM
D.mitr.y D.

maxcollector69 never responded to me again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
i would of said, ill still buy the card for the same price...please show me the card..no reason to refund
Old 06-28-2018, 02:27 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingfox View Post
Here's the proof that maxcollector69 lied to me.

Was I too aggressive with my approach to Joe? Yes, absolutely. But I'm also outraged at this whole situation, and really just wanted some answers. I didn't feel like a phone call would have solved or proved anything, as Joe made it clear that he wasn't going to reveal any info about the trading partner. And just like Andrew's insensitive initial response to Patrick, my correspondence with Joe was fueled by anger and frustration. All I had to go on at that point was that the card was in Joe's inventory and relisted on eBay at a 500% markup over what I had paid.

I don't expect to ever get this card for $1200. I actually moved on from that long ago, but when the card showed back up on eBay a few days ago, it got me angry all over again.

Once whoever Joe decides to relay the information to about the trading partner reaches out to me and confirms that it's legit, I'll happily apologize to Joe.

I'd much prefer getting the trading partner's contact info so I can at least try to find out who actually bought the card from maxcollector69, but that looks like it won't happen at this point.

My FULL NAME is Dmitry Drubitsky
At this point.....If I was Joe you would not get anything further from me after your repeated attempts to ruin my reputation among other things. Have a hissy fit all you want but it really is time to move on and let this one go.

Geez its just cards man. This is not life and death.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post
At this point.....If I was Joe you would not get anything further from me after your repeated attempts to ruin my reputation among other things. Have a hissy fit all you want but it really is time to move on and let this one go.

well said
Old 06-28-2018, 02:52 PM
Al Richter

I wish I had a lot of influence on the card collecting community.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:14 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I wish I had a lot of influence on the card collecting community.
I think have a ton.

It seems I can drop the value of a card simply by buying it.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:10 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I hate to take sides when I'm not involved and this is more a general comment.

You cannot make yourself whole by damaging someone else.
+1

I'd move on. You win some, you lose some, that's how it goes. While looking through this thread, I didn't realize how much the value of this card has gone up. I consigned a beautiful SGC 5 of this card to Goodwin in 2011, and it sold for $1400 after BP: Link.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:36 PM

Andrew - apology accepted and reciprocated.

Cheers,
Patrick
Old 06-28-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed25 View Post
I see the photos are not clear so here is the ebay conversation transcribed:

OP: Did you purchase this from maxcollector69?

Me: No.

OP: Are you selling it as a consignment for someone else then? I'm asking because I purchased
and paid for this card from eBay user maxcollector69 about a month ago. The order was then
cancelled and refunded before it shipped. Whoever bought it stole it from me by offering the
seller more, and I need to know who did that to me. If not you, then I need to know who. If you
can't provide that info then I'll assume it was you.

Me: No I am not.

OP: Then it was you who stole this card from me. Thanks for clearing that up.
I will be making sure your eBay business suffers as much as possible.
It will be the biggest mistake you've ever made in your life by the time I'm finished with you.
maxcollector69 is already feeling the effects of the part that he played in this.
Expect to also hear from MANY others who have already heard my story, and know exactly
what you did.

Me: This is the fourth email I got from someone saying he bought this card. I know almost
nothing about cards. I am an autograph dealer. I only get cards in trades. Someone traded
me this card for an expensive autograph. To think that I would follow an eBay sale of this
card and message the seller after to sell it to me is a little crazy as I don’t deal in cards
and I wouldn’t know what a dietshe postcard is if it hit me in the head. Hope this clears
things up.

OP: Again, unless I get specific details on who you got this card from, I will assume it was you who
stole it from me.
Others are messaging you on MY behalf.
Check eBay sales within the last 90 days and you'll see this card sold for $1200 as a BUY IT
NOW. I was the buyer.
The seller cancelled on me after I paid. Someone offered maxcollector69 more to cause the
cancellation.
Unless you tell me who you got this card from, I'll have to assume it was YOU!
And selling it for $6K tells me you know A LOT about this card.
DO NOT attempt to lie to me. IT WILL NOT WORK!

Me: I told you exactly what happened with this card. Obviously I can research a cards value.
But I am not a Card dealer and it is ludicrous to think that I would follow an eBay Auction
and message him after on an obscure card that I don’t deal in. I would never do such a
thing. Also I don’t appreciate being threatened.

OP: I'm asking you one last time, who did you get this card from? I won't ask again...

And I don't appreciate being lied to and stolen from. Even if it wasn't you, if you don't tell me
who you got this card from, then you're covering for the perp, which makes you just as
responsible! And I still think it was you!

Me: I am available to speak after 11 am est. Feel free to
call.

OP: I work during the day and come home to 3 young children, so I don't have the time to call
anyone.
I'm just asking for proof that you didn't get the card from maxcollector69. That should be easy
enough to provide.
Right now all evidence points to you.

Me: After work is fine. I have 4 little kids as well. Thanks

OP: Who should I ask for when calling?
I'm still going to need real proof.
Telling me something like you made a trade with a stranger at a show won't cut it for me.

Me: Joe.
It was not at a show. It was from someone who buys from me

OP: That won't help either of us, unfortunately, and eliminates the need for a phone call. I would hope
that you don't engage in large transactions like that without first getting some personal info from your
trading partner, but it doesn't seem like you did that. It's a situation like this that you could have
avoided. That is, if any of what you're saying is true. As far as I can see, you can't prove anything,
but I can prove you're in possession of the Cobb. That's all I'll need.

Okay, now we're getting somewhere. I'll need a full name, email address, and if you have it,
eBay user ID and home address of your trading partner.

Me: Of course I have the persons name but I’m not going to give the name of one of my
clients. Call me. You will see I’m honest and I would never do such a horrible thing. I
definitely feel your pain. All the best, Joe

OP: Hi Joe, I really want to believe you, but this isn't looking good for you without any proof or
willingness to cooperate.
I'm sure you're already getting messages from people who will vow to never do business with
you again - you'll be getting much more of this over the coming days, weeks and months. I
have a lot of influence on the card collecting community, and have no issues reaching out to
the memorabilia side as well.
I will need that name and email address to let you off the hook.
If you have any sympathy at all about this situation, you'll do the right thing and make sure that
the right person is exposed for what they did.

Me: Let’s talk when you are
free.

OP: I appreciate your willingness to reach out and speak to me, but nothing short of your client's
information will help either of us.
Covering for your client makes you just as guilty, unfortunately.

Me: With all due respect I think if you were in my shoes you would not want to give a clients
information. I really think it will be a benefit to talk. Please call. Thanks. Joe

OP: I would happily provide their information if I was given proof that they were potentially
engaging in such devious behavior. I'd also never do business with them again, but it's
obvious that you value their business more than your own ethics.
It's possible there was another exchange before it reached your client, but that will need to be
researched.
As it stands, the ball is in your court, and you're still covering for your client. That's all I need to
know.

Me: Again I am willing to talk. I don’t want to fight with you. I would never do anything like
some people are suggesting. I cannot give a clients name. If you change your mind and
are willing to talk I am always available. I wish you the best. Joe

OP: You've taken your stance and I've taken mine. I just hope you can accept the consequences of
your actions.
Joe you have the patience of a saint. I can’t imagine letting anyone speak to me like this for as long as you did. Over a baseball card. Kudos.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:04 PM

nevermind.

Last edited by asoriano; 06-28-2018 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:01 AM
Jos.eph Dw.ek

Default Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMPEP View Post
Andrew - apology accepted and reciprocated.

Cheers,
Patrick
Thank you.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:23 AM
Jason Wells

"I have a lot of influence on the card collecting community" best line of this whole thread
Old 06-30-2018, 08:37 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post

A little tired of people saying 'its just cards' thats pretty unfair to say...its about someone being dishonest and about money.

lets see you lose $4000 on a deal and have people say....don't worry its just cards..

His deal involved a least a thousand or so....if its not a big deal...why dont one of you people who say 'its just cards' give him the thousand dollars..afterall its just cards and not over much...so should be easy to give it to him...
Old 06-30-2018, 05:24 PM
St3phen M@rchillo

But the rest of that reply was 1000% spot on. The anger is directed at the wrong people. Andrew and Joe could have ignored the OP from the beginning. Instead they explained the situation and withheld the information they weren’t comfortable sharing. The OP went way overboard with them simply because the original scum seller didn’t engage him. I felt bad for the OP when this was first posted but feel much less sympathetic as this thread progressed. I don’t like the bullying tone the OP took so for someone to say “it’s just cards” isn’t the worst thing to say.

I’d also go on to say that I’d certainly do business with Andrew and Joe if the situation presented itself.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:25 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Posession is 9/10ths of the law. Until the card is in your possession, it isn't yours, unless legally a seller can be forced to complete the sale or be forced to make the buyer whole. The seller can always say it was a pricing error , card is lost, etc and not deliver. Bad business yes, but a 4k or higher loss is a price some people will lose their dignity, or what's left of it, for.

My situation

Sellers lists buy it now for 2500
Says he made a mistake and it was supposed to be an auction

Relists and sellers for 11,000

Now there are specific damages, but apparently Ebay is not enforceable

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-30-2018, 08:20 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
A little tired of people saying 'its just cards' thats pretty unfair to say...its about someone being dishonest and about money.

lets see you lose $4000 on a deal and have people say....don't worry its just cards..

His deal involved a least a thousand or so....if its not a big deal...why dont one of you people who say 'its just cards' give him the thousand dollars..afterall its just cards and not over much...so should be easy to give it to him...
It's a lot different if someone scams you $4000 when they send you an empty box with no card in the package or something similar versus you were about to buy a card $4000 below market price because the seller didn't know better and priced the card incorrectly.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:11 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Agree for the most part. Having been there (deal retracted) more than once on a several k deal, it sort of feels the same to me but for a fraction of the time . Just because a "great" deal doesn't happen, doesn't mean you are really out money, out of your pocket. (again, it sort of feels that way but it's not....just check your wallet, money is still there). Receive an empty box and check your wallet, money is gone. Different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
It's a lot different if someone scams you $4000 when they send you an empty box with no card in the package or something similar versus you were about to buy a card $4000 below market price because the seller didn't know better and priced the card incorrectly.

Last edited by Leon; 07-01-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:42 PM
James
James Kin.chen

So, has the OP issued an apology to Joe yet?
Old 07-01-2018, 08:37 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Default Listen and learn

delete............

My momma always said, "If you can't say something nice...."
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 07-01-2018 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:24 AM

I was thinking, what about ebay finds that did materialize, I'd like to hear some of those stories.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:44 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Agree for the most part. Having been there (deal retracted) more than once on a several k deal, it sort of feels the same to me but for a fraction of the time . Just because a "great" deal doesn't happen, doesn't mean you are really out money, out of your pocket. (again, it sort of feels that way but it's not....just check your wallet, money is still there). Receive an empty box and check your wallet, money is gone. Different.
Some people make new deals based on completed prior deals so could be out the money. Ie. you bought a card, with expectation of making X profit then take a loan on something based on the gains you will use to pay the loan back. Yes, its an extreme example but just saying you can have less money in your wallet at the end of day in several other possible outcomes. Not so easy.

Still if buy a card and get an empty box, the seller can say 'its just cards' Its about getting ripped off and money (to varying degrees) but in any event, people have a right to vent anger over being ripped off and losing money and being told 'its just cards' is kinda lame to me.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:48 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

[QUOTE=glchen;1791196]It's a lot different if someone scams you $4000 when they send you an empty box with no card in the package or something similar versus you were about to buy a card $4000 below market price because the seller didn't know better and priced the card incorrectly.[/QUOTE}

Not sure it was $4000 in market price....what amount below 'market' price woud make it ok?

I know back in the housing boom in 2005 etc...people would 'buy' a house and during pending loan approval the house would go up $50k...so the seller would then try to break the contract....... tell the buyer thats not money out of his pocket when the seller finds a way to stiff them.

of course in the end..2008 or so...most people lost......just like what will happenn to the buyers of the 1952 Baritrome
Old 07-02-2018, 08:50 AM

Default Materialized Finds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidlisa View Post
I was thinking, what about ebay finds that did materialize, I'd like to hear some of those stories.

about eight years ago this was in a ten-day auction and spent the whole ten days titled "Greemberg"....final price was a bit over $200 because of shipping from Canada....don't hate me...

Old 07-02-2018, 08:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Many times the more you say the less I understand. Sometimes I wonder about your logic. Here, I will make it simple for you.

Too good of a deal that didn't happen- Not good
Someone scamming you out of 4k- worse

I don't see anyone condoning not following through on a deal. I also don't see anyone else with your warped sense of logic.

Quote:
Some people make new deals based on completed prior deals so could be out the money. Ie. you bought a card, with expectation of making X profit then take a loan on something based on the gains you will use to pay the loan back. Yes, its an extreme example but just saying you can have less money in your wallet at the end of day in several other possible outcomes. Not so easy.

Still if buy a card and get an empty box, the seller can say 'its just cards' Its about getting ripped off and money (to varying degrees) but in any event, people have a right to vent anger over being ripped off and losing money and being told 'its just cards' is kinda lame to me.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:01 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Many times the more you say the less I understand. Sometimes I wonder about your logic. Here, I will make it simple for you.

Too good of a deal that didn't happen- Not good
Someone scamming you out of 4k- worse

I don't see anyone condoning not following through on a deal. I also don't see anyone else with your warped sense of logic.
Basically there are different degrees of being ripped off..

When buy a card with Heritage or Mile High, is it your expectation if you get too good deal on an auction they will cancel the sale? Its not like the seller didnt know anything about cards.........

what if it wasnt too good of a deal (why is everyone always giving an extreme example) what if it was just a normal deal, or maybe the buyer thinks he may of gotten or $100 under market but really wanted that card

then he is told the card is torn, but is lied too, then sees it for sale somewhere else which proves the lie. Now he cant buy the card again except by paying $300 more etc....so now hes out the $300....you can be out money different ways is all im saying.....yeah you can come up with too good to be true examples..but there are many other deals that should be legit but the buyer is legit to expect to make a profit.... people do make profits in the hobby..though not many...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 07-02-2018 at 09:02 AM.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:26 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott L. View Post
Joe you have the patience of a saint. I can’t imagine letting anyone speak to me like this for as long as you did. Over a baseball card. Kudos.
I agree. My response would have been quite different as well. The OP was way out of line. In threatening to ruin another man's business and reputation you have ruined yours in my opinion. Hopefully anyone who has seen this thread will think twice before doing business with you.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 07-02-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:42 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

The OP hasn't proved anything, but neither has Andrew/Joe (unless I missed it - I didn't read every response). If I were the OP, here's how I would handle it from here:

Dmitry, you have a confirmation email from PayPal that says you paid for the item. You also have a notification from eBay that says the item was shipped. I would take those two emails and file a police report in New Jersey saying that the card never arrived - must have been stolen. Let them know who is in possession of the card. Let the police do their own investigation. They'll determine where the card originated from real fast. If Andrew/Joe are right, you owe them an apology. If they are guilty of what you suspect them of, well then a lot of people owe you an apology. Again, that's just how I would handle it, you can do as you wish.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 07-02-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:14 AM
St3phen M@rchillo

I don't think I'd owe the OP an apology even if Joe and Andrew are lying. Those eBay messages are insane and the explanation is perfectly logical and believable. Unless the OP had 100% certainty that what he suspects is correct, then he shouldn't talk to people that way. Even if he ends up by chance being justified that Andrew and Joe did in fact take part in wrongdoing. Like a recent poster said I would not deal with the OP after this thread even if he is right in the end.

The anger the OP expressed to Joe and Andrew should have been directed at the original seller. Except the original seller simply ignored the OP and the OP is apparently too busy to make a phone call to Joe never mind file a police report in Jersey?

But part of your post is correct - nothing has been proven or disproven. The only thing we have is the OP's story, Joe/Andrew's story, and a litany of eBay messages that make the OP look terrible.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:19 AM
D.mitr.y D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
The OP hasn't proved anything, but neither has Andrew/Joe (unless I missed it - I didn't read every response). If I were the OP, here's how I would handle it from here:

Dmitry, you have a confirmation email from PayPal that says you paid for the item. I would take that email and file a police report in New Jersey saying that the card never arrived - must have been stolen. Let them know who is in possession of the card. Let the police do their own investigation. They'll determine where the card originated from real fast. If Andrew/Joe are right, you owe them an apology. If they are guilty of what you suspect them of, well then a lot of people owe you an apology. Again, that's just how I would handle it, you can do as you wish.
David,

Unfortunately, I also have an order cancellation and refund. It would be pretty silly of me to file a police report, especially if I were to claim that the card was stolen in transit, which I know it was not because it never shipped.

You've hit the nail on the head, though, with the fact that Andrew and Joe haven't proven yet that they didn't buy the card from maxcollector69. All we have so far is their word - and they are under no obligation to prove anything to me or anyone else if they choose not to.

If Andrew or Joe decide that they'd like to prove that they didn't buy the card from maxcollector69, then I absolutely owe them an apology.

Without proof, however, there is still some doubt. Nobody can possibly deny or refute that given they are the only other party that has been proven to be in possession of the card after maxcollector69 had it.

I'd like to apologize to everyone on the board, however, about how I went about pursuing this. I should not have made any threats or accusations without actual proof. I convinced myself that it was Joe simply because he was in possession of the card, and that was wrong of me.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:30 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post

about eight years ago this was in a ten-day auction and spent the whole ten days titled "Greemberg"....final price was a bit over $200 because of shipping from Canada....don't hate me...

I would have been sweating that till I opened the package. Nice deal.

In the younger days of Ebay (before the redirection to correct spellings) I had many good deals looking under Micky Mantle, Mickey Mantel, Hank Aron, Hank Arron, and tons of other misspellings. You just don't see them much anymore.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:57 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
David,

Unfortunately, I also have an order cancellation and refund. It would be pretty silly of me to file a police report, especially if I were to claim that the card was stolen in transit, which I know it was not because it never shipped.

You've hit the nail on the head, though, with the fact that Andrew and Joe haven't proven yet that they didn't buy the card from maxcollector69. All we have so far is their word - and they are under no obligation to prove anything to me or anyone else if they choose not to.

If Andrew or Joe decide that they'd like to prove that they didn't buy the card from maxcollector69, then I absolutely owe them an apology.

Without proof, however, there is still some doubt. Nobody can possibly deny or refute that given they are the only other party that has been proven to be in possession of the card after maxcollector69 had it.

I'd like to apologize to everyone on the board, however, about how I went about pursuing this. I should not have made any threats or accusations without actual proof. I convinced myself that it was Joe simply because he was in possession of the card, and that was wrong of me.

I think it's pretty clear that Andrew and Joe don't troll ebay for prewar cards that sold too cheaply. They have 6500 listings with only one prewar baseball card (The Dietsche Cobb), they have zero sales of prewar baseball cards. And 99% of their listings are autographs. I have no doubt they took this card in from a client. I think you owe them an apology without condition. It truly sucks that someone interfered with what was rightfully your card and I feel sorry that happened to you. Maxcollector69 and possibly the anonymous client is to blame for that.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:31 PM
DR
David R@tliff

Quote:
Some people make new deals based on completed prior deals so could be out the money. Ie. you bought a card, with expectation of making X profit then take a loan on something based on the gains you will use to pay the loan back.
nice try, but "expectation" does not equal "actual", and this "new deal" suggestion is just plain silly.

the only things anyone is "out" in this thread are opportunity, reputation and time.

OP didn't lose any money. He lost an opportunity to get the card, through no fault of his own. disappointing for sure, but the subsequent accusations were way over the line especially if he wouldn't pick up the phone to have the discussion.

if you collect long enough, some version of this is eventually going to happen to you. if you focus on it, you're killing the joy the joy of collecting for yourself.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:15 PM
Larry

Quote:
A very recent REA sale of an SGC 20 with heavy creasing went for $3300.
I remember when I bought the batting Dietsche pose in PSA VgEx (graded that low only because of a light water mark on the back--the card looked every bit of ExMt+ on the front and otherwise!) for $1900 some years ago, and the tougher fielding pose in PSA 5 for $4,000 in 2011. How things have changed!

Happy collecting,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 07-02-2018 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:23 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie73 View Post
I had a cat years ago that somehow knew what the valuable cards were and if I didn't play with the cat when he wanted to play, I would end up finding teeth marks on those cards. He was kinda like a little brother.
I have four cats and sometimes have cards out as I'm watching a game. When one of the felines comes close to the latter, I gently pick him up and scold it, "Cats and cards don't mix!"

Good story,

Larry
Old 07-02-2018, 07:44 PM
Joey D's In Da House!

Default Tsk tsk

Dmitry - you really DO owe an apology as you made several defamatory comments to them, spread rumors which can’t be proven, and were quite rude and obnoxious to them. What is particularly surprising is how well they handled the situation - showing you empathy, when another person in the same situation might have ended up filing suit against you.

Joe - I collect primarily cards (otherwise would add you to my watched sellers) but think you handled this situation extremely professionally

Successful transactions buy/sell/trade with: BryanDec, Bounce, Swanstars, PiratesWS1979, unamuzd1, joshchisox08, and others

Last edited by Roulette44; 07-02-2018 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-02-2018, 08:24 PM
Mike Ryan

So the "incredible Ebay find" didn't materialize and what could have been the "FLIP of the month" didn't happen. Too bad.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:23 AM
James
James Kin.chen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulette44 View Post
Dmitry - you really DO owe an apology as you made several defamatory comments to them, spread rumors which can’t be proven, and were quite rude and obnoxious to them. What is particularly surprising is how well they handled the situation - showing you empathy, when another person in the same situation might have ended up filing suit against you.
I agree 100%
Old 07-03-2018, 12:39 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
So the "incredible Ebay find" didn't materialize and what could have been the "FLIP of the month" didn't happen. Too bad.
Yea it seems like I'm in the minority around here but I dont have a lot of sympathy in general for guys who are trying to steal a card and the transaction gets canceled. If you're buying a card for less than half of what it's worth there is a decent chance a seller may wake up and realize what he has one way or another. Stores and websites like Amazon will cancel an order due to an obvious pricing mistake or error. And so will many Ebay sellers. Deal with it and move on.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:25 AM

I hope that does not apply to me, lol as my handle is hedgefund96
Old 07-03-2018, 08:41 AM
Al Richter

Do you have a lot of influence on the card collecting community ?
Old 07-03-2018, 09:03 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulette44 View Post
I agree. Also, the OP keeps saying that Joe needs to prove his innocence (see post #62 for starters), but that is backwards. The burden of proof is on OP to show that Joe acted nefariously, and he hasn't done that. He has offered up conjectures and speculation about what happened, but nothing in the way of concrete proof, and after 140 posts on the topic, I am skeptical of any turning up. Lastly, and this may be my cynical side getting the best of me, but I think some perspective is needed here: if you have $1,200 to spend on a piece of cardboard that has a true value of $3000-4000, then your problems can't be all that bad.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:12 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
I agree. Also, the OP keeps saying that Joe needs to prove his innocence (see post #62 for starters), but that is backwards. The burden of proof is on OP to show that Joe acted nefariously, and he hasn't done that. He has offered up conjectures and speculation about what happened, but nothing in the way of concrete proof, and after 140 posts on the topic, I am skeptical of any turning up. Lastly, and this may be my cynical side getting the best of me, but I think some perspective is needed here: if you have $1,200 to spend on a piece of cardboard that has a true value of $3000-4000, then your problems can't be all that bad.
When we were kids and didn't eat all of our food at dinner my dad would say, Do you know there are starving kids in the world? At which I would reply, Can you send it to them? That never went over very well.

Back to topic, I too think there is way, way too much conjecture on the OPs (hi Dmitry) part and this issue has been handled all wrong by him.

Last edited by Leon; 07-03-2018 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:15 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Yea it seems like I'm in the minority around here but I dont have a lot of sympathy in general for guys who are trying to steal a card and the transaction gets canceled. If you're buying a card for less than half of what it's worth there is a decent chance a seller may wake up and realize what he has one way or another. Stores and websites like Amazon will cancel an order due to an obvious pricing mistake or error. And so will many Ebay sellers. Deal with it and move on.
totally agree!
Old 07-03-2018, 09:45 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
When we were kids and didn't eat all of our food at dinner my dad would say, Do you know there are starving kids in the world? At which I would reply, Can you send it to them? That never went over very well.
I don’t get to geek out about logistics very often, so I’m going to take this OT for a minute, but the world’s farmers produce enough food each year to end world hunger, the problem is we don’t have a distribution network that can get food from the farms here to some tiny village deep in Africa without spending an arm and a leg to do it. And that’s before getting in to human factors like border crossings that get closed, warlords who seize the shipments for their supporters, etc.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:01 AM
Mark Fox

Quote:
The new seller is now claiming that he got the card in a trade for an expensive autograph, yet he won't tell me who he got it from.

He also claims he knows nothing of cards or Dietsche PCs, yet he has hundreds of graded cards for sale in his eBay store.

I'm now even more certain that showpiecessports is the one who bought the card from maxcollector69.
So you yourself lied, stating the new seller (Joe) has "hundreds of graded cards for sale in his eBay store." when in fact he has just 1, the card in question.

Quote:
Funny you should mention this - I just got done reporting both of them to eBay over the phone for engaging in a transaction outside of eBay.

This is a direct violation of eBay rules.

I hope they both get banned!
Quote:
While that might be true, I still feel it was worth my 10 minutes on the phone to report the incident and let eBay investigate, even if nothing comes of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joed25 View Post
OP: I work during the day and come home to 3 young children, so I don't have the time to call
anyone.
I'm just asking for proof that you didn't get the card from maxcollector69. That should be easy
enough to provide.
Right now all evidence points to you.
So you had enough time to sit on the phone with Ebay and report Joe with nothing more than speculative evidence at best, but you suddenly dont have time to sit down and talk with Joe himself in his multiple offers and attempts to talk??

Quote:
So all the evidence so far points to Joe as the buyer of the card, and I should just blindly trust his word that he's innocent?

The original seller is NOT the only person who wronged me here.

If Joe's story has any merit at all, he needs to provide info on who traded him the card. IT IS MY BUSINESS if he's the only person who can provide that info.

If I were in Joe's shoes, not only would I do everything I could to help out, including providing info on the client, I'd also never do business again with that client. Joe obviously values his client over his ethics. And that's going on a HUGE assumption that his story is even true.
Sorry, but IMO it is NOT your business to know who Joe's client is. Using scant and extremely speculative evidence entitles you to nothing that took place between Joe and his client.

This thread certainly reveals more to me about the OP than it does Joe.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:51 AM
D.mitr.y D.

An apology has been issued to Joe through eBay.

My actions were based purely on emotion rather than reason. When the Cobb resurfaced on eBay, it confirmed that I was lied to and cheated, and all I could see at that time was maxcollector69 as the seller, and Joe (wrongly) as the buyer.

I went about this all wrong, and attacked Joe without enough proof. For that, I am very sorry.

At the time, I didn't feel like a phone call was going to help my situation at all, but I was wrong about that too. I now deeply regret not having called and spoken to Joe before I let things get way out of hand.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:00 AM
Jos.eph Dw.ek

Default Apology

Apology received and accepted.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:26 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
An apology has been issued to Joe through eBay.

My actions were based purely on emotion rather than reason. When the Cobb resurfaced on eBay, it confirmed that I was lied to and cheated, and all I could see at that time was maxcollector69 as the seller, and Joe (wrongly) as the buyer.

I went about this all wrong, and attacked Joe without enough proof. For that, I am very sorry.

At the time, I didn't feel like a phone call was going to help my situation at all, but I was wrong about that too. I now deeply regret not having called and spoken to Joe before I let things get way out of hand.
you're a good man.

Last edited by ullmandds; 07-03-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:46 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
you're a good man.
Seconded.

It still sucks that someone messed with his good deal, and I would have been really hot about it too. He just let the emotions of it get the better of him.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
you're a good man.
A penitent one at least.