NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-18-2013, 01:59 PM
nels0n aud.et

Default card in bank safe deposit box

like i read in many thread, the bank safe deposit box look a popular way to protect valuable cards.

Anyone here have any problem in the past with this way ?

Any loss by fire or thieft ?

bank Safe deposit box steal is probably extremely rare ?

thanks

Last edited by g_vezina_c55; 08-18-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:21 PM
Cain J.

I keep all my valuable cards in a safe deposit box. I've had no issues at all.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:27 PM

I don't keep my cards in SDB but I do keep my gold and silver there.... Never had a problem.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:37 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

I hear that the absolute way to protect your cards is to shoot them into orbit.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:04 PM
Sean Costello

Nelson, I have kept mine in a SDB for 7 years without any problems.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:27 PM
Dave_Berg

Biggest threat probably humidity. Fire or theft from a SDB would be very rare.I would throw in some sort of desiccant pack and change every year. Especially important in a home safe !!
Old 08-18-2013, 04:54 PM

Never a problem. Given banks are air conditioned I can't imagine humidity is a problem, but I don't live on the east coast.
JimB
Old 08-18-2013, 05:04 PM
nels0n aud.et

Ok thx guy.
Do you take insurance + sdb or only the sdb ?

Last year in montreal a national bank was victim of thieft during a 3 day week end..the theift open arround 50 sdb of the 450

It is why i ask if you ever saw a case like that.

Thx

Last edited by g_vezina_c55; 08-18-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:39 PM
Val Kehl

Nelson, My SDB also serves as my "insurance" - and I keep my fingers crossed that nothing similar to what happened at the Montreal bank happens at my bank!
Val
Old 08-18-2013, 06:08 PM
nels0n aud.et

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Nelson, My SDB also serves as my "insurance" - and I keep my fingers crossed that nothing similar to what happened at the Montreal bank happens at my bank!
Val
Probably extremely rare...first time i saw a story like that in Quebec.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:15 PM

Had mine in a couple of banks for probably 15+ years. They even survived moves to different locations when my bank was bought out by another bank and the branch closed.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:18 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Have also used safe deposit boxes for 15 plus years. I've moved banks once or twice and upsized boxes with my collection. Never had a problem.. Except I can't see them when I want to
Old 08-18-2013, 09:08 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
have also used safe deposit boxes for 15 plus years. I've moved banks once or twice and upsized boxes with my collection. Never had a problem.. Except i can't see them when i want to :d
+1 :d
Old 08-18-2013, 09:13 PM

Also used safe deposit box for years. Never seen any humidity issues.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:53 AM
Bill Gregory

I'd be interested to know how many of you using sdp are also insuring those cards. When my collection has grown a little more, I plan on having my high value cards at the bank, keeping my other, less valuable cards in a safe, with sets and commons boxed and in the closet. But I anticipate I'll insure the cards at the bank, as well as those in my safe.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:25 AM
Dave_Berg

My SDB contents are not insured. Probably be wise to do so, but I haven't.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:15 AM
Danny Smith

It is always a good idea to Insure your cards In a SDB in case of fire or theft as SDBs are not covered by FDIC insurance.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:11 AM
Paul

I keep my cards in a SDB and never worry about it. I combat the potential for humidity with those little gel packs you can buy. Pretty sure collectibles insurance will not apply to items stolen from or damaged in a SDB. Before I paid for insurance on top of an SDB I would be sure to read the fine print.

On a lighter note...

http://youtu.be/Q3JePwOZ_hQ

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 08-19-2013, 10:46 AM
Al Richter

Default SDBs

I was an executor for my Uncle's estate in 1993 in St Louis. At the time he died St Louis was experiencing severe flooding. His bank was cut off and partially flooded, including the safety deposit vault. When the flood receded and I was able to get to the box, it turned out to be at the top part of the vault and was undamaged. But boxes half way up the vault were flooded and virtually all papers in them destroyed or damaged.

I am a volume set collector and do not keep my cards in a SDB, but do have a large box with a lot of papers and documents. I now am sure that the bank I use is not in a flood plane, I check to see what happens if there is a fire in any portion of the bank ( how sprinklers operate in vault), and if they keep the air conditioner going on weekends and evening, and to what degree

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 08-19-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:48 AM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Yep, SDB is the only way to go. Yeah, it's a pain not to have instant access to you cards, but definitely worth it.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:56 AM
nels0n aud.et

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I was an executor for my Uncle's estate in 1993 in St Louis. At the time he died St Louis was experiencing severe flooding. His bank was cut off and partially flooded, including the safety deposit vault. When the flood receded and I was able to get to the box, it turned out to be at the top part of the vault and was undamaged. But boxes half way up the vault were flooded and virtually all papers in them destroyed or damaged.

I am a volume set collector and do not keep my cards in a SDB, but do have a large box with a lot of papers and documents. I now am sure that the bank I use is not in a flood plane, I check to see what happens if there is a fire in any portion of the bank ( how sprinklers operate in vault), and if they keep the air conditioner going on weekends and evening, and to what degree
But with cards in Graded holder + in sealled bag, the damage by water is almost impossible.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Factors in the Selection of a Safe Deposit Box

1. The size of your collection of old cardboard

2. A large collection of raw cards can be accomodated in a modest SDB

3. But if you have a larger collection of graded cards, you may need this

4. Then of course you need to find a bank with a very large vault.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 05-05-2016 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:39 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Actually, the insurance available for cards usually covers them in a SDB, and usually to the full limit of liability at each SDB you have. Insurers absolutely love it if you keep insured items in a SDB because the likelihood of loss from theft is virtually nil but the policy premium stays the same as though they were at your home.

I've had a SDB for 30+ years for my favorite/best cards. I tend to visit them once a month or so. For me it is a cheap way to be sure that any catastrophic loss at my home--such as a fire--doesn't destroy everything.

As for humidity, bank vaults are typically climate controlled. I put a few of the silica dessicant gel packs into my SDB just in case.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-19-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:08 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Default Silica packets

Does anyone have a specific recommendation for these? I need to buy some ASAP since I've got some cards (ones that don't fit in SDB) in a semi humid/moist storage locker. Looks like there's lots choices on Amazon.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:21 PM
Brian Macdonald

It's tough being a collector and worrying about our valuables. Realizing that all our "stuff" is temporary often helps keep me grounded as far as collecting is concerned. These wise words often come to mind.

Matthew Chapter 6

19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 “But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; 21 for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

I keep some of my items in a safe...not at all fond of having possessions lost/stolen/damaged, but I try to keep in mind that at the end of the day, it's "stuff".
Old 08-19-2013, 12:48 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Actually, the insurance available for cards usually covers them in a SDB, and usually to the full limit of liability at each SDB you have. Insurers absolutely love it if you keep insured items in a SDB because the likelihood of loss from theft is virtually nil but the policy premium stays the same as though they were at your home.
Really? One of the reasons I stopped using Collectors Insurance was because of that exclusion. Maybe I misread it.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 08-19-2013, 03:18 PM
Arnie

I have had a few in one for many years, never had a problem.
I scanned the cards into my computer and printed them on photo paper and then put them in the safety deposit box. The cards i scanned and printed look great cut to life-size in my albums sheets with my real cards.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:08 PM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

I kept my valuables in a SDB for a few years until the bank went out of business and they made me come and get em. I live in a very rural area and the banks are all small and have a very limited number of boxes. It's hard to even get one. Waiting lists. Anyway, the time my cards were in the bank, I lost interest in collecting. I have them back home now and I look at them everyday. I take some precautions, but no it is not very safe. To me if you have to lock your collection away, then what's the use having it?
Old 08-19-2013, 06:34 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Default anyone.. silica packet recos?

Quote:
Does anyone have a specific recommendation for these? I need to buy some ASAP since I've got some cards (ones that don't fit in SDB) in a semi humid/moist storage locker. Looks like there's lots choices on Amazon.
Feel sort of silly bumping my own question, but will be travelling as of tomorrow for most of the next 6 weeks and would love to order some of these and stick them in my storage unit & SDB when back home at the end of the week, prior to the big travel. It looked like at least 2-3 are using them. I had never really considered using, but am cringing knowing that my storage unit is not climate controlled and cards/balls have been there for over a year.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:10 PM
Bruce C@rter

Quote:
Feel sort of silly bumping my own question, but will be travelling as of tomorrow for most of the next 6 weeks and would love to order some of these and stick them in my storage unit & SDB when back home at the end of the week, prior to the big travel. It looked like at least 2-3 are using them. I had never really considered using, but am cringing knowing that my storage unit is not climate controlled and cards/balls have been there for over a year.
There are a lot of options out there. I would use something like this. They will let you know when they are saturated and need regenerated.
http://www.cannonsafe.com/silica-gel-dehumidifier.html
Old 08-19-2013, 07:43 PM
Ted

Kept ours in a gun safe for many years. A passive desiccant is OK, but if you have one you can plug in, or at least recharge, or dry out with electricity, it is much better.

Remington makes one that you can plug into an outlet to recharge for ~ $25. Depending on conditions, I recommend you check/recharge them every 30-60 days if not more frequently.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:25 PM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

I guess I'm stupid, but I live near St. Louis. Hot and humid. Usually hell on earth (not this year). Never did anything about humidity. I've been collecting for 50 years and still have most of them from back then. Never had a card damaged by humidity. I think you guys are paranoid.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:14 PM
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadballfreaK View Post
I guess I'm stupid, but I live near St. Louis. Hot and humid. Usually hell on earth (not this year). Never did anything about humidity. I've been collecting for 50 years and still have most of them from back then. Never had a card damaged by humidity. I think you guys are paranoid.
Hotlanta may be SLIGHTLY more humid than SL. Just sayin'.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:10 PM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

Might be, but 90% is pretty bad,
Old 08-19-2013, 10:27 PM
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadballfreaK View Post
Might be, but 90% is pretty bad,
It has rained every day for the entire summer. There are mushrooms growing on the mushrooms. Ever see a "fairy ring"?
Old 08-19-2013, 10:52 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I live in L.A. Dry as the desert it is.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-19-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:58 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I live in L.A. Dry as the desert it is.
Being that you're from LA, you know we all live in fog up here.

I do feel better though now knowing another has stored in humid conditions without issue.. but feel even better being one of the paranoid that now owns (arriving Wed) two little silica gels large enough for small closet/storage space. Thanks all for input on dehumidifiers.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:30 AM
Bill Gregory

Ian, I don't know if this would fit in your sdp (or take up too much room), but I've seen this particular product recommended for a safe:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Remin...ier/707832.uts

Recommended here by Tony N http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...=126083&page=2

Hope this helps. Safe travels!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 08-20-2013 at 02:38 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:42 AM
Bill Gregory

Here's another to consider:

http://www.amazon.com/Remington-1994...fier+remington

Old 08-20-2013, 09:52 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Ian, I don't know if this would fit in your sdp (or take up too much room), but I've seen this particular product recommended for a safe:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Remin...ier/707832.uts

Recommended here by Tony N http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...=126083&page=2

Hope this helps. Safe travels!
Thanks for the suggestions Bill... Funny enough, I buy the kind that comes in a cardboard box (Hydrosorbent 900) and feel all proud, only to find out last night my wife has the same kind you've posted. She's been using it in one of our small rooms. Oh well, now we have 3 total. (posting from 30,000 ft when should be sleeping!!)
Old 08-20-2013, 10:37 AM
David Pierson
Banned

Alls I'm sayin..... "All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been
sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the
I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
Old 08-20-2013, 12:56 PM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
Really? One of the reasons I stopped using Collectors Insurance was because of that exclusion. Maybe I misread it.
I was also informed by my insurance agent that they will not issue me a policy for cards in a SDB. That said, I still prefer an SDB to home storage.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:59 PM
Eugene
Eug,ene St.ump

Default wish

I wish I had this problem.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:52 PM
Paul Lehr

I'm not knocking anyone's choice for storing or protecting there collectibles but I've personally never understood why anyone would want to store there cards in a SDB. If you need the piece of mind that your collection is safe why not buy a nice home safe for $2-$3k and keep your collection in house? If you bought an expensive piece of art would you not hang it on your wall, or inside of your local bank vault? Again, not criticizing anyone's protection methods just throwing in my two cents.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:48 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Safety deposit boxes have the advantages of climate control and security over a home safe. You might say that if you have a $2-3K safe, that's pretty secure. However, I think most people would be comfortable saying on a forum that thousands of people might read that they keep their valuable cards in a SDB rather than in a home safe. Sure, you might also add that you have guns and dogs in your house, but why invite danger when you don't need to?
Old 08-20-2013, 08:30 PM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Default Fires

I live in a very small town on the edge of the eastern sierras after living in the L A basin for over 40 years. Population 1350. No traffic lights, no banks, no doctors, no helicopters, you get the drill. Up until last week, we had less than an inch of rain for the year. Humidity can be non-existent, often under 10%. Our big worry here is fire, wind-driven wildfires. In 2011, the entire town was evacuated when a downslope wind blew a fire down a creek bed and into town, taking out 50 homes. The fire was less than a quarter mile from the home we now live in. Last year another fire started on Highway 395 and caused another evacuation warning before two air tankers were diverted from the Bay area and knocked that bad boy down. Winds were in excess of 40 mph, it could have been very bad. So we look for smoke.

The closest bank is in Bishop, 15 miles to the North. I keep a few more valuable cards there in a SDP, along with my will, passport, and gold fillings. A home safe just would not provide fire protection, so I spread the risk round a bit.

My thinking is I bought the cards to enjoy, so I do. I am not a fan of insurance, having been on the short end of policy 'exclusions' once too often. I gave up a little to get a lot by moving away from population centers and jobs, so I drive an 18 year old fishing vehicle and a trade- off of fire risk with little career opportunity. But being a semi-old fart, what do I need a boss for.
...whatever I want
Old 08-20-2013, 09:18 PM
Bruce C@rter

Keith, 2 things. Don't leave your Will in a SDB. If you pass no one can get it out! Then it will be useless.
The other thing is you can get a safe that will protect from fire. They are data safes. Not cheap but they will not let anything get over 100 deg. inside.

Last edited by Texxxx; 08-20-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:11 AM
Bill Gregory

The data safes, which i have looked into, are ridiculously expensive at a size that would be at all useful to a collector.

This is one I just found that is intriguing.

http://www.totalsecuritystore.com/pr...FRPl7AodOmEAxQ

It's only got 1.7 cubic feet of storage, but comparatively, that's not bad for the $1,272 asking price. One hour fire protection keeping the inside temp to 125, protects against "sprinklers, water and humidity", and it's 440 lbs, so nobody could pick it up, and make off with it.

Last edited by the 'stache; 08-21-2013 at 02:13 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:11 AM
Bill Gregory

That media safe could store 324 SGC graded cards, 420 PSA graded cards, or 264 Beckett graded cards in A Box Factory's Graded Card Storage Trays.

http://aboxfactory.com/index.php/col...rage-tray.html

Unfortunately, the interior is not quite wide enough for the wood or chipboard boxes that are 4 rows wide.

The interior of the safe measures 25" high x 12 3/4" wide x 9 1/4" D

The graded card storage trays measure 5 11/16" high x 4" wide x 8 15/16" D

So, you could do 4 rows of 3 trays each.

Pretty nice.

Last edited by the 'stache; 08-21-2013 at 02:12 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:20 AM
Paul Lehr

Most of your higher-end gun safes (also used for cards) will have a one hour plus burn rating.