NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-03-2017, 11:18 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Zone51 redux

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:38 AM
Kyle May

My transaction with Stephen went very smoothly. Got my card, and am very content. Thanks bud!

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 06-03-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Or it's an indication of how people will stare at a train wreck.
Well said, Peter. There are fire truck chasers, tornado chasers, and other kinds of chasers that I better not mention.

Now we have perhaps the far majority of the Net54 constituency chasing this thread of a train wreck, at one time or another.

In some respects, it seems like an imaginary giant hamster wheel. Whatever. The constituency are sure running with this one.

Not stepping on anyones' toes, as I am only a bemused, or is it bewildered observer.

Yup, Peter. Our fellow collectors love to gawk at train wrecks.

I do sincerely hope he pulls it off, and not wind up as the good train wreck in the fine old movie, "MAN'S FAVORITE SPORT".

In fact, I truly hope he tenaciously keeps trading up and winds with a better '52 Topps Mick than even he, or anyone else for that matter, thought he would.

Keep at it, buddy, I'm pulling for you!

---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 06-06-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:03 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I've said it before. So have others. If you want to do a trade up, trade a card for a card. Then trade for another card. This whole idea that I trade you a card for a handful of cards that I then try to pump for the next week to get money ... just dumb...... makes it 1000 times more complicated.

But maybe I'm just a stodgy octogenarian who doesn't appreciate the genius of millennials and all their wacky fun. Like grapefruit flavored beers and kale shakes.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 06-04-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I've said it before. So have others. If you want to do a trade up, trade a card for a card. Then trade for another card. This whole idea that I trade you a card for a handful of cards that I then try to pump for the next week to get money ... just dumb...... makes it 1000 times more complicated.

But maybe I'm just a stodgy octogenarian who doesn't appreciate the genius of millennials and all their wacky fun. Like grapefruit flavored beers and kale shakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2017, 06:59 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjc1983 View Post

Gotta eat healthy!
Old 06-05-2017, 08:43 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyFarino View Post
...its better than reading about T206's all day
+1

I like them but the millionth thread on T206 backs...ugh. Watching someone try to shark their way to the top is entertaining.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-05-2017, 12:57 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
My transaction with Stephen went very smoothly. Got my card, and am very content. Thanks bud!
In fairness, it better should go smoothly. It's in Stephen's best interest to be accommodating.

This thread will go even further south if it ever got into a buyer vs. seller war of words.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
+1

I like them but the millionth thread on T206 backs...ugh. Watching someone try to shark their way to the top is entertaining.
lol...well said
Old 06-05-2017, 07:02 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Wow I'm surprised these are still available. Let's go men! Add them
To your collection!

Here is what is left. I just lowered prices to move these today!

T206 Guiheen Piedmont 350 $38DLVD
T206 Killian Sweet Caporal $15 DLVD
T206 O'Leary Piedmont 350 $15 DLVD

[/QUOTE]
Old 06-06-2017, 09:10 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

I'll have to agree with some other guys that $15 cards, or even $50 cards for that matter, regardless of how many, ain't gonna get you there. You're going to bleed out on shipping costs alone. I'd think that you need to be dealing in high three, if not four figure cards to make any progress. It may take longer to move them, but I'd think you'd need to be focusing on margin and not volume. Otherwise, for every step forward you take, the Mantle gets 2 steps farther away. I'm hoping you can plug the whole in the hull, but right now you're taking on water. Good luck!
Old 06-06-2017, 09:23 AM
Mark Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
I'll have to agree with some other guys that $15 cards, or even $50 cards for that matter, regardless of how many, ain't gonna get you there. You're going to bleed out on shipping costs alone. I'd think that you need to be dealing in high three, if not four figure cards to make any progress. It may take longer to move them, but I'd think you'd need to be focusing on margin and not volume. Otherwise, for every step forward you take, the Mantle gets 2 steps farther away. I'm hoping you can plug the whole in the hull, but right now you're taking on water. Good luck!
Maybe you're right in the long run, but Stephen started this adventure with the T205 Johnson and an investment of $424.00

With these last 3 T-206s still outstanding his status on the front page is currently a cash balance of $1037.10

So he's + $613 at about 2 months in at this point, so he's still making progress.

Last edited by markf31; 06-06-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:25 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I still think he ends up with an '87 Donruss.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg don2.jpg (29.8 KB, 1047 views)
Old 06-06-2017, 09:33 AM
C@rl P@rk

Though most of the fun of this thread has been successfully sucked out of it by the same few people who continue to inject withering (some might say "tiresome") sarcasm, I did want to make one comment regarding the last few points made. Certainly valid that Stephen is trading for lots of smaller parts at the moment, but I had the notion that he eventually might achieve escape velocity once he has a few grand to play with. A bigger item or two might be got (think the Sports Kings Ruth he had, but on a larger scale) and then traded/sold up for pricier items. Sort of like boiling water. It takes awhile to really get going, but eventually he'll hopefully get really cooking.

Anyway - I think the comparisons to Adrian are unfair and Stephen is by all accounts having fun and enjoying the hobby with vintage material, by and large. I guess we're past the point of "if you don't like the thread, don't click on it and certainly don't keep bumping it." Just my two cents.

Last edited by KingFisk; 06-06-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:47 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I have a different view. I think most in the thread are having fun with it. I know my comments recently are only for fun. I think it's a great thread so far. The scrooges don't need to click on it. It could, in the future, get long in the tooth and if it does it can be moved. And as fair warning if too many people try to derail it, in this thread, their posts might be removed as to not completely take it off course. None have been and hopefully none will need to be. But this is a fair warning so no one gets any crazy ideas.
This isn't National Security or cemented in stone stuff.....it is a ONE-OFF thread. To reiterate, others wouldn't be allowed. There isn't anarchy or martial law declared (yet).
Not sure if it was said already but Stephen got permission before doing this thread too. So it's really all my fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisk View Post
Though most of the fun of this thread has been successfully sucked out of it by the same few people who continue to inject withering (some might say "tiresome") sarcasm, I did want to make one comment regarding the last few points made. .....
Old 06-06-2017, 09:57 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf31 View Post
Maybe you're right in the long run, but Stephen started this adventure with the T205 Johnson and an investment of $424.00

With these last 3 T-206s still outstanding his status on the front page is currently a cash balance of $1037.10

So he's + $613 at about 2 months in at this point, so he's still making progress.
No doubt a 150% return is great. I was an early supporter and would still love to see this succeed, but the goal was to do it by the end of the year, so there's not much of a "long run" left. My point was that, given that time goal, at some point Stephen (Hey Stephen!) will probably need to make a leap to bigger dollar cards. I'd suggest putting the small dollar cards aside for now and continue to accumulate them into a larger group. My guess is that more than one guy might be willing to trade a four figure card for, say, a stack of 50 T206s.

.....and I didn't see the post, but whoever compared Stephen to Adrian is bonkers.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:58 AM
C@rl P@rk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I have a different view. I think most in the thread are having fun with it. I know my comments recently are only for fun. I think it's a great thread so far. The scrooges don't need to click on it. It could, in the future, get long in the tooth and if it does it can be moved. And as fair warning if too many people try to derail it, in this thread, their posts might be removed as to not completely take it off course. None have been and hopefully none will need to be. But this is a fair warning so no one gets any crazy ideas.
This isn't National Security or cemented in stone stuff.....it is a ONE-OFF thread. To reiterate, others wouldn't be allowed. There isn't anarchy or martial law declared (yet).
Not sure if it was said already but Stephen got permission before doing this thread too. So it's really all my fault.
Hi Leon, agreed - there are those having lighthearted fun and those that are not. I try and never get involved in the flame wars that break out on here on occasion, because I am here to learn about vintage cards and occasionally share a pick-up that the board might find cool. Personally this Gen Xer has found this to be an enjoyable thread started by someone is extremely enthusiastic about cards. Clearly he and his project have rubbed some people the wrong way, but I'm just tired of the posts that do nothing other than bash him and the thread. Others' mileage may vary. But was finally compelled to say something. You may not get another "controversial" post from me for another three years.

Last edited by KingFisk; 06-06-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:20 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

T206 Guiheen Piedmont 350

Last edited by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE; 06-09-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:54 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

ON TO PHASE 3!!!

T206 Cobb Portrait (photo also added to first post)

OFFER UP BOYS!

Also still available.....

T206 Guiheen Piedmont 350 $37DLVD

Old 06-09-2017, 01:11 PM
Ben North

That is a beautiful lower grade red Cobb, good luck with your next trade.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:59 PM
Chr$stopher Pett$

Default trade bait

Old 06-10-2017, 08:03 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zact View Post
Very nice.

Hard to value it though.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:28 AM
Chr$stopher Pett$

The other PSA 10 sold in a private sale for $1200 a few weeks ago
Old 06-11-2017, 10:48 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

I have received some cool offers on the Cobb, yet nothing that made complete sense from my standpoint, so keep them coming. Let's find this Beauty a new home.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:56 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Starting to think the whole strategy here might be to be so supremely annoying that someone just caves and gives you the Mantle to end this and get it off the first page. If that's the actual strategy I'd daresay you are executing it pretty brilliantly.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:12 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Starting to think the whole strategy here might be to be so supremely annoying that someone just caves and gives you the Mantle to end this and get it off the first page. If that's the actual strategy I'd daresay you are executing it pretty brilliantly.
You guessed it. What a good F'in guess too. Damn I feel stupid now. Next time can you just PM me so you don't oust my whole strategy to the board?

Also,

You know that you don't have to click on the threads right? I didn't know this either at first. You see, there is this thing we use called a mouse... and if you do this thing called "Scrolling Down", your mouse actually won't click on the thread.

I know.. Tough concept. I too was having difficulties with it, but after a little practice, I learned how not to click on threads. Let me know how it works out for you. Took me a few days. Let's see how long it takes you.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:24 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

PM sent on the Cobb
Old 06-12-2017, 02:29 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Thank you for ALLLLL the offers. I am considering them all tonight, and will make a decision most likely by nights end. If you want to sweeten it up to get a leg up on the competition feel free I LOVE the action though guys. Hope you are having as much fun as I am.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:21 PM
James

Nice looking Red Cobb. Good Luck on the trade up or sale.

https://sportscardalbum.com/u/gemmin...seball#!page=2
Old 06-13-2017, 12:24 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Not sure what all the fuss is all about. Love the concept and keep waiting for you to get some things I collect so I can get in on the fun.

Look folks. This is a hobby. No one is getting hurt. Stephen has been clear about his goals from his very first post. There is enough garbage going on in the "real world" that we don't need to bring that stuff in to what I'm thinking most of us consider our safe haven. Cut the guy some slack and remember the old adage...treat others the way you want to be treated. We're all big boys here and we don't have to like each other...but a little respect goes a long way. Good luck to all in their collecting endeavors whatever they may be...M@tt McC@rthy

I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:15 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Alright so I chose to pass on the offers I had as they simply did not make sense. The cobb and Guiheen are both still available. Let's wheel and deal tonight boys!
Old 06-16-2017, 01:20 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Alright let's forget about the cobb for a second. Here is a flash deal...

T206 Guiheen Piedmont 350 $30 DLVD!

Old 06-19-2017, 11:35 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Anyone feeling frisky today? Guiheen still available for $30 and teh Cobb is ready for a new home!
Old 06-23-2017, 08:53 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

LET'S TRY THIS AGAIN...

OFFER UP BOYS!

Also still available.....

T206 Guiheen Piedmont 350 $37DLVD

Old 06-23-2017, 09:47 AM
Dan Bl@u

Stephen - just some friendly advice, take it for what it's worth. If you really want to reach this goal (and you obviously do a lot of other selling apart from this thread), you should really invest in a scanner with a CCD element, so that your slabbed cards aren't so blurry. It really makes a world of difference, and will help your sales/trades. They're not terribly expensive - you can get a Epson V550 for about $160. Just a thought. I think people will be very hesitant to trade for $1000+ cards when they can't see a good scan.

Last edited by Bliggity; 06-23-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:04 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliggity View Post
Stephen - just some friendly advice, take it for what it's worth. If you really want to reach this goal (and you obviously do a lot of other selling apart from this thread), you should really invest in a scanner with a CCD element, so that your slabbed cards aren't so blurry. It really makes a world of difference, and will help your sales/trades. They're not terribly expensive - you can get a Epson V550 for about $160. Just a thought. I think people will be very hesitant to trade for $1000+ cards when they can't see a good scan.
I will look into one right now. Thanks for the advice!

Ps I have a epson perfection V19. Does this have the capability and I am just not using it right?

Last edited by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE; 06-23-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:10 AM
Dan Bl@u

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE View Post
I will look into one right now. Thanks for the advice!

Ps I have a epson perfection V19. Does this have the capability and I am just not using it right?
No - the V19 has a CIS element, not CCD. The basic difference is that the CIS will focus on what's directly against the glass, so if something is slabbed, the card will be out of focus. The CCD will scan the field deeper until it hits something, so slabbed cards still appear sharp.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:14 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

I had no idea. I looked and they have one on ebay for 90 plus 3 s/h best offer.

Let me shoot him a offer.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:17 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Done! $120
Old 06-23-2017, 01:00 PM
Chris

Quote:
I had no idea. I looked and they have one on ebay for 90 plus 3 s/h best offer.

Let me shoot him a offer.
Wait, you offered them more than they were asking?
Old 06-23-2017, 01:17 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
Wait, you offered them more than they were asking?
Haha no... I realized it was refurbished, and for an extra $5 epson was selling it on ebay themselves.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:20 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Does this have the capability and I am just not using it right?
C'mon Stephen, I support you, but really? You could Google this and find the difference when buying a printer. Is Net54 now Technical Support for you?
Old 06-23-2017, 01:21 PM
Peter Spaeth

I think you should set a goal of trading up the printer you just bought for a new MacBook Air.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:33 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
C'mon Stephen, I support you, but really? You could Google this and find the difference when buying a printer. Is Net54 now Technical Support for you?
I literally had no idea what CCD was man. I thought maybe they all had it and I wasn't using it right. I am new to scanning, as I used to use the cell phone instead. He brought it up which is why I asked. Also, it wasn't a printer, it was just a scanner. I already have one so wasn't really familiar with what he was telling me is all.

Last edited by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE; 06-23-2017 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:04 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

His 1952 Mantle.....in mint unused condition- Retail $39.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I think you should set a goal of trading up the printer you just bought for a new MacBook Air.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg printer.jpg (13.4 KB, 749 views)
Old 06-26-2017, 08:45 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

No printer will salvage Guiheen.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:51 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

So surprised my trade up has stalled on such a beautiful and in demand card. What the heck!!! Let's go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-04-2017, 06:34 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Shall we try this again!!!!?????
Old 07-04-2017, 01:40 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Ty cobb has found a new home!

New information coming!
Old 07-05-2017, 08:31 AM
Jeff

You might get to your Mantle in the next day or two with all the cool stuff you're putting up for sale!

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!