NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-19-2011, 10:06 AM
David Ros.enberg

Last edited by DJR; 07-31-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:09 AM
P.hil €lli$

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR View Post
''At no time did I state I broke out the card, because I did not. It was submitted as received.''

That doesn't mean that SGC didn't break it out when examining it. My question should be restated then:

Is it still in it's original GAI holder?
Old 02-19-2011, 10:09 AM
Frank Wakefield

That doesn't mean it is still in the holder. That just says it was submitted in the holder.

Edited to add that what Phil just said I was saying at the same time...

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 02-19-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:25 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Stating No Returns, As Is or All Sales Final, means nothing any longer under the new ebay and paypal rules. Just read the policy on seller requirements relating to a SNAD. If upon receipt the buyer simply does not agree with the grade assigned by the 3rd party grader, (despite the grading co's guaranty on the grade) they can file a SNAD claim and will prevail every time. The seller can merely delay the inevitable.

And as Peter pointed out it does appear that this seller has a single buyer with 6 feedback who really really loves the cards he sells. Must be great to have a customer like that in this economy!

Greg
Old 02-19-2011, 01:09 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
Stating No Returns, As Is or All Sales Final, means nothing any longer under the new ebay and paypal rules.
Not only that, but having a 7 day return policy means nothing now too even though ebay forces me to click on that box when I'm listing auctions. I had a guy turn me in to ebay for an item he'd had in his possession for more than 20 days before filing a claim. Ebay sided with him.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Todd Schultz

Bill and Leon (and others), thanks again. My main purpose was to point you all to this guy as someone you need to view carefully, and I recognized that others might disagree with me on my particular situation. Thanks to Peter for unearthing the apparent shilling as well, and to Ed for pointing out a second chance offer received from this guy just hours after an auction. I believe there are several things about this seller that do not pass the smell test.

Quote:
If you really believe the card to be trimmed, shouldn't you go after the grading company and not the seller? Even if the seller was the one that submitted the card (which I don't believe is the case), he paid for a professional opinion and the mistake was made the GAI, not the seller.
I'm not saying I could not go after the grading company. Nor am I saying the seller could not go against the grading company, or whoever he bought the card from, depending on the facts. More power to him if he was wronged by someone else.

Quote:
Let's say you're buying a house and pay for an professional inspection. The inspection comes back okay, but a month later you find the house is infested with termites. Do you go after the seller of the house for compensation or the inspector who missed the problem?
Both. This happens frequently in the context you mention. Sellers often fail to disclose known problems which ultimately are shown to have existed for some time and with their knowledge. Buyer may go after the inspector for failing to spot the problem, but surely is not limited to that party as a defendant.

There is also an argument for the implied warranty of merchantability (or habitability with the case of a house), whereby goods must reasonably conform to an ordinary buyer's expectations, sometimes measured by standards for such goods "as pass ordinarily in the trade". In the case of cards, I submit that the standards require that any graded card with a numeric grade must be authentic and unaltered to "pass ordinarily in the hobby". As a rule, people do not buy numerically graded cards with the expectation that they have been altered.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:43 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
I seek a refund because I received a damaged card, one that has been altered
When will all this end???? What if you sent it in to PSA, and they graded it an '8.5'.....the bottom line is you are getting differing opinions from different graders, and there is no consitency. I am still not 100% convinced the card is actually trimmed! The seller listed a GAI 7.5 graded card and delivered a GAI 7.5 graded card. To me, this is an open and shut case...tranasction over!

Quote:
As a rule, people do not buy numerically graded cards with the expectation that they have been altered.
I repeat? WHO SAID THE CARD IS ALTERED?!?! SGC???? GAI SAID THE CARD IS GOOD! Send the card to PSA and then ISA for that matter. Majority wins. Right now, the score is tied 1-1....

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 02-19-2011 at 01:47 PM. Reason: added comments
Old 02-19-2011, 01:54 PM

I agree with bobbyw8469. I sent in a T201 Cobb/Crawford to SGC about 3 years ago to be graded and it came back with evidence of being trimmed. I sent the SAME card back in to SGC about a month later and it came back holdered in Ex. condition. So who do I believe? The first grader at SGC who said it was trimmed or the second grader at SGC who graded it Excellent?
Old 02-19-2011, 02:04 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I repeat? WHO SAID THE CARD IS ALTERED?!?! SGC???? GAI SAID THE CARD IS GOOD! Send the card to PSA and then ISA for that matter. Majority wins. Right now, the score is tied 1-1....
Bobby, that is what I have been saying all along. Perhaps you just worded it a little better than I did and maybe the sports analogy will help him understand (tied 1-1). It is one TPG's word against another. In a court of law, the burden of proof is on the palintiff and he can't PROVE that the card was trimmed - it is one professional's opinion against another. Hell, SGC didn't even have the card in hand and looked at it only through a slab. I also agree that he should send it in to PSA and see what they have to say if he has any chance of winning.