NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-06-2016, 04:08 PM

Default HOF results

Griffey and Piazza were elected. Griffey set a new record with 99% of the votes, breaking the record held by Tom Seaver. As a lifelong Seaver fan, I'm saddened.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:11 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Begs the question...who are the three asses that left Griffey off and why?

Joshua
Old 01-06-2016, 04:48 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wite3 View Post

Joshua
+1 Joshua, totally agree...
Old 01-06-2016, 04:55 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Quote:

Joshua
Probably the same 3 that voted for Mike Sweeney.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:00 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Here is a plausible explanation. They wanted to vote for 11 guys but were limited to 10. If I was in that situation I could see leaving off the guy (Griffey) that was getting in no matter what I did.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:13 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

First of all, the reason the three guys left off Griffey probably was because of someone getting hurt feelings on something as stupid as an interview where there were hurt feelings. Maybe someone didn't like the way Griffey treated him. In other words, someone getting pissed off and telling their other writer buddies. Maybe one of them agreed. Yes, human nature does come into the equation ( even though it shouldn't). Secondly, I look at Griffey from the time he was an 18yr old rookie to the time he retired, he basically had the same physical structure and abilities. Then I look at guys like McGwire, Bonds, and Sosa. Please.....Go back to their early photos and then look at how they ballooned up later in their careers. It's borderline ridiculous, and so obvious as well. Griffey was clean, and had the best swing ever in the game with maybe Ted W. getting a close argument. If he had not had the serious injuries, he would have hit 800 home runs. Just my opinion....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 01-06-2016 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:28 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I think it's a joke that Piazza got in. He was a liability behind the plate. The most important part of a catcher's game is on defense.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:25 PM
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
I think it's a joke that Piazza got in. He was a liability behind the plate. The most important part of a catcher's game is on defense.
A good article that points out that, while Piazza was poor at throwing out runners, he was a plus defender in addition to an all-time great offensive catcher: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...han-a-big-bat/

Obaks: 33/40 (need 1910 Vancouver: Brown, James, and Jensen; 1911 Vancouver: Lewis; 1911 Victoria Million )
1936 WWG: 32/135
1952 Parkhurst: 59/100

Last edited by veloce; 01-06-2016 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:50 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
First of all, the reason the three guys left off Griffey probably was because of someone getting hurt feelings on something as stupid as an interview where there were hurt feelings. Maybe someone didn't like the way Griffey treated him. In other words, someone getting pissed off and telling their other writer buddies. Maybe one of them agreed. Yes, human nature does come into the equation ( even though it shouldn't).
I'll bring up Jeff Kent again. How does a guy with his run producing numbers at second base not get more votes?? Your statements probably say it all.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:16 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
I'll bring up Jeff Kent again. How does a guy with his run producing numbers at second base not get more votes?? Your statements probably say it all.
I think Kent was hurt by the 10 player rule on the ballot. A lot of voters are still putting PED users on the ballot because they don't believe they should be excluded. Therefore, somewhat more "marginal" HOFers are losing significant numbers of votes.

I think Kent will eventually be voted in by the Veterans Committee, and I don't really have a problem with that approach.

Personally, I still don't believe PED users should get into the HOF. Their numbers aren't "real" numbers. People argue that they were competing against other PED users so those stats were legit. However, to me, it's like Lance Armstrong and the Tour de France. You can say that he was competing against other users on the Tour, so you shouldn't strip him of his titles? That doesn't make sense to me. The Hall honors the best players, and you can't really say you deserve to be one of the best if you cheated your way there.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Because in context, he just wasn't a HOF caliber player. Those numbers were in an era of huge numbers.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-06-2016 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:07 AM

Quote:

Joshua
It was 3 guys who just can't stand players wearing their caps backward.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:13 PM
K!ya S@bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
Griffey and Piazza were elected. Griffey set a new record with 99% of the votes, breaking the record held by Tom Seaver. As a lifelong Seaver fan, I'm saddened.
why are you saddened?

I never really understood all the hoopla over %. You're in youre in right?

I think how many years it takes is more important to a players legacy.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:18 PM
$teve O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksabet View Post
why are you saddened?

I never really understood all the hoopla over %. You're in youre in right?

I think how many years it takes is more important to a players legacy.
+1
Old 01-06-2016, 04:20 PM

I'm saddened because it was just nice to be able to say that my favorite player held the all time record for HOF votes. No big deal though.

If I remember correctly, 4 guys didn't vote for Seaver. Two were protesting Pete Rose being left off the ballot. One was sick in the hospital and mismarked his ballot. And one always voted no for first year players just to ensure that no one ever was a unanimous selection. I wonder if there are similar stories for the three no votes for Griffey.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:40 PM

Default HOF Voting

Quote:
I'm saddened because it was just nice to be able to say that my favorite player held the all time record for HOF votes. No big deal though.

If I remember correctly, 4 guys didn't vote for Seaver. Two were protesting Pete Rose being left off the ballot. One was sick in the hospital and mismarked his ballot. And one always voted no for first year players just to ensure that no one ever was a unanimous selection. I wonder if there are similar stories for the three no votes for Griffey.
Paul - never saw your 2nd post until now. It was 5 non-voters and I'm almost certain 3 boycotted the vote. I assumed the other 2 were non-first ballot voters, but as you stated, one might have misparked his ballot. Bottom line is with no Rose ban, Seaver would still stand at the top of the charts!
Old 01-06-2016, 04:31 PM

Default HOF Voting

Quote:
Fyi Paul, the real sad thing is that of the 5 writers that didn't vote for Seaver, 3 of them totally boycotted the HOF voting that year because the HOF banned Pete Rose. Those 3 writers publicly stated they were offended the HOF chose to take the Rose situation completely out of the writers hands, thus choosing to submit empty ballots. In restrospect, only 2 writers left Seaver off the ballot because of not voting for "1st timers". Had there been NO Rose ban, Seaver would still own the highest %. Oh well....

JoeT

Last edited by Vintageclout; 01-06-2016 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
I guess im biased since im from seattle but griffey deserves 100% imo
Old 01-06-2016, 04:50 PM
Jesse

I grew up watching Griffey. I think it should of been 100% for sure
Old 01-06-2016, 05:10 PM

Anybody that doesn't vote for someone just because they "never vote people on first ballot" deserve the honor of voting revoked.

Last edited by timber63401; 01-06-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:57 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Griffey was a great player but he was no Tom Seaver when it comes to HOF players. Of course they weren't apples to apples as on was a pitcher and the other an outfielder so I guess there were other criteria to be evaluated.

Last edited by kmac32; 01-06-2016 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
Griffey was a great player but he was no Tom Seaver when it comes to HOF players. Of course they weren't apples to apples as on was a pitcher and the other an outfielder so I guess there were other criteria to be evaluated.
Ken Griffey Jr is right up there with seaver.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyFarino View Post
I would say not quite. Seaver is a top 10 all time pitcher. Griffey is probably more in the top 25 than top 10 tier.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:57 PM

Default HOF Voting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I would say not quite. Seaver is a top 10 all time pitcher. Griffey is probably more in the top 25 than top 10 tier.
Peter - Seaver is top 7 WAR & JAWS with a "cheater" (Clemens) and two 19th century pitchers (Kid Nichols & Cy Young for half a career) rated above him. Thus, a top 4/5 pitcher of all time which Griffey cannot nearly boast among position players. Not taking anything away from Junior because he is one of my all-time favorites, but on a comparable basis, not as highly ranked as Tom Terrific.

JoeT
Old 01-06-2016, 09:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageclout View Post
Peter - Seaver is top 7 WAR & JAWS with a "cheater" (Clemens) and two 19th century pitchers (Kid Nichols & Cy Young for half a career) rated above him. Thus, a top 4/5 pitcher of all time which Griffey cannot nearly boast among position players. Not taking anything away from Junior because he is one of my all-time favorites, but on a comparable basis, not as highly ranked as Tom Terrific.

JoeT
Exactly. Now if Junior didn't get hurt, who knows, but we can't rate guys on what might have been. It always amuses me to hear people who say Ryan was better than Seaver. Not.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:11 AM
Jesse

I think to many people get into the hof. Let's be honest I mean players who were good not great seem to always squeak in. I think it's overrated the hof now. I say you have 3 ballots to get in and if by then u don't well sorry you don't get in. Plain and simple.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:38 AM
Bill

Default A little serve off topic...

But speaking of Griffey Jr., IMHO it's a real shame that a century player like that had all of his early baseball cards created in a crap time of mass production. If he had played 100+ years ago can you imagine what a T206 high grade Griffey would go for?
Old 01-06-2016, 10:13 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyFarino View Post
Did not say that Griffey didn't belong in the Hall of Fame. What I basically said is that in his era, Seaver was in a league of his own. In the Griffey era, there were quite a few guys that could hit the ball and field so when you look at his peers, he was awesome but some other players had almost as much value. Also keep in mind that many of Griffey's peers were steroid users so it is harder to judge his class of position players. Seaver did not come from the steroid era so talent was easier to judge.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:38 PM
Cory

Anyone have thoughts in Mussina jumping up in the voting to 43%? Think he eventually gets there?

Last edited by AddieJoss; 01-06-2016 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:48 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieJoss View Post
Anyone have thoughts in Mussina jumping up in the voting to 43%? Think he eventually gets there?
Lee Smith started there and his % has not change much and even declined a little. Great player but with the way HOF voters do things, I doubt if he will.