NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-30-2012, 07:26 PM

Default The Show at The Oaks in Philly- a Disaster!

WOW! I had a local couple come to my table and say they didn't even know the show was happening if not for a friend who told them. They said nothing was in the paper or anywhere out on the main roads.

At this point, it looks like shows in the Philly area are DEAD!

2 shows, The Oaks and David Hunt's have both evaporated.

It is a very sad thing, but I wish David would have just stayed at Reading where the show was AWESOME! Affordable booths and tons of customers.

I will miss Philly!

It was very nice to meet Jerry and Howie in person!

Dan Mckee
Old 04-30-2012, 07:42 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I know for a fact that Marco spent more than $7000 was spent in the philly paper in the sports section. I'm not saying it was a good show, but the fact is that Marco made a good effort. He also did digital boards on the main highway.

I know he wants to make it work, but I don't know what he can do...but the idea the show was not advertised is incorrect.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:38 AM

Default Oaks on Saturday

I went to the Oaks show on Saturday and it certainly was not busy. I had the pleasure to meet John (WonkaTicket) and enjoyed discussing some other sets that are outside my usual collection - it was very educational for me and I appreciated his time (Dan - unfortunately I did not have the chance to meet you, you were away from the table when I was there).

In my opinion, the reason people do not go to shows anymore is that they have become museums! Personally, I have no problem spending a reasonable premium on cards at shows over buying on the internet - I can see the card in person, I dont have to spend on shipping, I get to interact with people in the hobby - all benefits that make it worth spending a slight premium to me. I understand the dealers have table fees, transportation, etc. as well.

However, the prices I was quoted on cards were out of this world. I have no problem with a dealer starting a little high and negotiating, but when the starting prices are insane - there is no reason for me to counter with an "insulting" offer.

I inquired about a card that recently sold in the Sterling Auction (Thursday night) and the card at the show and in the auction were both SGC 40 (I know some are not fond of grading and all SGC40s are not the same, but this gives a point of reference).

The price quoted at the show was twice what the card sold for as recently as 2 nights prior (with buyers premium). When I mentioned the auction of the card, the dealer just blew me off. Again, I would have been willing to pay more in person, but the initial price was so high - how do you start a negotiation???

So, in my opinion, vintage card collecting is strong in the PA area; however, shows are dying down because, the show prices are just not realistic. Why drive to a show and pay an entrance fee to have the opportunity to see cards at drastically elevated prices - when I can sit at home and peruse ebay, net54, etc and find a card at a reasonable price?

If the answer is its a great time to meet others in the hobby, well I agree with that, but thats what the shows are becoming - an opportunity to meet others in the hobby and learn, but not to buy items.

Again - that is just my opinion and experience from this weekend's show.

Andy
Old 05-01-2012, 07:52 AM
Banned

I have seen that too, stratospheric prices on cards, don't know if they ever really want to sell any of them. If the card is nice, i expect it to be listed high, a little over high retail. but some dont even put a price on their cards, they want you to ask about it, thats a clue to me that the price must be sky high.

I went to the national in '91 and tried to buy a few 80-81 topps basketball panel commons and semi-stars, (i know, not exactly vintage stuff,)

but anyway, common cards which would normally sell for 50 cents had 7 or 8or 9 dollar price tags and the semi stars which would normally be a dollar or two had 25 or 30 or 40 dollar price tags. WTH?

I picked out about a dozen of them, thinking that the pricing had to be a mistake and those amounts must mean cents, not dollars, he added them all up and said two fifty. I gave him a 5 dollar bill, and then he looked at me and said "that's two hundred and fifty dollars"

I put them down, said no thanks, and moved on.

Last edited by travrosty; 05-01-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:28 AM
Chris Counts

I agree that the vast majority of cards at shows are overpriced and no doubt contribute to the demise of such shows. I've been to shows in San Francisco and Glendale over the past few weeks, and one card dramatically illustrated this point for me. I got outbid on eBay for a trimmed T206 Ed Walsh. It went for about $180, which was nearly double what I wanted to pay — and what I eventually will pay for it if I'm patient. Just a few days after the eBay auction closed, I saw it in San Francisco for $415. Yes, "museum" is a good word for what shows have become ...
Old 05-01-2012, 08:30 AM
Barry Sloate

Sounds like the dealers who price their cards right and genuinely want to do business are being affected by those who charge multiples of retail. It's keeping the consumers away and hurting everyone.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecaibrown View Post
However, the prices I was quoted on cards were out of this world. I have no problem with a dealer starting a little high and negotiating, but when the starting prices are insane - there is no reason for me to counter with an "insulting" offer.
Andy
Exact issue I had on Saturday.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
I know for a fact that Marco spent more than $7000 was spent in the philly paper in the sports section. I'm not saying it was a good show, but the fact is that Marco made a good effort. He also did digital boards on the main highway.

I know he wants to make it work, but I don't know what he can do...but the idea the show was not advertised is incorrect.
That is interesting, Wonka lives 5 minutes from there and travels 422 to and from his office and never saw anything. It is possible that the couple who had to find out by a local card shop, missed the paper advertisement.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:44 AM

These are all fair statements. Especially when you are looking for cards that are fairly common to find.

My expenses were:

$350 for 2 tables
$225 for 2 nights Hotel (my choice for Courtyard)
$75 in gas from Freeland Maryland
$20 splitting Hot Dogs with Wonka
2 1/2 days away from my family.

So I would have had to clear close to $700 to break even

Dan
Old 05-01-2012, 08:50 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post
That is interesting, Wonka lives 5 minutes from there and travels 422 to and from his office and never saw anything. It is possible that the couple who had to find out by a local card shop, missed the paper advertisement.
It is completely possible. Fewer and fewer people read the paper.Sad but true.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
It is completely possible. Fewer and fewer people read the paper.Sad but true.
Yes that is very sad! My dad loves the paper!
Old 05-01-2012, 09:19 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Great meeting you too Andy enjoyed talking with you guys.

I live right in the area I saw nothing anywhere in the way of billboard face time. I dont read local papers too much but my buddy Matt lives by them as a local coach of a high school team and he didn't know the show was going on.

The location is good and bad good becuse it's easy to get to, bad because it's off the path and hard know if things are happening.

I'm sure Marco made an effort but much of the crowd was overflow from the other shows...

I find it amazing that the baby and toddler show next door was packed parking lot full each day and nobody came to see and get autos signed and look at sports stuff, yet the music show and latino chruch thing next door were also jumping...

For me I did ok I sold all I brought with me so I was ok with the show.

Cheers,

John
Old 05-01-2012, 11:36 AM
Bob

Default I have given up on shows

I buy a few high cost vintage cards a year. I find the auctions in April and May provide all I need to pick what I want to buy at market prices. I at least know what a fair price is and do not need to see the same cards at booths at higher prices. So give me a good web site or catalog and I'll save time and travel money. I did go to the national in Baltimore but was dissapointed with the prices. I got a few expensive cards crossed over but that was all. I am seeing that the vast information available on the web makes these dealers who over price real dinosaurs. Like it or not the Internet age makes market pricing easy to find and you cannot hope for some fool to pay twice as much anymore because they see it at a show.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Oaks Show

Considering the low attendance, I had a pretty good show. This is the 3rd Oaks Show that I have set up at; and, all 3 have been good for me in terms
of selling, buying and trading vintage cards.

Here is the scenario......

Friday was very slow. On Saturday I had a couple of "big hitters" that made my day. Especially, the guy that bought my T206 Johnson (Ex condition).
He was interested in this card and after we discussed the price, he said that he would return.....Well, you know how that goes.
However, I was pleasantly surprised when he did return several hours later and we did the deal.

My usual T206 "junk-box" was cleaned out. Sold some T205's. And, a large lot of 1949 BOWMAN Hi# cards. A few 1949 LEAF BB - 1st series cards. And,
two 1910 COUPON Southern Leaguer's. Oh, and 1950's & 1960's Yankees & Phillies (Ford, "Puddin Head" Jones, Roberts, Skowron, "Dooley" Womack. etc.)

Sunday was not too busy, so I caught up on reading a great BB book...."Perfect".

Hey guys....I was ONE-FOR-THREE....that's batting .333 and that's good enough to get you into the HOF.

" That's All Folks ! "

I look forward to Marco's Fall show in Oaks....it's got to get better.

TED Z