NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-11-2005, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Default How To Start A Vintage Card Business

Posted By: T206Collector

Okay, so I do not have a clue, but there are apparently plenty of people making money at it -- how did they get started? But more important, if you wanted to start a vintage baseball card business today, what would you need in terms of start up cost/collection? Could you just operate through ebay or would it be beneficial to start one's own auction site? What would be the biggest obstacles?

Just one of those things I think about whenever I sell a card for more than I paid for it -- hey, if I could do that a thousand times, I'd be up like $500!

Old 10-11-2005, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

If you are selling a few cards here and there, that's a known as a good start. If you wanted to do this as a business down the road, you should slowly increase your sales and see how it works. If, after a while, it turns out you are selling a lot and making a good profit and people are clammering for you to sell their stuff, then is the time to consider starting your own catalog auction or whatever.

Being a knowledgeable, honest and reputable dealer starting now will only serve you well no matter what direction you go. If you are right now selling a few cards for a profit and your customers will testify that you are a honest seller and a good shipper, that's a good start. So, at this point I would be focused on being a good and effecient seller of the few cards you sell once in a while on eBay, rather than planning the catalog cover designs for your future million dollar auctions.

Old 10-11-2005, 03:11 PM
Administrator

...I've already designed a hologram cover that has my head in place of Wagner's on a huge blow up of his T206 card.

But seriously, thanks. That is sound advice.

Old 10-11-2005, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Tell me if I'm incorrect, but you're 14, right? Few people make their livings selling baseball cards. However, there are people who make supplimental cash or otherwise have collections that sell for more than when they bought them. At the least, buying and selling on eBay is real world practice that can be applied in ways to other businesses (time magagment, costs, shipping costs, authenticity, losing money on bad purchases, etc).

I'm not a business recruiter, but I'm confident that a young person who showed he had a profitable small eBay business with high feedback and a solid reputation within the hobby would be attractive to many employers, including auction houses. If it turns out you make enough money you don't need no stinking employer, even better.

Old 10-11-2005, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I would say if you can buy something for less than you can sell it, you're in business. It is very competitive however so while it is not too tough to sell material these days it is hard to replace it at the right price. I would say start small and just keeping doing it as long as you're still making money.

Old 10-11-2005, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Maybe silly like 14, but old and balding like 32.

Old 10-11-2005, 03:42 PM
Administrator

If you're 32, forget about it. Any chance at glory passed you by a long time ago. I've been told Bill Mastro became a dealer at 7, and Rob Lifson at 2.

Old 10-11-2005, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Good one David!

Old 10-11-2005, 04:15 PM
Administrator

On a final note, there are people who make money by consigning items to auction houses and other sellers. They often also sell on eBay and in other ways. Even big auction houes sell items on eBay.

The key is the profit, not a pre-conception of what is a business looks like. Some may not consider consigning stuff to be 'a business.' But if it makes more profit than a brick and mortar card store or printed sales catalog, it's not only a business, it's a better business.

Old 10-11-2005, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay wolt

Anybody can sell the vintage cards that they have, be it on eBay, a website, setting up at a card show or consigning to an auction house. So selling the vintage cards is the easy part. And with the recent higher prices reported on the pre war cards, you can make some money if you bought your stock awhile ago.
The problem is however, replenishing your stock and buying it at a margin to keep making a profit. That is easier said then done...jay

Old 10-11-2005, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Remember the 'Ralph's Rug' commercial? Ralph had a rug store with one rug. He refused to sell the rug because, if he did, he would no longer have a rug store.

Old 10-11-2005, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BlackSoxFan

I certainly have nothing to add to this topic b/c i'm not young and i don't make my living selling items for other people! haha!

Regards,

Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

email me