NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 07-20-2010, 02:43 PM
Alan Zimmerman

Default W580 Checklist

I am working on putting together a checklist of cards from the W580 set.

So far, this is what I have come up with. (60 total cards)

1923 W580 Boxing

Abe Attell HAVE
Joe Bernstein HAVE
Bill Brennan HAVE
Jack Britton HAVE
Johnny Buff HAVE
Sailor Burke HAVE
Georges Carpentier HAVE
Joe Choynski HAVE
Mel Coogan HAVE
Jim Corbett HAVE
Young Corbett HAVE
Leach Cross HAVE
Jack Dempsey HAVE
George Dixon HAVE
Johnny Dundee HAVE
Frank Erne HAVE
Luis Angel Firpo HAVE
Bob Fitzsimmons HAVE
Young Bob Fitzsimmons HAVE
Sailor Freedman HAVE
Joe Gans
Frankie Genaro HAVE
Mike Gibbons HAVE
Tommy Gibbons HAVE
Abe Goldstein
Young Griffo HAVE
Jim Jeffries HAVE
Floyd Johnson HAVE
Jack Johnson HAVE
Stanley Ketchel HAVE
Frank Klaus HAVE
Kid Lavigne
Benny Leonard HAVE
Ted Lewis HAVE
Joe Lynch HAVE
Peter Maher HAVE
Kid McCoy HAVE
Packey McFarland HAVE
Terry McGovern HAVE
Mike McTigue HAVE
Billy Miske HAVE
Frank Moran HAVE
Owen Moran*
Pal Moran HAVE
Battling Nelson HAVE
Philadelphia Jack O’Brien HAVE
Mike O’Dowd HAVE
Billy Papke HAVE
Jack Renault*
Willie Ritchie HAVE
Tommy Ryan*
John L. Sullivan HAVE
Lew Tendler HAVE
Gene Tunney HAVE
Charlie White
Jimmy Wilde
Jess Willard HAVE
Kid Williams HAVE
Harry Wills HAVE
Ad Wolgast HAVE

(Please note that cards marked HAVE are ones currently in my collection. Cards marked ON THE WAY have been purchased, but haven't arrived yet.)

Any help is greatly appreciated. If you have images of any of the (*) cards, and would like to share, that would be great. If you have additions/subtractions that you would like to make, please share.

This list is most certainly a work in progress.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Alan

Last edited by wake.up.the.echoes; 01-13-2011 at 02:18 PM. Reason: saw image of Kid Lavigne on archive; possible addition of Tommy Ryan; to begin indicating which cards I have collected
Old 07-20-2010, 04:51 PM
Murr the Blurr

Default W580

Good post! I've been looking for a nice W580 Jack Renault for years. If anyone out there has one for sale or trade, please shoot me an e-mail: trailonice@yahoo.com
Thanks!
Old 07-20-2010, 07:18 PM
Alan Zimmerman

Thanks, Murr. I guess I am just obsessed with finding out how many cards are in this set. Any guesses on your part? I am certain there are more cards in the set than are listed in the PSA set registry (52), because I own at least one that isn't listed there (Bill Brennan). Then again, there are a couple listed on the registry (Jack Renault comes to mind) that I have neither seen in-person, nor seen an image of on the internet. Granted, I really haven't been looking that long. If you happen across that Renault, let me know. I think I am going to start collecting images from this set, and then add them to my checklist.

Again, anything that anyone wants to add would be greatly appreciated.

Alan

Last edited by wake.up.the.echoes; 07-20-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:18 AM
Alan Zimmerman

Default Bill Brennan

I can OFFICIALLY confirm the existence of Bill Brennan, as I now have one in hand. I'll have to send it in to PSA to have them grade it before they will add it to the registry. (For, as we all know, it doesn't exist until PSA has graded an example. haha.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brennan.jpg (38.9 KB, 157 views)

Last edited by wake.up.the.echoes; 07-23-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:13 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Default Renault

There is a W590 Renault; I'm hoping I didn't confuse the 2 and mark them in both checklists...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-26-2010, 06:49 PM
Alan Zimmerman

Default Renault

Adam,

I was reading through your "America's Great Boxing Cards: 2010-2011" and I didn't see a Renault checklisted in either w580 or w590. In compiling my preliminary checklist, I added Renault to the w580 checklist because of the information provided by PSA in their set registry, although none of the registrants has registered one in their set (myself included). Do you have an image of the w590 Renault? Also, did you submit the original checklist to PSA? I ask because I was wondering how it got added to PSA in the first place, as no one seems to have one. Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

(Just a thought: I don't have access to a population report, so perhaps PSA has graded one, just not for anyone who has registered their set? Just speculating here.)

Alan

Last edited by wake.up.the.echoes; 07-26-2010 at 06:50 PM. Reason: added a thought, subsequent to my original post
Old 07-27-2010, 06:58 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Here is Monsieur Renault. Definitely a W590. I would not be surprised if PSA had W590 and slabbed it a W580.

How PSA gets their checklists is beyond me. I know they purchased my book, they just do't seen to use it.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-27-2010 at 07:12 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:54 AM
Alan Zimmerman

Great image, Adam! Thanks for posting.

Nothing that PSA does surprises me, but at least they made the effort and bought your book.

Your book is a fine resource, by the way (in case anyone reading this forum has not yet made the purchase, you most certainly should).
Old 07-27-2010, 04:53 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I love expanding checklists--that's the fun part of the gig...

Or not...
Old 08-25-2010, 11:37 AM
Alan Zimmerman

Can anyone either confirm or refute the existence of a Tommy Ryan w580 card?

Last edited by wake.up.the.echoes; 08-25-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Alan Zimmerman

As of this moment, I have collected 52 different w580 cards. The goal is to collect 60 different (or however many different the confirmed checklist turns out to contain). Some are hand cut, while others are from the similar "thai" set. I am still not sure we have a firm date of issue on the "thai" set, but we do know that they share the same subjects—at least as far as I can tell. When I get closer to completion—50 cards in hand—I will start posting images of the cards. For now, I will update my initial post, indicating which cards I have collected.

As a side note, since I have been collecting these cards, I have noticed some differences between the "thai" cards and the hand cut strip cards. In addition to what has already been stated elsewhere—that the card stock is different, that the "thai" cards have a glossy surface and that the "thai" cards were issued as single cards (machine cut at the factory, rather than issued as strips)—other more subtle differences between the "issues" exist. For example, as detailed in the scan below, when comparing the two versions of the Stanley Ketchel card, the hand cut card on the right contains what appears to be the number 26 in the margin, while the "thai" card on the left contains no number in the margin. I have seen numbers such as this on other strip/sheet issued cards and presume that this is the case with the Ketchel card. While I do not have the cards of Jack Johnson or Ad Wolgast, I have seen images online of these cards that contain numbers in the margins. It will be interesting to see if either the Johnson or the Wolgast contain numbers in "thai" card form. More on this later, I am sure.

Thanks for reading.

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0001.jpg (71.2 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by wake.up.the.echoes; 01-13-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Here is Dixon:

Or not...
Old 09-02-2010, 05:10 AM
Alan Zimmerman

Dixon Lives!

Fantastic, Adam. Thanks for posting.

Didn't think we were going to find that one. Glad to see we can still keep it on the checklist.

Regards,

Alan

Last edited by wake.up.the.echoes; 09-07-2010 at 09:48 AM.