NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-07-2018, 04:45 PM
Todd Schultz

Default More m101-4/5 minutiae

Felix Mendelsohn changed seven photos from m101-5 to m101-4, so as to correct the captioned subjects. To my knowledge, only one of the m101-5 players has remained unidentified(although I reserve judgment on Strunk)– the player who is supposed to be Ray Fisher. Many checklists do not recognize that there are two different players shown, but on every other card where Mendelsohn changed the photo he corrected an error. Also, while the m101-5 shot partially obscures the subject’s face, so does its replacement, so I doubt Mendelsohn made the change simply looking for a better picture. Here are the two cards, with m101-5 on the left:

I believe that the first photo depicts Russ Ford, who was Fisher’s New York teammate in 1910. That was the only season when both played for New York where the team would have worn dark hats and plain uniforms. Although the below enlargement of the m101-5 card is blurry, it sure looks like me to be Ford, whose black and white photo and t205 card are shown for comparison.

I am willing to listen to alternative explanations, but for now am satisfied with the ID---I know how this has kept so many of you up nights
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:45 AM
Tim Newcomb

Default Convincing!

Todd,
I think you’re right based on those photos. Looks like Russ Ford. Nice work!

Tim
Old 07-08-2018, 11:58 AM
Luke Lyon

When I saw your blown up scan, I thought Russ Ford immediately as well. Nice work!
Old 07-08-2018, 05:23 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Thanks for sharing your research, Todd. Well done.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:37 PM

Definitely looks like Ford to me...nice research. By the way, what is the deal with the Strunk card that you hinted at?

Brian
Old 07-08-2018, 11:09 PM
Todd Schultz

Default Thanks guys

Good to know I'm not alone on this ID. Brian, the Strunk card in question is the m101-5, shown here on the left and next to the m101-4 corrected photo. Many believe it to depict Olaf Henriksen, but I am not yet fully convinced. I have no alternatives, but something just looks a skosh off to me.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:22 PM

Todd,
Who are the seven players with changed photos?
Thanks,
Andy
Old 07-10-2018, 03:31 PM
Todd Schultz

Andy,

The seven corrected photos depict:

1) Ray Fisher (m101-5 shows Ford)
2) Ed Murphy (m101-5 shows Danny Murphy)
3) Roger Peckinpaugh (m101-5 shows Gavvy Cravath)
4) Bob Shawkey (m101-5 shows Stuffy McInnis)
5) Amos Strunk (m101-5 shows Henriksen?)
6) Oscar Stanage (m101-5 shows Boss Schmidt) and
7) Clarence Walker (m101-5 shows Ernie Walker)
Old 07-11-2018, 01:25 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Not sure if this adds, is found now to be incorrect, or helps validate anything, but I was going through some early Trader Speaks for sale and saw this article. I am hungry and going to lunch but thought I would post it on my way out of the door. Good stuff, Todd et al..This is from The Trader Speaks May 1972...and a letter I had no idea i had until a few minutes ago ....stuck in the copy.

Last edited by Leon; 07-11-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:31 PM
Todd Schultz

Default very nice

Wow, thanks Leon. There’s a lot to unpack there, but I do see where Buck Barker notes the seven photo changes, even though he incorrectly states they represent different photos of the same player.

He should not feel bad about not wandering into the F&B store as a four year-old in the Fall of 1915, as the cards would not have been there at that time anyway. I feel a bit sad he regrets that his parents found him–must have been a tough childhood

Curiously, Barker reports that as of 1971, the M101-4 and M101-5 cards had no set identification and were blank-backed. He states that these were not checklisted until Orem did so in the 1950s. He does quote an ad from TSN in October 1916, but stumbles in his logic, for he says this stood as “proof” that m101-5 was issued in 1916– the numbers of the players available in the ad match up with the same numbers from m101-5--yet elsewhere he claims that m101-5 was issued in 1915 and m101-4 the following year. In any event, I still find it odd that the two Mendelsohn-issued cards with advertising that are now most commonly found–Sporting New and Famous & Barr, were either unknown or just discovered as of 1971, while some of the others had been known for more than a decade (three decades in the case of Standard Biscuit).

Barker says it’s a “funny thing” that Sporting News ignored the Federal League but used photos of players in their Fed uniforms, many of whom he identifies. What I find “funny” (in the peculiar sense) is that if Barker would have been paying attention, he would have noticed that several of these players were captioned with teams they did not join until 1916–after the Fed league folded and the reason why there were no Fed players–and that therefore there was no set from 1915 as he had claimed.

There are a couple more nuggets in this article, and I appreciate your finding and posting it.

Last edited by nolemmings; 07-11-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:00 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Hey Todd
You have done a yeoman's job on the subject. The least I can try to do is help a little since I collect vintage hobby periodicals. letters etc... (as many others do). I believe David K (hey David) has the ACC supplements and maybe one I don't have too. I can check and think I have the ACC supplements for '40, '41, '42 and '44. I also dug up a an official looking Checklists from Card Collectors Bulletin circa 1942. It's a small, brown crumbling manual. I need to look through it some more but at least I found definitively where the Hustler T206 mistake started. I won't divert this thread and leave it for another.
But I will check any of those supplements if need be and also the rest of these checklists in the booklet....I just need some more time to go over it adn some other stuff....
ps...it does seem Barker was winging it a bit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Wow, thanks Leon. There’s a lot to unpack there, but I do see where Buck Barker notes the seven photo changes, even though he incorrectly states they represent different photos of the same player.

He should not feel bad about not wandering into the F&B store as a four year-old in the Fall of 1915, as the cards would not have been there at that time anyway. I feel a bit sad he regrets that his parents found him–must have been a tough childhood

Curiously, Barker reports that as of 1971, the M101-4 and M101-5 cards had no set identification and were blank-backed. He states that these were not checklisted until Orem did so in the 1950s. He does quote an ad from TSN in October 1916, but stumbles in his logic, for he says this stood as “proof” that m101-5 was issued in 1916– the numbers of the players available in the ad match up with the same numbers from m101-5--yet elsewhere he claims that m101-5 was issued in 1915 and m101-4 the following year. In any event, I still find it odd that the two Mendelsohn-issued cards with advertising that are now most commonly found–Sporting New and Famous & Barr, were either unknown or just discovered as of 1971, while some of the others had been known for more than decade (three decades in the case of Standard Biscuit).

Barker says it’s a “funny thing” that Sporting News ignored the Federal League but used photos of players in their Fed uniforms, many of whom he identifies. What I find “funny” (in the peculiar sense) is that if Barker would have been paying attention, he would have noticed that several of these players were captioned with teams they did not join until 1916–after the Fed league folded and the reason why there were no Fed players–and that therefore there was no set from 1915 as he had claimed.

There are a couple more nuggets in this article, and I appreciate your finding and posting it.

Last edited by Leon; 07-11-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:46 AM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
ps...it does seem Barker was winging it a bit?
I probably shouldn't be too harsh on 'Ol Buck, who gave so much to the hobby. Reporting new findings can be exciting, but is oftentimes the product of incomplete information and inaccurate assumptions. At least we know he was passionate in his collecting:
Old 07-23-2018, 07:04 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Up in the air on Olaf too. This little picture (below) is Olaf from Wiki...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Good to know I'm not alone on this ID. Brian, the Strunk card in question is the m101-5, shown here on the left and next to the m101-4 corrected photo. Many believe it to depict Olaf Henriksen, but I am not yet fully convinced. I have no alternatives, but something just looks a skosh off to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg olaf.jpg (17.5 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by Leon; 07-23-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:33 PM

Default Another possibility

The erroneous Strunk looks a lot like Dutch Leonard, Red Sox LHP, to me.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spec View Post
The erroneous Strunk looks a lot like Dutch Leonard, Red Sox LHP, to me.
Here's a couple of Dutch's Wikipedia photos...what do you folks think?

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DutchLeonard.jpg (16.3 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg HubLeonard.jpg (8.7 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by brianp-beme; 07-23-2018 at 09:47 PM. Reason: added another photo
Old 07-23-2018, 09:42 PM
K3v1n Stru55

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Here's Dutch's Wikipedia photo...what do you folks think?
Yes, looks like Leonard to me.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:35 PM

Another photo of the Dutch man.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LeonardDutch.jpg (42.1 KB, 76 views)