NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-15-2004, 06:00 AM
Administrator

Default Honus Wagner Rookie?

Posted By: Richard

Greetings, I am very interested to get some opinions on the true rookie card of the great Pittsburg shortstop Honus Wagner. I would love to get some input from my fellow pre-war collectors. I look forward to some opinions on this question.
Thank You

Old 04-15-2004, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

I should probably defer to the experts on the board but I was under the impression his "rookie" card would be considered the 1897/99 Henry Reccius Cigar card...

Old 04-15-2004, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian (Shammus)

Hi Richard,

A lot of people mistake his rookie for the t206 funny enough! But many consider the cutout of Wagner from Reccius Cigar boxes to be his rookie. Not sure how many there are of this item in existence...I hear only one or two. Others don't really count the Reccius as his rookie as I believe it is a cutout so his "rookie" would then be the e107. Hope this helps....

Old 04-15-2004, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian (Shammus)

Hi Richard,

A lot of people mistake his rookie for the t206 funny enough! But many consider the cutout of Wagner from Reccius Cigar boxes to be his rookie. Not sure how many there are of this item in existence...I hear only one or two. Others don't really count the Reccius as his rookie as it is being cut out of something like a strip card so his "rookie" would then be the e107. Hope this helps....

Old 04-15-2004, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Halleygator

In my opinion, his rookie card is the E107 Bresich-Williams card from 1903, since it was widely distributed.

The Louisville card is a minor league card and apparently was not distributed in bulk.

Then again ... for these same reasons ... I would rather own the ONLY known example of the Louisville card than one of his from the E107 set!

Old 04-15-2004, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

Since Hans hadn't hit the major leagues when the Reccius Cigar box came out I don't see how it can it be his rookie. Definitely his first card but not a true rookie card in my book.

Honus Wagner rookie - E107

Old 04-17-2004, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Louisville was a major league team when Wagner played with them. I believe they merged with Pittsburgh in 1900. So, I don't think you can discount the Reccius card just because it shows Wagner with Louisville. Wagner's rookie card should show him with Louisville, since that was his first major league team.

I had never before heard that the Reccius card was cut out of a cigar label. If that's the case, I have to agree that the E107 is his first true card and therefore his rookie card, or the closest thing to his rookie card.

Old 04-17-2004, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

Paul,

Thank you, I stand corrected. I thought Louisville was part of the National Association which were teams that weren't considered to be part of the Major Leagues. This is why I stick to 20th century stuff.

Still, if it is just a portion of a cigar label then I still don't consider it a legitimate card.