NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Tom Re.bert

Default This ones for the Gipper & Teddy

One for the Gipper & 1907 original Teddy panorama view circuit photo.

Last edited by Directly; 01-27-2024 at 06:18 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:11 PM
Kenny

S. L Clemens aka Mark Twain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hamilton harry house clemens.jpg (76.6 KB, 299 views)
Old 03-24-2013, 04:47 PM
Hank Thomas

Early MM:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG.jpg (62.7 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0002.jpg (68.1 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0005.jpg (67.2 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0004.jpg (72.0 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0001.jpg (70.8 KB, 287 views)
Old 03-24-2013, 05:13 PM
Scott

I'm glad the thread has been revived ..Keep em coming. I may have something to post tomm night on here. for now, tho its English, I'll put up my 75 tour banner that flew in the boston Garden
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsb.jpg (75.5 KB, 283 views)
Old 03-24-2013, 07:56 PM

Default Congrats on Teddy and Samuel, et Poker Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Directly View Post
One for the Gipper & 1907 original Teddy panorama view circuit photo.
Directly, That is some pano of Teddy Roosevelt...that's real? Not a repro? Never seen anything like it. Is that a family protrait? What are the dimensions? Congrats hecka nice piece!

kdixon, Darn that's great! Where the heck did you get it? I was at a book show about a month or so ago in S..F. and a dealer had a photo of Samuel Clemens shooting pool....I think it was like $35-$40,000.00 he had on it...

photo CoolidgeDogsPlayingPoker42X30_zpsf6acb1db.jpg
42" x 30"

photo Back-5_zps75c49272.jpg

photo waterloo_zps276f64fa.jpg

Above is a very rare jumbo sized 42" x 30" Poker Dog print on canvas by C.M. Coolidge I picked up over this last winter. I was buying a killer hockey plaque from a mall in Canada and saw it on their website...There are about like 30 different scenes Coolidge did of these poker dogs but I can not find this exact one...It's a very close variation of one called "Waterloo"...but mine has the poodle dog waitress and the lampshade is different and a few other nuances....I had to give money for it even though it needs a little restoration and cleaning....I hated to pay what they had on it but in 25 years of collecting I've never seen a large one on canvas like this so bit the bullet.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:26 PM
Mikeknapp

These are two of my favorite non-sports photos. The first is an iconic photo of Pancho Villa taken in 1914. I cannot imagine that there many other originals of this photograph out there. The second was taken in 1936 and features the Cotton Club chorus line, Bojangles, and Jesse Owens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Owens_1936.jpg (81.0 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg Villa 1914.jpg (85.6 KB, 245 views)
Old 03-25-2013, 02:44 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default Not exactly Americana but defintely non-sports...

My wife and I will celebrate our 13th wedding anniversary in July. Almost 13 years ago, an old friend from my days in D.C. came to see me before the wedding and handed me an envelope containing the letter below. When you think that he's amongst the most loved/hated figures in Irish history and for a time slept in a different location every night, I think it's a pretty neat piece. And for anyone who thinks he's just a terrorist, it would be much appreciated if we could avoid going down that path. Thanks...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.JPG (28.9 KB, 236 views)
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:38 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Default Old Harley original pics

I like to pick up original photos of old Harleys...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oldharley2.jpg (78.9 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg oldharley.jpg (52.7 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg hdmamas.jpg (69.6 KB, 230 views)

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 03-25-2013, 06:34 PM

Recently added an amazing grouping to my diary collection. It is from a U.S. soldier who was wounded at Bataan at the start of WWII and then was captured and held prisoner by the Japanese until liberted in 1945. He managed to survive dispite being starved, having many diseases, and having his leg amputated while imprisoned. The diaries have over 250,000 words of content. They cover escapes, shooting of prisoners, deaths, war rumors, hell ships, rats climbing on them, cooking up dogs and cats, air raids as the Americans closed in, and finally liberation. The interesting thing is that POW's were not supposed to keep diaries. This guy wrote on what he had available which often was the back of cigarette packages (opened up and flattened out). I found an incredible photo of him online which shows the creative way that he hid his diaries (see below).

Rob M.

Photo at liberation.jpg

Item 4.jpg
Old 03-25-2013, 07:34 PM
Scott

FASCINATING STUFF..those diaries
Old 03-26-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
My wife and I will celebrate our 13th wedding anniversary in July. Almost 13 years ago, an old friend from my days in D.C. came to see me before the wedding and handed me an envelope containing the letter below. When you think that he's amongst the most loved/hated figures in Irish history and for a time slept in a different location every night, I think it's a pretty neat piece. And for anyone who thinks he's just a terrorist, it would be much appreciated if we could avoid going down that path. Thanks...
Gerry Adams right? Tough to tell as the pic doesn't expand much.

You asked that we not pass judgment on his past, so I won't, even though his 'work' had a personal impact on me.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:54 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by martindl View Post
Gerry Adams right? Tough to tell as the pic doesn't expand much.

You asked that we not pass judgment on his past, so I won't, even though his 'work' had a personal impact on me.
You are correct...I know that he is both worshiped and reviled over there and his impact has been felt by many...though the same could be said for actions taken by those on the other side. I fear the personal impact on you was likely negative and I can only express my regrets for what you likely experienced. For such a beautiful country, it has dealt with many horrible events over the decades and I'm happy that things seem to be in much better order than they were even 15 years ago when I lived over there...
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:00 PM
Richard Simon

I don't remember if I posted these when this thread started. In case I did not here they are.
1-The first one is from a JFK Assassination symposium, which I attended, in 1992 in Dallas.
It contains many of the witnesses to the assassination of JFK and it also contains the signature of Marina Oswald.
2-Jack Ruby check.
3-One of a kind RFK signed photo.
4-Thomas Jefferson/James Madison signed land grant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg witnesses.jpg (67.9 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg ThomasJefferson.jpg (78.7 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg ruby.jpg (26.0 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg rfk.jpg (31.3 KB, 229 views)
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 03-26-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
You are correct...I know that he is both worshiped and reviled over there and his impact has been felt by many...though the same could be said for actions taken by those on the other side. I fear the personal impact on you was likely negative and I can only express my regrets for what you likely experienced. For such a beautiful country, it has dealt with many horrible events over the decades and I'm happy that things seem to be in much better order than they were even 15 years ago when I lived over there...
I'm over here, though was in the UK until I moved here at 22 in 1981. The Birmingham and Coventry bombings in the early 70's caused great hurt. My lifetime goal is to hold no animosity, though it's hard, really hard.

I've no dog in the fight, I get both sides. I grew up and lived in Coventry and spent most of my youth in the Irish quarter, so to speak. I had staunch provo friends and staunch loyalists friends both, and as much as they all tried to make it a big deal, the troubles never made much sense to me personally. I always respected both points of view because if you'd never been in those peoples' shoes, how can you judge?

It's deeper than that really; I lost people that I loved, though the anger left me years ago. As you say, thank God things are so much better now.