NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-21-2019, 04:31 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Interesting NO-PRINT group of T206 Carolina Brights - EPDG - Old Mill - Polar Bear

Circa Summer 1910 while printing the 350-only series of cards, American Lithographic (ALC) designed the backs of the AMERICAN BEAUTY, BROAD LEAF, CYCLE, and DRUM
having identical stylized FRAME and lettering. ALC printed these backs on 190 subjects in this series. Refer to thread for more info regarding this "A-B-C-D connection"...…
T206 DRUM's....and their "A-B-C-D connection"

Research has revealed that 22 % of the 190 subjects were not printed with certain T206 backs, namely CAROLINA BRIGHTS, EL PRINCIPE DE GALES, OLD MILL, POLAR BEAR.
Perhaps this evidence provides us a clue to the make-up of a sheet of T206's printed in early 1910.

350-only series subjects which are CAROLINA BRIGHTS - EPDG - OLD MILL - POLAR BEAR no-prints (42 subjects)

Arndt
Becker *
Butler
Byrne *
Cassidy
Charles *
Cross
Donovan (throwing) *
Doolan (fielding) *
Downs
Fletcher *
Hall
Hoffman (St Louis AL) *
Howell (portrait) *
Huggins (portrait) *
Huggins (hands at mouth) *
Hunter *
Killian (portrait) *
Knabe *
Lennox *

Malarkey
Marquard (portrait) *
Marshall *
McBride *
McElveen *
McGinley
McIntyre (Detroit) *
Mitchell (Cincinnati) *
Mitchell (Toronto)
Moran (Providence)
Mowery *
Myers (bat) *
O'Hara (New York Nat'l) **
Paskert *
Phelan
Poland
Rhoades (hands at chest) *
Rossman * …. **
Schmidt (portrait) *
Starr *

Street (portrait) *
Summers *

* denotes.....these subjects are represented in the 1910 COUPON set.

** denotes….O'Hara and Rossman were not printed with the A-B-C-D connection.

This research is a work in progress; therefore, any additional information is really appreciated.

TED Z

T206 Reference

Last edited by tedzan; 01-22-2019 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Added information.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:20 PM

Ted, do those four backs work as a group, meaning that players are generally known with all four or none? I've wondered about Hunky Shaw. He's known with Polar Bear and EPDG (I'd love to actually see this card), but not OM or CB.

Except for Shaw, the Providence players in the 350 series fit into two groups. I've wondered why Shaw seems to fit into neither.

With CB/OM/PB/EPDG: Anderson, Blackburne, Hoffman, Lavender
Without: Arndt, Moran, Phelan

Successful sales transactions with jamorton215, gorditadogg, myerburg311, TAFKADixie, jimq16415, Thromdog, CardPadre
Old 01-21-2019, 09:00 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Interesting NO-PRINT group of T206 Carolina Brights - EPDG - Old Mill - Polar Bear

Hi Rich

All other subjects in the 350-only series are found with any one (or 2, or 3) or all 4 of these backs (CAROLINA BRIGHTS, EL PRINCIPE DE GALES, OLD MILL, POLAR BEAR).
Whereas, these 42 specific subjects were not printed with any of these regular 350 series backs. This is very unusual. And, what this implies to me is that this group of 43
subjects were printed on the same sheet, and quite early in the game (circa Spring 1910).

TED Z

T206 Reference

Last edited by tedzan; 01-22-2019 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Corrected typo.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:25 AM
P@trick R.omolo

It can get confusing trying to figure out a pattern with the no print groups
because they did switch subjects around during the printing.
For example there are several two name cards that only have one
of the 42 subjects you have listed.

Here are a couple of them

Ganzel/Downs
2 name Ganzel Downs.jpg

McGinley/Speaker
2 name Mcginley Speaker.jpg

Last edited by Pat R; 01-22-2019 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:38 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
It can get confusing trying to figure out a pattern with the no print groups
because they did switch subjects around during the printing.
For example there are several two name cards that only have one
of the 42 subjects you have listed.

Here are a couple of them

Ganzel/Downs
Attachment 341765

McGinley/Speaker
Attachment 341766

Pat

I completely understand that ALC switched subjects around on their printing plates in their subsequent press runs.

Anyhow, when you are presented with an example such as this one where 4 of the very popular Assorted Subjects
backs appear as an omitted group, I think that tells us something.

In my engineering mentality, it suggests that all 42 of these subjects were grouped together in the same print run.

There are 5 two-name cards that confirm my 1910 COUPON sheet format, 3 of which confirm this 42-card format....

Killian/Dubuc

Matty McIntyre/Hoffman (St Louis)

Rossman/McBride

Rossman/Thomas

Starr/Schmidt (portrait)

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 01-22-2019, 09:16 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Ted, I'm not disagreeing with you with you I'm just saying it's hard to find a conclusive sheet pattern because
there were so many subjects switched around. One of the things I pointed out about
the coupons is the lack of minor league subjects there are several two name cards of
a major league subject with a minor league subject so the coupon sheets must have been completely reassembled.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:31 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Pat

Again, I agree with what you are saying regarding the switching of subjects from press run to subsequent press runs.

Regarding the lack of Minor League subjects in the 48-subject Major League (ML) composition of the 1910 COUPON set,
my thinking is that ALC introduced the 86 - Minor Leaguers later in the process of printing the 350-only series cards. I
have always contended that the 48 ML in the 1910 COUPON set were from a very early (if not the very first) print run
of the 350-only subjects in 1910 (or perhaps as early as the Winter of 1909).

Then ALC started filling in their sheets with Minor League subjects mixed in with ML subjects later in the 350-only game.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 01-22-2019, 12:47 PM

Default This

is incredible stuff....we are always either learning something new about the set, or disproving something....truly enigmatic!

Ted....very interesting theory....I want to see how this plays out....

Pat....you are a super sleuth

the both of you debating are some of my favorites to watch.....you both are genius and are keep the theories coming

you two are some of the best researchers we currently have on the set!!(amongst some other all stars)
Old 01-22-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Hi Rich

All other subjects in the 350-only series are found with any one (or 2, or 3) or all 4 of these backs (CAROLINA BRIGHTS, EL PRINCIPE DE GALES, OLD MILL, POLAR BEAR).
Whereas, these 42 specific subjects were not printed with any of these regular 350 series backs. This is very unusual. And, what this implies to me is that this group of 43
subjects were printed on the same sheet, and quite early in the game (circa Spring 1910).

TED Z

T206 Reference
Thanks, Ted. I guess Hunky stands by himself. I was trying to fit him in to the same pattern as the other players.

Successful sales transactions with jamorton215, gorditadogg, myerburg311, TAFKADixie, jimq16415, Thromdog, CardPadre
Old 01-22-2019, 07:49 PM
Ted Zanidakis

A Net54 reader asked me if any of the above 42 subjects are found with the TOLSTOI back. Of the 42 subjects,
these 30 were printed with the TOLSTOI back....and, some of them are difficult to find with TOLSTOI......

Byrne
Charles
Cross
Donovan (throwing)
Doolan (fielding)
Downs
Fletcher
Hoffman (St Louis AL)
Howell (portrait)
Huggins (portrait)
Huggins (hands at mouth)
Hunter
Killian (portrait)
Knabe
Lennox
Marquard (portrait)
McBride
McElveen
McIntyre (Detroit)
Mitchell (Cincinnati)

Mitchell (Toronto)
Mowery
Myers (bat)
Paskert
Rhoades (hands at chest)
Rossman
Schmidt (portrait)
Starr
Street (portrait)
Summers

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 01-23-2019, 06:30 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Falvo View Post
Ted, do those four backs work as a group, meaning that players are generally known with all four or none? I've wondered about Hunky Shaw. He's known with Polar Bear and EPDG (I'd love to actually see this card), but not OM or CB.

Except for Shaw, the Providence players in the 350 series fit into two groups. I've wondered why Shaw seems to fit into neither.
With CB/OM/PB/EPDG: Anderson, Blackburne, Hoffman, Lavender
Without: Arndt, Moran, Phelan
Rich, I don't know if it had anything to do with it but it was up in the
air who Shaw would be playing for around the time his T206 was printed.

February 5 1910
Hunky Shaw Feb 5 1910.jpg

March 10 1910
Hunky Shaw March 10 1910.jpg

March 18 1910
Hunky Shaw March 18 1910.jpg
Old 01-23-2019, 06:41 PM

Thanks, Pat. That makes sense. Does that mean that the Polar Bears were likely printed first among those four backs since Shaw did appear with that one?