NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-11-2014, 02:41 PM
John E.

Kicking myself right now...

A few years back I saw a bunch of these in a bin, a buck each or so, at a twice-annual Peddler's Faire in Coarsegold, CA.

Memorial Day is coming up again...so I'll have to head up to it this year and see if they're out there again.

Couldn't tell you who or what was there for sure, but they were definitely these, as I remember that McLain one (or some Sen) and maybe the Vida Blue.

Last edited by JMEnglish27; 04-11-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj7489 View Post

A few years back I saw a bunch of these in a bin, a buck each or so, at a twice-annual Peddler's Faire in Coarsegold, CA.

Memorial Day is coming up again...so I'll have to head up to it this year and see if they're out there again.

Couldn't tell you who or what was there for sure, but they were definitely these, as I remember that McLain one (or some Sen) and maybe the Vida Blue.
Thanks, that would be awesome!
Old 04-11-2014, 09:12 PM
Tom Hansen

Quote:

good luck with the bin! That would be incredible. Please post anything you come across--there is little known about these pins, so the more examples we can share the better
Old 04-12-2014, 10:59 AM

Tom,

Someone wrote to me a while back about the origin of these pins. I did not and still don't know their origin. A good clue is the story of how they were sold by a street vendor outside the ball park. They are definitely unlicensed. Pinbacks will bedevil you with their arcane creations. I don't recall ever seeing a Yankee player in this pin design. That is not all that surprising given the Yankees were a very mediocre team in those years.

I would disagree with you about them having been shot in a studio. It seems extremely unlikely to me that whoever commissioned these pins could convince MLB players to visit a studio (and bring their uniform) to create illegal merchandise. By the 1970s considerable progress had been made in creating "layered" images, i.e., placing a carefully cropped picture of a player on top of a synthetically created background. The bright white spots around some players appear to be artificially created.

Someone who might help with the mystery of these pins would be the photograph (or maybe card) collectors. If those images were not shot in a studio, they came from somewhere. I think the creator of these pins had these photographs, cropped and layered them in a photo studio, and then found a pin making company to produce them.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:11 PM
Tom Hansen

Very much agree that getting the ballplayers into the studio seems unlikely. But the high quality of the photography is what makes me think it was a controlled setting. Funny you mention bringing along their uniforms--if you look closely at the Joe Pepitone pin, he's wearing his home top and his road pants!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pepitone.jpg (71.9 KB, 1160 views)
Old 04-12-2014, 03:23 PM
Tom Hansen

For what it's worth, I've noticed three variations in the "1971" stadium pinbacks: Version one measures 2.25" across and has matte finish. Version two measures 3" across and also has matte finish. Version three measures 3.5" across and has glossy finish.
There is a similar style of pinback that shouldn't be mistaken for this group--they have different cropping, inferior printing, feature a different autograph printed in black, have a high gloss finish and an easel back. They also measure 3.5" across (see below for comparison of Billy Williams and Ron Santo versions)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1971 stadium sizes.jpg (77.5 KB, 1244 views)
File Type: jpg setNONset.jpg (70.2 KB, 1240 views)
File Type: jpg NONsetback.jpg (74.8 KB, 1249 views)
Old 04-12-2014, 03:26 PM
Tom Hansen

For what it's worth, the seven 1971 Cubs stadium pinbacks I have--most are 3" and matte; two are 3.5" and glossy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1971cubspinbax.jpg (70.1 KB, 1240 views)
Old 04-12-2014, 03:28 PM
Tom Hansen

The nine 1971 Redsox stadium pinbacks I have found. All are the 3.5" glossy version
Attached Images
File Type: jpg redsoxstadiumpins.jpg (69.6 KB, 1237 views)
Old 02-01-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thansen30 View Post
For what it's worth, the seven 1971 Cubs stadium pinbacks I have--most are 3" and matte; two are 3.5" and glossy
Here is a 3" Don Kessinger. I have seen the Ernie Banks pin from this set but I don't have any photos of it. I also have the 3.5" versions of Glenn Beckert and Joe Pepitone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment 5.jpg (70.1 KB, 684 views)
File Type: jpg Kessinger pin.jpg (30.1 KB, 682 views)
File Type: jpg Cubs pins 2.jpg (62.8 KB, 686 views)
Old 04-16-2014, 07:03 PM
Rob

Quote:
There is a similar style of pinback that shouldn't be mistaken for this group--they have different cropping, inferior printing, feature a different autograph printed in black, have a high gloss finish and an easel back. They also measure 3.5" across (see below for comparison of Billy Williams and Ron Santo versions)
A very interesting topic. IMHO, oftentimes both the "superior" or "inferior" versions have poor cropping....either too much and unequal background or not enough background.

The Mays comes both with and without facsimile sig.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:30 PM
Tom Hansen

Picked up several Brewers 1971 stadium pinback examples on ebay. All measure 2.25" across with matte finish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newbrewers.jpg (68.1 KB, 1147 views)
Old 04-13-2015, 04:16 PM
Rob

Quote:
For what it's worth, I've noticed three variations in the "1971" stadium pinbacks: Version one measures 2.25" across and has matte finish. Version two measures 3" across and also has matte finish. Version three measures 3.5" across and has glossy finish.
For this ^^^ and the fact we got Scott Garner turned on to his Vida Blue, there have been two Blues on ebay recently (I have a permanent search for a different Blue pinback). I think the first pic is the 3.5" variety.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VB.JPG (33.5 KB, 1028 views)
File Type: jpg _12.JPG (21.9 KB, 1022 views)
Old 04-16-2015, 11:01 AM
Clint

Here's the 2 I picked up on ebay a while back. I missed out on a Frank Robinson and Boog Powell. The seller also had a Tom Seaver.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jpalm.jpg (45.5 KB, 970 views)
File Type: jpg vida.jpg (43.4 KB, 982 views)
Old 04-12-2014, 04:45 PM

Great eye! No wonder Joe is grinning.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:00 PM

In addition to the Senators being represented in this style pinback by Denny McLain, I believe there was also one for Frank Howard. I've unsuccessfully looked for years to find and buy the Howard version.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:29 PM
Tom Hansen

Here is the Clemente stadium pinback, which sold in the Legendary Auctions sale in October 2007 for $385. It's breathtaking. Their description was "Highly Visual 1960s Roberto Clemente Souvenir Pinback."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clemente pinback.jpg (9.5 KB, 1185 views)
File Type: jpg clemente back.jpg (12.4 KB, 1189 views)
Old 11-27-2019, 09:26 PM
Rob

Quote:

Kick yourself a little more. This guy just went for $411 on ebay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l500.jpg (44.3 KB, 459 views)
Old 11-28-2019, 12:39 AM
Mikeknapp

I paid $500 for mine a couple of years ago. I was after this one too but couldn't pull the trigger for a duplicate. For what its worth, I believe this is only the 4th one of these I have ever seen. There is also a version that does not have the autograph. I have only seen one of those.

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)

Last edited by 71buc; 11-28-2019 at 12:39 AM.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:28 AM
Rob

Also, FWIW, I think these can be narrowed done to 1969-72 based on the players included.
Old 11-29-2019, 05:21 AM
Tom Hansen

i passed on that clemente because of the back: it is stamped with something like "pat pending made in USA" and the pin bracket is different than any other i've seen. that makes it the only pin from this "series" with any kind of stamping on it. odd.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
i passed on that clemente because of the back: it is stamped with something like "pat pending made in USA" and the pin bracket is different than any other i've seen. that makes it the only pin from this "series" with any kind of stamping on it. odd.
That Clemente is the glossy 3 1/2" version, it matches up perfectly with the three Cubs glossy 3 1/2" pins that I have, Beckert, Pepitone, and Santo. The one on the left is the Clemente, the one on the right is an Ernie Banks that I was outbid on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pin back banks.jpg (72.0 KB, 425 views)
File Type: jpg pin back clemente.jpg (74.8 KB, 444 views)
File Type: jpg pin front clemente.jpg (72.9 KB, 439 views)
File Type: jpg pin front banks.jpg (64.8 KB, 442 views)
Old 11-29-2019, 08:26 AM
Tom Hansen

Upon further review, all of my 3.5" glossy examples DO have that stamping. so that clemente fits right in with the other 3.5"s ...