NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-02-2016, 11:36 PM
Red

Default Strip Cards, To Clean or Not to Clean?

As a collector and part time dealer of baseball memorabilia for many years (full disclosure), I have questions on cleaning W strip cards.
A large collection was brought to me, mostly in very poor filthy condition. The cards were collected by various members of a family, and had been in a dirty basement for decades, many wrapped in rubber bands ...
The family wishes to sell the collection, however, the cards need curating, i.e., surface soot and other crud, and dirt must be removed to make many of the cards have value.
Members of the family are concerned that cleaning will devalue the cards. Soaking is out of the question, however, there are some wonderful cards here, which will benefit from being cleaned. Of course cards that do not have soot and crud on them are worth more than dirty cards. Not talking about using chemicals here, just light cotton or q-tips, maybe water.
As I am not being paid for this, I have no skin in the game other than my time. Your advice, please.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:41 AM
Ken McMillan

What group of strip cards are we talking about? I have collected W572 cards and some were dirty or even had scrapbook / glue on the back of them. They cleaned up well by soaking to dissolve glue and remove scrapbook paper and very light application of qtips to remove surface grime. The secret is to watch them closely and not soak too long. It is a fine line between just right and too long so start with the real beepaters to get a feel for it and definitely would not use any chemicals.

Kmac
Old 08-03-2016, 06:28 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

No expert on cleaning (anything), but I'd isolate about a half dozen pretty valueless cards and perfect my chosen method on them. By the time I got to the real good ones I'd be damm sure I had my cleaning technique down cold.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:28 AM
Steve Birmingham

It would depend on which set. Some are on such poor cardboard that they may not be all that cleanable.

You could always try a common and see how it goes.

Steve B
Old 08-03-2016, 06:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Try a light, damp cloth to start with. I doubt that would hurt much. It would help to know what kind of cards they are too, to give better advice. There are a ton of strip cards ..... Do you have a scan or picture?
Old 08-03-2016, 05:54 PM
Red

Default Strip Card Cleaning reply

Thank you for your quick replies, fellas.
In the interest of full disclosure again, I have some experience restoring and conserving paper ephemera, historic documents and other material. Each card set represents a different cleaning challenge because of the differences between papers; sometimes even within sets there is no uniformity. I guess the printers in Hoboken, etc. just chose what they had, and if a product changed packaging, another cardboard was used to print the cards. There are also some minor differences in printing inks and finishing, which poses less of a problem.
There are a lot of strip cards here, over 500. They were alphabetized by player last name, put into card pages, inventoried, and put into a heavy duty notebook. Condition runs the gamut: Many were cut disregarding borders, by family members when they were kids over 75 yrs ago, some edges were ripped instead of cut, and some are in very good condition. The HOFers and rarities have been isolated on pages, and needless to say, get the most care.
These strip cards consist of W502s, 503, 511, 512, 513, 514, 515, 516, 519, 520, 521, 522, 551, a few Big Heads, 9316, maybe a couple of 461s, and a few others. It looks like the kids' collecting emphasis was on the players, not the card series or team, although there may be 1 or 2 complete sets. That would explain the many different strip card series' here.
Your answers agree the cards should be cleaned, but of course carefully. Any other general advice you can give me, i.e. to emphasize that cleaning will greatly enhance the value of the cards? Again, thank you so much.

Last edited by Flyingace; 08-03-2016 at 10:04 PM. Reason: More details.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:19 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

As you know, 100 years old paper crumbles easily. If there are marks you want to get off you can always try a Mars Plastic Eraser and they work well. I have used them on just about everything. And as you know by now, some of those series of strip cards can have some very valuable cards...Good luck and keep us updated if you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingace View Post
Thank you for your quick replies, fellas.
In the interest of full disclosure again, I have some experience restoring and conserving paper ephemera, historic documents and other material. Each card set represents a different cleaning challenge because of the differences between papers; sometimes even within sets there is no uniformity. I guess the printers in Hoboken, etc. just chose what they had, and if a product changed packaging, another cardboard was used to print the cards. There are also some minor differences in printing inks and finishing, which poses less of a problem.
There are a lot of strip cards here, over 500. They were alphabetized by player last name, put into card pages, inventoried, and put into a heavy duty notebook. Condition runs the gamut: Many were cut disregarding borders, by family members when they were kids over 75 yrs ago, some edges were ripped instead of cut, and some are in very good condition. The HOFers and rarities have been isolated on pages, and needless to say, get the most care.
These strip cards consist of W502s, 503, 511, 512, 513, 514, 515, 516, 519, 520, 521, 522, 551, a few Big Heads, 9316, maybe a couple of 461s, and a few others. It looks like the kids' collecting emphasis was on the players, not the card series or team, although there may be 1 or 2 complete sets. That would explain the many different strip card series' here.
Your answers agree the cards should be cleaned, but of course carefully. Any other general advice you can give me, i.e. to emphasize that cleaning will greatly enhance the value of the cards? Again, thank you so much.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:02 PM
Ralph Pr3y€r

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
What group of strip cards are we talking about? I have collected W572 cards and some were dirty or even had scrapbook / glue on the back of them. They cleaned up well by soaking to dissolve glue and remove scrapbook paper and very light application of qtips to remove surface grime. The secret is to watch them closely and not soak too long. It is a fine line between just right and too long so start with the real beepaters to get a feel for it and definitely would not use any chemicals.

Kmac
+1
Old 08-05-2016, 02:26 AM
Red

KMac, check my answer your question in the thread. Will cleaning the cards enhance their value?
Old 08-05-2016, 02:28 AM
Red

RP12367, check the answer to your quote in the thread. Will cleaning the cards enhance their value?
Old 08-06-2016, 09:36 AM
Ken McMillan

Depends on the cards involved and the popularity of the issue. In general my thought would be yes but a qualified yes. As a rule peopl like clean cards over cards with issues.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:30 AM
Red

Default Of course, good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
No expert on cleaning (anything), but I'd isolate about a half dozen pretty valueless cards and perfect my chosen method on them. By the time I got to the real good ones I'd be damm sure I had my cleaning technique down cold.
Thank you. Many variables to consider.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:56 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingace View Post
RP12367, check the answer to your quote in the thread. Will cleaning the cards enhance their value?
If you don't damage the card then a cleaner card and better looking card will be more valuable. I have taken countless marks, glues, papers and pastes off of cards with water, q tip and/or plastic eraser. Have had very good luck.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:48 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

There is a dry product that conservators use to remove surface dirt. I forget the name.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Tags
card cleaning, strip card cleaning, strip cards, to clean or not to clean, w card cleaning