NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-04-2007, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Default T-206 and SGC grading questions

Posted By: Mike (18colt)

Good afternoon.

Let's suppose that you were a collector of raw T-206 cards, and that you have decided to sell them. Suppose that in order to maximize sales, you have decided to get some/all of these cards graded by SGC.

1) Which cards in the set, regardless of condition (and aside from the Big Four), would you get graded by SGC prior to selling them?

2) Assume that this is a low-grade collection (fair/poor/authentic). Based on these condition guidelines, which cards (aside from the Big Four; based on fronts and/or backs) would you be most likely to make up the grading fees on versus selling raw?

3) Aside from same-day grading, what other benefits are there to getting these cards graded live at a show instead of mailing them to SGC (for example, the Fort Washington shows now held in Reading, the National, etc.)?

4) Just for clarification, as I've never had anything personally graded (and I'm sure others haven't either), could someone describe what the process typically entails with SGC through the mail and/or live at a show? I know their website has information on it, but firsthand accounts can shed some valuable insight on a situation.

DISCLAIMER: For the record, I have no such collection for sale at this time, nor do I know anyone with such collection for sale at this time. There have been a lot of posts lately on the main board and on the B/S/T concerning low graded T-206s.

REQUESTS: Please do not turn this post into a SGC vs. PSA argument. I know some cards sell better in PSA holders, and some don't. Additionally, please do not turn this into a "class" argument - no poking fun at low grade collections.

Thanks in advance for the responses.

Mike (18colt)

Old 09-04-2007, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: rob

Hi Mike, I will give this a shot.

1) Hall of famers, more difficult/valuable commons, ie magee port, doyle hands up, etc..., and variations, ie lundgren, kleinow, etc...

2) see answer to #1

3) none

4) mail them the cards and choose a service on their sheet. they e-mail confirmation of receipt, they e-mail when the cards are ready. usually within a day or two of the prescribed time.

Rob

edited for spelling

Old 09-04-2007, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert Reiss

In response to your question about grading at a show... I am fortunate to have local shows attended by SCG every month. I take my submission one month, and pick them up the next. I don't care how much time until the next show, the piece of mind of knowing my cards aren't in the mail is huge, (not to mention the postage saved). How far are you from Reading?

Old 09-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike (18colt)

Now, I'm about 2.5 hours away. I grew up 20 minutes east of Reading, and have family in the area. I need to get out more though -- haven't been to a show not located in a mall since the '03 National in Atlantic City. Having small children makes show attendance difficult.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Just looked through some of my cards, here's a query for you all:

Bresnahan, batting pose, EPDG reverse. Not too bad of an appearance, except it has 4 small holes punched through it (they're round, like a hole punch, each just under 1/8" in diameter - 3 of 4 on edges impeding border and picture, the other in green grass bottom left). The question: Even though he's a HOFer and it has a non-common reverse, would you get this one graded?

Thanks in advance.

Mike (18colt)

[ message edited to correct spelling error ]

Old 09-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert Reiss

The shows that I'm talking about are mall shows in the A.B.E. area. As for the grading, I'm saving most that I know will get a 10 for last, (Except HOF'ers and difficults). Beware, having them slabbed can also be a bit addictive.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

I sold most of my collection in April (about 400 T-206 cards), and found that the process was simplified exponentially for me by having all of the cards graded -- even the beatiest of beaters. I took advantage of their Set Registry special and had them all done for $5.00 each. It doesn't make much of a difference on the SGC 10's, but your profit will grow a bit with the 20's and even more so with the 30's and, of course, higher graded cards. So, to answer question one, I would get them all graded prior to selling, even if, as we assume in point number 2, that this is a low-grade collection. I made up the grading fees on virtually every card I sold. The only exception I would make would potentially be for cards that presented better than technical grade. You might do better selling raw, with a good scan and description.

In response to 3, I bring my raw cards to a show in White Plains, NY where SGC is often there to accept submissions. I save on shipping/insurance by doing this. Otherwise, just mail them in.

Finally, grading is really easy. Just go to SGC's website (or visit them at a show), fill out the form, and then mail them in with insurance. They will take care of it and provide you with an e-mail response when they have received your submission (sometimes there is a little lag time between receipt/e-mail, so it is best to call with your voucher number and they will take care of it. Then, in a few days or a month -- depending on your service -- you get the cards back in a box all nicely wrapped in bubble wrap and tape. At this point, you should put each slabbed card into a graded card sleeve, to prevent the face from getting scratched by being rubbed up against each other. Then, enjoy -- or sell.

Edited to add: Oh, and don't bother to get the Bresnahan graded.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

I had all of my T206s graded by SGC.

Even the commons in poor condition.

After selling a card, I didn't want to have to deal with returns and I didn't want to hear that a card was altered in some way. So, I slabbed them all.

If you have a nice quantity... SGC will give you a quantity discount (at least they did for me).

As far as getting your grading fees back... I think you will get most if not all of your money back when selling. Some cards you will take a hit on... some you will get more for.... overall, the grading pays for itself.

jmho. good luck.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Harry Wallace (HW)

I would go ahead and get them all graded when SGC runs some sort of special. As long as you are not in a hurry for them, you should be able to get them done very reasonably and will probably recoup your expenase when they are sold.