NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-06-2006, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Default I decided to take the plunge

Posted By: Scott L

Hello Everyone
After being a long time lurker on the board and often contemplating getting into the T206 set I finally decided to take the plunge and bought my first card tonight. I'm working with a pretty limited budget so my thought is to try and do it in the PSA 1-3 range. In looking at ebay you can get some really presentable cards in this range especially if you can live with some back damage. At this point I think I'm willing to do that if a card has nice centering, nice color and minimal creasing.

I look forward to learning a lot (I already have) and hopefully in the future I'll be able to contribute a thing or two. If you have any cards that fit my range please feel free to shoot me an e-mail.

Regards,

Scott

P.S. Here's a picture of my first purcahse

Old 11-06-2006, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

welcome aboard!

Old 11-06-2006, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Very nice card, Scott! Welcome.

Old 11-06-2006, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd

T206's are like Lays potato chips....
As a wise man (and noted baseball fan) once wrote: "Welcome to my nightmare!"

Old 11-06-2006, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Scott,

It's always good to see people coming out of the closet. That is a heck of a project. I've never really started that set but I have a good starter grouping if I ever want to try. Just out of curiosity, have you figured out how much it would cost to collect this set in an average "2" condition? I've often wondered how much it would cost to complete the monster in a collectors grade (minus the big 4 cards). Do you plan on only collecting PSA or are you going to collect cards in different grading company holders and raw cards?

Good luck and welcome aboard!

Old 11-06-2006, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

Welcome aboard, Scott!

The Monster will want you to quit.
Don't listen to it.
I'm over 425 now and am so glad that i didn't listen.
Admittedly, it still hasn't stopped its unrelenting chatter.
But its only drunken monkeys,as my Buddhist buddies say.

all the best,

Barry

Old 11-06-2006, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee

I started the set last July, so far I have about 1/3 of the HOF's and a few commons. I also picked up a few rare backs while I'm at it. I calculated the set would be about $20000-$22000 to complete in "2" condition, depending on how nice the cards are. I've been buying mostly graded cards, but some ungraded as well. As for grading company, I've bought cards from all 4 major graders (including BVG).

Just thought I would thrown my 2 cents in

Lee

Old 11-07-2006, 04:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

Scott:

I am just curious... why did you start with that particular player?

Old 11-07-2006, 04:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob NYC

Now THAT is a very nice T206 to start off with!

Old 11-07-2006, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

85. Davidson, Paul. Indianapolis, Indiana, American Association. Davidson, an outfielder, hit .262 in 118 games in 1908, with 5 triples and 20 stolen bases, as Indianapolis won the American Association Championship, partly due to the pitching of a young Rube Marquard. He hit only .216 in 74 games in 1909. At Indianapolis, a franchise owned by a group headed by W. H. Watkins, Davidson played in a renovated baseball facility that had capacity for 20,000 fans.

I echo Hal's question, why Davidson? Gotta be someone, maybe you got a deal on this minor leaguer.

Perseverance is the key work in chasing T206. You might consider getting southern league players when available. I've been chasing for 18 years, I lack a dozen.

If you collected unslabbed cards you could gather more cards for the same money. They will store easier. Mine easily fit in a business card box, about the size of a check box. It is easy to spread them out on a table, and just look at the portraits. Or sort them by team (which is how kids bunched them a century ago). They can be sorted by series, so you can see the chronological progression of the set. All of that is difficult to do with a bunch of big, cumbersome slabs. So you might consider unslabbed cards as a more fulfilling and more expeditious way of chasing T206.

Good luck with it, Frank.

Old 11-07-2006, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

welcome to the club...IMO, T206 is the ultimate set...you have amazing artwork, super tuff cards, as well as easy ones, different backs, HOFers, etc, etc...so many different ways of collecting it too: teams, portraits, SLers, the list goes on and on...

i still have my first 2 cards i bought 15 years ago: devlin & elberfeld, i have since framed them & they reside on my dresser...the rest are slabbed & in a safe, but i pull them out almost daily to "play" with them...

best of luck, keep an eye on eBay daily and also be very selective about eye-appeal, so many people collect PSA "numbers" rather than the cards, don't get me wrong i collect PSA cards, BUT, eye-appeal is sooo important.

Good Luck!
Michael

Old 11-07-2006, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

Great start. Good luck to you and enjoy the ride.

Old 11-07-2006, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Campbell

Todd, wasn't that Alice Cooper, who said that ? Based on what I have read about his financial success, a very wise is he. I know...a bit OT.

Old 11-07-2006, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

That was Alice's best album ever......"I think you're going to like it" ......as for T206's they are too common for a type collector like myself...now getting to the backs....that's a whole nuther story....

Old 11-07-2006, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

Welcome aboard the T206 insanity wagon. I took the plunge in June of 2005 and have never regretted it. It's a beautiful set, very available in all grades, both graded and not. That's the fun part for me because unlike the obscure and rare cards that this board takes great pride in, you can pop open e-bay at any time and have an auction closing 24/7. Feeling a little low? Buy yourself a T206 and it's makes the day a bit better. Anything I can help you with, feel free to contact me. Good Luck. Joe

People said it was a million dollar wound. But the government must keep that money, cause I ain't never seen a penny of it.

Old 11-07-2006, 06:44 PM
Administrator

and well wishes. I'm truly looking forward to what will probably be a lifetime undertaking.

As far as the question as to why I started with the Davidson, there really wasn't a reason. Last night when I decided to start collecting the set I immediately went to ebay to see if I could grab something ending soon. There were a couple 1's that were really beaters and no 2's ending that night. I moved to the 3's and there were a couple ending in a half hour or so that had a starting bid of $34 and no bids. I picked what I thought was the nicest looking one and voila, I won it.

Best Regards,

Scott

Old 11-07-2006, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to e-mail me. I have been collecting t206 on and off for about 10 years now (just recently started back at it). I even have a few cards for sale if you are interested for good prices.

Thanks,
Lee

Old 11-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Administrator

I appreciate yours and everyone else's offers if I have any questions. I'll shoot you an e-mail to see what you have. Thanks.

Scott