NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-01-2008, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Default Show Your Stadium Postcards (plus questions)

Posted By: Alan Elefson

Hi-
I recently acquired this Fenway postcard at a flea market. I figured I would use this thread both to ask a few questions and have other folks post their stadium postcards. Here are my questions:
1. When is this postcard from?
2. How many different Fenway postcards are there?
3. Are there any good sites on the web for sports postcard collectors?
4. I know stadium postcards are typically low on the dollar scale for vintage baseball postcards. What is the value for the card depicted? Are there any rare stadium postcards that command high prices?
Any information regarding vintage baseball stadium postcards would be greatly appreciated! Please also show your own!
Thanks in advance,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com
aelefson@meditech.com

Old 01-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Your postcard is 1940-50...it is not rare...and sells in the $10 range. There are hundreds of different Fenway park postcards and I don't know of any comprehensive website for stadium postcards.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

Hi Alan,

A general rule of thumb and a good starting place in determining value of stadium postcards is that PCs of defunct ballparks have a higher value than those of current ones.

I've repeated this often, and it applies to memorabilia other than postcards, but I think that eBay has done a lot to bring down the price of vintage stadium PCs. I don't mean that in a negative way, either. It's just that eBay has made it clear that there are many more copies of certain PCs than was once thought. Only 10-15 years ago you couldn't hope to buy a League Park postcard at a Cleveland-area show or shop for less than $100, and often the asking price was $150-$175. These days there are few League Park PCs that would sell for that much, simply because we know now that they're more plentiful -- though still not common -- as once thought.

A book that I've found very valuable as a checklist and source of other info is Baseball Stadium Postcards, The Definitive Major League Ballparks Checklist and Price Guide, which was published (by the editor, Tom Crabtree) about 10 years. I have no idea how easy or hard it would be to obtain a copy, but my advice is to try. It won't help much on values of PCs, but I've never come across a League Park PC that's not checklisted in the book.

Here are a few of my favorite League Park postcards:

(Postmarked June 13, 1910):

(Postmarked Oct. 17, 1910):

(Postmarked April 14, 1915):

(Postmarked June 15, 1917):

(Pretty scarce because caption on front erroneously reads "Entrance to Base Ball Park, Detroit, Mich."):

Old 01-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Rob, Nice League Park collection.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scgaynor

Rob, that June 13th card is really nice, I know that it is the same view as the 2nd card, but I think that it actually looks better in sepia.

Scott

Old 01-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Pat Nester

Here is my favorite stadium postcard in my collection. It is a real photo postcard of Weeghman Park (now Wrigley Field) postmarked in May of 1914. Per the scoreboard it is a Federal League game between Chicago and St. Louis. The very large unfamilar builing in left field was torn down in 1914.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry Spillman

There is no date on the Lincoln Playground Postcard but the South Side Park is dated 1931.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian C.