NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-24-2007, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Default Do items go for higher prices on ebay then REA?

Posted By: Jason Mishelow

Over the last couple of weeks there seem to be some items showing up on ebay that look a lot like they were won as part of a multiple items lot in the last REA. It seems, however that the items are selling for much more on ebay then on REA- does anyone else notice this and any thoughts? Is it because ebay is a larger market or is it becuase ebay is a less sofisticated market and buyers are over-paying.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike H

I believe it is a combination of exposure, ease of use, and a strong DISLIKE of buyers premiums. I HATE buyers premiums.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Since these must be realized prices (ended auctions) can you say what items you are referring to? regards

Old 05-24-2007, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Hi leon

Some of the these auctions are still going on ebay so i purposesly didn't not meantion any of the items specifcially, please let me know if I have broken a forum rule

Old 05-24-2007, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe K.

Are any of the auctions completed that you can share? I'm curious.

It doesn’t surprise me that multiple lots won on REA, and broken up and sold on Ebay individually, are selling for more (once you total all the auctions) then the single lot sold on REA. The sum of the parts is often greater than the whole.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

I have noticed large selections of pre-war items on ebay this month, stated above it is most likely a combination of things - including the items that were seen in the large auctions last month like REA and Mastro.

seems to be interesting and something we all may want to watch

Take Care Jimmy

Old 05-24-2007, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Old 05-24-2007, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Thanks for not talking about ongoing auctions. It's sort of a courteous thing to each other not to do it. It's not a rule...but we (most of the board) prefer it not to be done.....

Old 05-25-2007, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe

I was bidding on a couple of pics that were in an REA lot that I'd also bid on - and lost.
The 1 pic I wanted, 1885 Buffalo team, sold for nearly double what the entire REA lot sold for.
Not a bad little profit. Needless to say my eBay bid got blown out of the water.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I had those items in my watchlist....I din't know they came from the REA auction. Not sure how I missed those?

That Buffalo photo is stellar.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I just looked at that photo for the first time and I'm a little leery. The seller added that someone pointed out Dan Brouthers and I don't see him in the photo, and I question a few of the other i.d's.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe

The original description in REA catalog says something to the effect that they're
pretty sure it's Buffalo due to the manager in the suit (can't remember his name).
Or - which is much more likely - it could be Rochester, also due to the presence of the same guy.
I thought the "R" would point to Rochester, but finding info on an 1885 Rochester team is tough.
Rochester Bronchos, maybe?
I didn't see Brouthers in there either. He was on that 1885 team along with Galvin, I believe.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Buffalo players wouldn't have an "R" on their uniform; don't see Dan Brouthers; Deacon White is iffy; photo is misidentified. This stuff goes on all the time.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe K.

I was watching that Buffalo photo too, and 5 or 6 other photos the seller had. I too had no idea they came from an REA lot.

Here is the Buffalo auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1885-BUFFALO-NATIONAL-LEAGUE-ORIGINAL-LARGE-TEAM-PHOTO_W0QQitemZ170109825706QQihZ007QQcategoryZ5012 9QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and here is the REA lot:

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/site/bidplace.aspx?itemid=9027

The Brown U photo also went high on ebay. The Brown photo is very nice but $866 seems really high!! Thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1890-BROWN-UNIVERSITY-ORIG-LARGE-TEAM-CABINET-PHOTO_W0QQitemZ170109828799QQihZ007QQcategoryZ5012 9QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Old 05-25-2007, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I am fairly certain that Dan Brouthers is the player far right sitting in the front row.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Tough to explain the high bids on ebay, because these are photos that generally sell for just a few hundred dollars each. The misnamed Buffalo photo claimed to have an important HOF and it didn't, so in that case the buyers were misinformed.

Regarding the Brown photo, which I might value in the $150-250 range, there appeared to be two high snipes set for the end. It could be nothing more than two Brown alumni who wanted to have it.

Other than that, I see no reason for such high prices on these photos.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Dan- He does have the identical mustache as Brouthers. The only problem is he has a different face. I don't believe it's Brouthers, unless he is so young that he looks a bit different. My guess is it's not him. And I don't even think it's the Buffalo team.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:46 PM
Administrator

I think that all of the auctions are over now so i can mentions the items specifically. There was a book lot in REA (Palmer Athletic Sports, Anson Bio and A 1907 A's program with Rube on the cover) the lot went for 600 (or may be 700) at REA. The palmer book sold on ebay for 593 and the rube went for somewhere over 500 ( I last checked with about 1 day left so it may have gone for much higher) So basically someone made a profit and got the anson book- why can't I ever seem to get deal like this

Old 05-25-2007, 10:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Real expensive items are better consigned through REA or such. I wouldn't want to try and auction a $30,000 Willie Mays jersey on eBay. Obviously you're going to have to be well known and respected before an eBayer sends you a $30,000 check.

Old 05-26-2007, 05:06 AM
Administrator

Jason- I was considering the book lot with the Palmer but felt the low condition of it didn't warrant a bid. However, it does appear that you can sell things like that on ebay for more than you can within the hobby. Part of the reason that lot didn't do well in REA is the parts didn't match. There was no one collector who needed those disparate items, so the lot did poorly. It's really the consignor's fault for allowing that, and he would have been better served in a small auction where each lot would have been sold individually.

Old 05-26-2007, 05:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

That's why sellers such as John (Jonstats....who had the photos) take the chance to buy larger lots of items in the Mastronet and REA sales and piece them out on ebay. John is a good guy and doesn't really collect. I used to do the same from Oser and keep 1/2 the items, sell 1/2 the items and many times come out even. Nice way to dollar cost average your collection. Unfortunately, the lots have gone up exponentially in price per item and the lots are larger now. Rarely do you see the $1000 lots anymore--at least in REA and Mastronet. They are typically $5K and up so you take more of a chance with them. I think John sells only items he's bought and that's all he does.........

Old 05-26-2007, 06:49 AM
Administrator

He obviously made some good decisions, because I looked at those lots and decided not to bid on them. I was not aware that generic photos were so desirable on ebay. I will keep that in mind next time.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Jonstats aka John Richmond has a card shop in San Antonio. He's one of the funniest guys I know and a very nice person. He tells the story of his unorganized shop. He says folks that come into it inevitably ask him if he is just moving in or closing shop .....

Old 05-26-2007, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

you can always tell from his photos that he's unorganized........they always have a bunch of extraneous crap in the background. Always enjoy talking with him at the National every year. Have won stuff from him on ebay for years. He ships everything UPS.........

Old 05-26-2007, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John E

I was hoping this thread was referring to a breakup of the 50 Cameo pin lot. I'd love to have a crack at the 2 Milwaukee pins.