NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-08-2002, 06:58 AM
Administrator

Default jverri01, about my ethic

Posted By: jverri01

There are a number of people on this board who I respect immeasurably. In fact, I have done business with probably a couple dozen or more of you in the past. I would like to see these relationships continue to flourish. I make every effort to make a customer happy. I feel that this sentiment is strongly reflected in my feedback. I feel that the reason for this is that I am not a "dealer" in the true sense of the word. I do not have "a store". I do not do it "full-time". I am merely a collector who stepped it up to another level. I work full-time. I spend money everywhere. My practice is to purchase a large lot that may have one or two cards I want for my collection, and then sell the remaining items. For the most part, I break even. What little profit there is, ends up in a savings account that is earmarked as a college fund for my daughter (she is 3 now, so I do have some time...). It has worked for me. I have met some brilliant (and also some not-so-brilliant) people, along the way. And - what this has done for my collection....fantastic. My collection is modest - but, without selling as well as buying, it would be even more modest...

My success is based on a simple formula: I diligently search the globe for the rarest pieces I can acquire, and then I "bring them home" and offer them for sale. I am obsessive about these searches. The effort, time, and focus I put into these "expeditions" is enormous. many would say that the "pay off" is simply not worth all the resources I invest in to the process. I adamantly disagree. MUCH of the fun for me is not just in "possessing", but in FINDING. I take great pride in this. I love to be able to come up with a T205 Drum that makes everyone go completely ape-****. I love the fact that I have established contacts solid enough to call me when they have a group of 5 Broadleaf 460's available. I actually enjoy being able to bring "the unbringable" to the table, and offer it up to serious collectors - people I know will adore these items, treasure them in their collection - preserve them. Take a minute and look through my auctions. I start 99% of my auctions at $1. This is not about money for me. The 1% of cards I have a reserve on are items I have invested alot of money in. Typically, my reserve will be what I have spent.

I, too, have dealt with disreputable dealers. Remember, I buy as much as I sell. I hate being burned. Pisses me off to no end. And, I hate sellers that want $8.00 for shipping. I don't get these people. They know there card won't sell for what they really want, so they triple the shipping cost? Ridiculous. I charge $2.00 for ungraded cards that sell for under $50. I encase them in cardboard and ship in a bubble mailer. I charge $2.50 for graded cards that sell for under $2.50, and the packaging is the same. ANY item that sells for $50. or more is shipped by priority. I charge $4.00. I encase the card in cardboard, then place it in a bubble mailer or bubble wrap, and ship it in a BOX. EVERY item I ship priority goes in a BOX. IMPORTANT to note is that, I SEAL EVERY SEAM ON THE PRIORITY PACKAGES WITH PRIORITY LABELS. This way, it is easy to IMMEDIATELY know whether the package has been tampered with. I know how I like to receive cards, and, in turn, I try to provide a superior packaging and shipping service. My feedback reflects this. The overwhelming sentiment is that I ship fast in super secure packaging. And, think about it. The USPS charge for priority shipping is $3.50. I don't exactly make a profit on shipping.

Trust me, I am not "tooting" my horn here. I am simply trying to provide a sense of how I approach this whole thing. That is importanyt, because, on a number of occassions in the past, my name has come up, and the comments have been sour. Those of you that have done business with me know I am fair. I boast a repeat business rate of over 75%. How does one do this if the customer does not feel overwhelmingly staisfied with the transaction? I take cards back when a customer is dissatisfied. I sold a graded card for almost $2,000. a while back. GRADED, mind you. The customer got the card, and said he was unhappy because the card was creased. It was a 2. Alot of the time, 2's HAVE CREASES. We all know this. I would EXPECT this. The listing had a description, a scan, etc. BUT, MY CUSTOMER was unhappy, so I negotiated a lesser price with him. I ended up sending him a check for $300.! If a shipment is longer than I like, I REFUND the shipping fees. Recently, I sent about twenty packages by Priority mail. HALF of them were returned to me as "undeliverable". The postage and addresses were FINE. The USPS made a mistake (they make ALOT of them these days). But, I felt it was unfair for the customer to be punished, so I reshipped every package at my expense AND refunded every person their shipping charges.

Bottom line: I love what I do, and I feel privileged to have the opportunity to see some of these rare pieces. To hold the rarest of cards. When I was a child, I dreamed about these cards, these players. Now - I am living that dream, and it is FANTASTIC.

jverri01

Old 01-08-2002, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Williams

Great post....

Old 01-08-2002, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Hodes

I just want to note that I have happily done business with James (aka "jverri") and that I applaud both his post and his efforts to bring/keep himself in the good graces of those who frequent this Board. The whole NASA/Wagner situation (as he explained it) was regretable to say the least. While James may not have handled it ideally at the outset -- I concur with MW that he was not truly forced to list the NASA/Wagner in the first place -- his situation as a collector who has segued into dealing makes it understandable at least.
Hope everyone has a fruitful and enjoyable new year.

Old 01-09-2002, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: vorthian

<<< Trust me, I am not "tooting" my horn here. I am simply trying to provide a sense of how I approach this whole thing. That is importanyt, because, on a number of occassions in the past, my name has come up, and the comments have been sour. Those of you that have done business with me know I am fair. >>>

I wonder why some of the comments have been sour, especially after reading your replies during the Full Count days. BTW, was this a fair reply to another?

<< Re: Sorry"JVERRI01",you lied-period!

Date: 6/20/01
Time: 10:57:59 AM
Remote Name: 130.64.61.15
Comments

Brian, First: thank you for your ongoing, unfettering sense of drama, and the often overpowering sense of chaos you bring to everything you touch. I guess my first question is, if you really feel the cards I list and sell are "sub-par", why, then, have you made purchases from me? It is interesting that, when the card was first listed, you "called Guy Stopard" at NASA to question him. Yet, in your amateur, but always unique, sense of disorder, you just go right ahead and claim that I drafted the letter on my own. You are so wrong. But, you are well-accustomed to that phenomena by now, I am sure. As much free time as you have on your hands, why not make a phone call to your friend Mr. Stopard and ask about the letter? Even if you have to wait until next Monday when you get your allowance, it would at least show that you are making some attempt at being objective. As for all of the other unfounded claims you make - I simply do not have the free time that you do, which would be required to educate you in the error of your ways. As always - I do appreciate your feedback. You are a deli's advocate (if not the devil himself) like none other. The bottom line: There was no lie here. See what you wish - rarely have people been able to coax you back in to reality in the past - why should I expect otherwise from you at this stage in the game? Whether you believe me or not is of little - if any - significance to me. Your opinion is just that - opinion. But, I would suggest that you make a little more of an effort at restraining yourself. When a person becomes so opinionated that what they say is offensive - nothing is accomplished or gained, regardless of what the motivating factors may be. I do know that deep down there under all of that algae are good intentions. Perhaps, though, you could contort yourself enough to allow some of it to bubble up to the surface. You know - like twisting yourself just enough to pass the gas that invariably will not leave your bowels. From this point forward, Mr. Daniels, I have no further comment, except to reiterate one thing: I am engaged in a lawsuit - against the very people you suggest I am bedfellows with, so I am not at liberty to appease your reckless accusations. >>

Or this?

<< Re: New "graded" T-206 Wagner on Ebay

Date: 4/26/01
Time: 2:21:59 PM
Remote Name: 130.64.61.15
Comments

Yes, and as a side note to your statement about me "not being knowledgeable" - I made $300.+ profit on the 2 Matty cards I sold you. Who is really smarter? This is the 3rd thread I've seen with you slamming me. Maybe take a look in the mirror for a minute - if you can stand it. I am an honest, reputable person. I do NOT claim to be a person of SUPERIOR intelligence - but, I do know what I am talking about. Unlike you. >>

Old 01-09-2002, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

1 ) An honest person does not have to spend expand all this energy defending their charactor! It would speek for itself!

2 ) The Wagner was fake junk,James had no such law suit he claimed and even in these missives he claims he will not "Toot His own Hoen" but what are all these responses??

Hey James, just for the record...........I have no issue with you and alomst bid on a couple of those rare backs because you FINALLY came up with something of interest and value......those ad's with continuous adjectives describing garbage cards you try to sell to off-set the principle cost of the cards you want to keep is fine and we all do it! But you go on and on and on and Vorthian ,whom obviously does not like purjorous bologna as well....pal,you got caught with your hand in a Wagner T-206 cookie jar and you could not bale yourself out! If you were as you tout,honerable and all that bologna....you would have just confessed you made a giant misque and gone on selling more cards and such.

The " My daughter's college fund" was really the clincher for raking you over the coals! If the false so called facts on the Wagner were not enough,than the violin playing might make a sale on a card again I emphasis you have/HAD no law suit involving.....if you did it would be a matter of public record and that James is not happening!
Truce James,it's old news anyway. Considering you ,like myself have a family to raise. Considering the political temperature of the world right now,this is both old hat and petty and should be put behind everyone.( except NASA and Studard??? whomever he is ). He should be jailed for igonrance! Good luck james i hope you sell tons more stuff and end up with a real nice collection you can look at by the fireplace when you are 80 * ; )