NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-11-2017, 04:49 AM

Default New Member Introduction/E 102's

I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Dan from PA. I've been collecting for a while now but only recently discovered the forum. Interests are the E series cards and learning the differences between them. Any recommended books or literature ?
Trying to finish out a set of E102's and down to some of the harder ones - Wagner fielding, Miller fielding,Doyle batting etc. Are they out there ??
thanks,
Dan
PS: a special thanks to our veterans !
Old 11-11-2017, 06:47 AM
pete ullman

Welcome! The e102 miller fielding was the first miller card i acquired that eventually led me to pursuing a run of this pose. I picked it up because i liked the pose...and at the time i was pursuing scarcities within e sets. Its a toughie!! Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1B86DD81-075B-47FE-8D65-A16AE0CB098A.jpg (20.6 KB, 167 views)
Old 11-11-2017, 09:20 AM
Dave_Berg

Hello and welcome to the forum
Old 11-11-2017, 09:58 AM
Dan Bl@u

Welcome! There are certainly a few of us here who collect are addicted to the E92-family cards. I don't have any of the ones you listed yet, but I'm slowly working on the set...

The E-Card page at Old Cardboard is a great resource for learning about the sets, as well as just using the search function on this site to find old threads about caramel cards. Happy collecting!

Last edited by Bliggity; 11-11-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:38 AM

Welcome to the board. The three E102 cards you mention are indeed the tough ones in the set, so much so that I think there are relatively few complete sets out there compared to the other E92 family of cards. And it has been like this for decades. One of these toughies only seem to pop up every 2 or 3 years, and there is always competition. They are definitely the cards that will keep a non-aggressive card set completer like myself from ever finishing the E102 set.

Good luck, and welcome aboard! Another resource you might check into is Lew Lipset's The Enyclopedia of Baseball Cards. The volume on E cards has a detailed write-up for each set (some info is outdated, but still indespensible), and if you get the combined volume you also get great info on the T and Nineteenth century sets too.

Brian
Old 11-11-2017, 11:41 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliggity View Post
Welcome! There are certainly a few of us here who collect are addicted to the E92-family cards. I don't have any of the ones you listed yet, but I'm slowly working on the set...

The E-Card page at Old Cardboard is a great resource for learning about the sets, as well as just using the search function on this site to find old threads about caramel cards. Happy collecting!

nice cards!!!!! And Brian is spot on...i tried "hoarding" e102 millers but they're just too expensive and i think the pop is a small hoard!!!!!
Old 11-12-2017, 05:19 AM

Default thanks

Thanks for the kind words and help. Will look for Lipset's book and review "old cardboard" . I'll keep my eyes open but please keep me in mind if you hear of any of those cards and don't need them yourselves ! Lastly, on E102's , has anyone seen a picture of all 29 (?) cards in the set together ??

Looking for another of the E series to start on if there are any suggestions or recommendations on a starter set ??

Lastly and more of a "supply" question..Years ago I purchased plastic sheets for graded cards. I haven't look too much but what I have searched for, I haven't seen them again. Can anyone recommend a supplier ??

thanks
Dan
Old 11-12-2017, 05:45 PM
Marty H.

Old Cardboard has a gallery of the set. Here's the link;

http://www.oldcardboard.com/e/e1/e102/e102gal.asp

Last edited by MartyFromCANADA; 11-12-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:49 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Hi Dan,

Glad to see you were able to find the board. I'm sure a few board members have complete E102 sets including the 4 toughies. REA sold a near set (27/29) a few years ago. As far as other E sets, it really depends on your budget, what type of set you want, and how patient/crazy you are. Personally, I would probably look at either e93 or e95. Both are relatively easy with no tough cards and are loaded with HOFers. If you want something a bit more difficult, have a preference for portraits, or want a unique looking set, E103 are certainly a good option. In addition, any of those will give you different poses from the E92/E101/E102 family of sets.

Last I heard, the graded card pages for binders have been out of productions for a few years. Occasionally you can find them on Ebay, but that's about the only place I've heard of them showing up.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers