NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-13-2012, 08:31 PM

Default Please help with the Chief Bender Death card

does anyone have information on this piece? i purchased it, but have no info or history on it.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:32 PM
D Brown

Fantasy piece -- The font at top left ("INDIAN AGENCY") seems to be Candara, which was created in 2007 and I think comes as part of Windows Vista. The other printed type looks like Times, freshly printed. Swastikas are all wrong, too, those went out of style on postcards by the 1930s or earlier. The old one-cent blank stock is probably real!

David
Old 09-13-2012, 09:47 PM
Jake

Could be wrong, but I think the swastikas are facing the wrong way.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:28 AM
Jason Stricker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlighter View Post
Could be wrong, but I think the swastikas are facing the wrong way.
Historically, swastikas were drawn in both left facing and right facing designs. It's been used in religion, specifically Indian relgions such as Hinduism, for thousands of years. The symbol means 'to be good', but was sometimes viewed as 'good luck'. There are plenty of archaeological examples of the swastika pointing in both directions, many times in the same piece of artwork, such as a tiled floor. When the Nazi party adopted the symbol around 1920, they used a right facing swastika and for most in the Western world, the meaning and symbolism changed to hatred and disgust.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:46 AM

Do we all agree it is a Fantasy piece and not original to the stated time period?
Old 09-14-2012, 07:56 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206blogcom View Post
Historically, swastikas were drawn in both left facing and right facing designs. It's been used in religion, specifically Indian relgions such as Hinduism, for thousands of years. The symbol means 'to be good', but was sometimes viewed as 'good luck'. There are plenty of archaeological examples of the swastika pointing in both directions, many times in the same piece of artwork, such as a tiled floor. When the Nazi party adopted the symbol around 1920, they used a right facing swastika and for most in the Western world, the meaning and symbolism changed to hatred and disgust.
You are absolutely correct on the history of the swastika, but as of 1954, its association with Nazi Germany was still so strong that it would have never been used in a piece of formal correspondence for a government agency.

In addition to the huge issue of the fonts, I also don't like, as best as I can tell, the halftone photo. I would expect it to have a wider dot pattern for that period. I think the conclusion that it is a fantasy piece and not of the period is correct.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:41 AM
Jason Stricker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
You are absolutely correct on the history of the swastika, but as of 1954, its association with Nazi Germany was still so strong that it would have never been used in a piece of formal correspondence for a government agency.
Totally agree. I forgot to actually comment on the Chief Bender piece. I agree it's probably a fantasy piece. Why would a death notice use a baseball card photograph anyway? That seemed a little odd to me, but then again, I'm not an expert on death notices.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:12 PM
D Brown

I'll add that while the font screams out "post-2000", I used a handy tool to get to its name: Identifont
http://www.identifont.com/
Which lets you answer a number of questions about a font's appearance and then magically tells you its name. It's kind of amazing, even from a small sample like this Bender piece.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:47 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrown View Post
I'll add that while the font screams out "post-2000", I used a handy tool to get to its name: Identifont
http://www.identifont.com/
Which lets you answer a number of questions about a font's appearance and then magically tells you its name. It's kind of amazing, even from a small sample like this Bender piece.
Very cool tool, though it tells me the font is Brix Slab (though it looks nothing alike). I'm not sure that tool has all fonts of all types every made - I don't think you can use it as evidence it is a new font.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:00 PM
D Brown

Default re: Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Very cool tool, though it tells me the font is Brix Slab (though it looks nothing alike). I'm not sure that tool has all fonts of all types every made - I don't think you can use it as evidence it is a new font.
Yet it is Candara, and Candara was introduced in 2007.
http://www.cufonfonts.com/en/font/12050/candara
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candara