NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-27-2017, 05:51 PM
Dave Grob

Default What does your collection do for you?

There are any number reasons why people collect what they do. My collection is fairly large, somewhat diverse, but very heavy into pre-1980 major league uniforms. So what does my collection do for me?

1. It serves as personal and professional reference library.

2. It allows me the ability imagine.

It is the second point that I would like to expand and expound upon. I have no first hand personal experience of witnessing a major league game in person prior to August of 1969 (Crosley Field). I never saw a game at Ebbets Field, and to be more precise, it was demolished before I was born. Yet I have always been fascinated with the thought of having been old enough to have enjoyed that special intersection of time and place…Brooklyn in the late 1940s and 1950s.

My collection provides me with visual and physical references to feed my imagination through things like this…something I call “The Colors of Ebbets Field.”
What does your collection do for you?

Dave Grob
davegrob1@aol.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Slide1.jpg (72.0 KB, 396 views)
Old 08-27-2017, 07:36 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I totally agree. It's like a time machine. The ability to go back in time and imagine how much different it would be than today. Football teams with 11 players, hockey the same. It's hard to imagine some, if any of this stuff still survives today.

I like paper items and I think sometimes that some of the items that I have in my collection came home from a game in a horse drawn wagon. It's amazing.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:17 PM
Jeff Lazarus

For me the primary factor is a way to connect to history. I love baseball and find the places where it intersects with "real" history fascinating. For example, the role baseball and Jackie Robinson played in moving towards equality for African Americans and minorities was significant enough that Martin Luther King and others pointed to his role. The role of baseball players in WWII is another area that intrigues me. Often the items I buy are either the impetus for some of my research, or the result of researching an area and finding it fascinating. Many items have related books on my shelf.

My focuses include:
1) Integration/Jackie Robinson
2) WWII-related baseball items
3) Negro-League items
4) Line-up cards
5) US Tours of Japan (although I may end up selling this off to fund other collections)

The lineup cards are simply because they are cool, a real challenge to collect (the goal is a signed lineup card from every manager who made the HOF, beginning from the era that lineup cards were used), and extremely "close" to the game.

There's also the community around baseball, the game itself (playing softball, listening to MLB games on the radio, following the stats etc.)
Old 08-28-2017, 07:26 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

For me it allows me to share my collection with my daughters, and give them a sense of the history of women playing sports. I can't say that they are super into it but they care enough about it to ask about what I get in and they have told some of their friends about some of it. This as opposed to when I have bought some items regarding major league baseball that I thought they would be somewhat interested in...nope. Bought a Jeter game used bat. Supposedly two of their favorites player. I got "oh...that's nice".

At least with the women in baseball items they show more of an interest and seem to like to learn something about the piece and the history surrounding it.

Also the challenge of collecting such "outsider baseball" items makes it more enjoyable for me.

Tom C
Old 08-28-2017, 07:38 AM
Mike

For me, my collection just makes me happy. I have loved the Yankees for 41 years and anytime I can add a piece to the collection, be it a baseball card, a bobblehead, an autograph or pennant, it gives me the joy I had when I first started watching the games on PIX here in NY or the excitement I had when I would go to games as a kid. This is excitement I rarely experience as an adult anymore, so when I am able to pick up a piece to add it brightens up my day. Plus, seeing all the fantastic collections here gives me something to shoot for.

Mike
Old 08-28-2017, 09:47 AM
M@rk Lu7z

Pop psychologists will tell you that part of what motivates baseball fans is the association of baseball with your father. You don't need to be Carl Jung to detect some truth to this in my case. I got my first pro model bat when I was about 10. My grandfather, a baseball man through and through, had died the year before, and I found an old bat in his basement. After I removed the tar that covered it, I discovered that it was a model of a fairly famous player from the deadball era. I wrote to Hillerich and Bradsby and described the bat meticulously (for a 10 year old), and they wrote back saying that the bat was made for his personal use. I didn't pick up many more old bats until the early 90's when the Louisville find made it possible for me to pick up a number of bats used by my father's favorite players from the 20's and 30's. Like my ancestors, I am a Pirates fan, so most of the bats are Pirate bats. But I also love pre-war Giants bats. I don't know why. Maybe a need to see a shrink to find out. It also occurs to me that my father inherited his father's disdain for the live ball era ("rabbit ball" he called it). In my family, the deadball era was cool. So, I really love bats from that era. They connect me to my father and to his father. Even if they didn't, they are an intimate part of the game, each one tells a story, and who doesn't admire a good baseball bat?

Last edited by Mark; 08-28-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:45 AM
Mike Kendall

My love of baseball began very early. Summer in my neighborhood meant playing the game all day long. We road our bikes to the schoolyard, picked teams and played. My first clear memory is the Mantle Maris chase for 60 home runs in 1961. Although we lived in Indiana, this was all everyone was talking about. Baseball cards were just for kids back then and we all collected and traded. My father also loved the game and we always attended several games each summer in Chicago, St Louis, Cincinnati or Detroit. I was allowed to pick one souvenir from the vendors outside the stadium. In many ways, maybe I am now buying the souvenirs I was forced to pass on all those many years ago. I like to think I am preserving history by collecting, but as the quote below says, I am also hanging on to a bit of my childhood.
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 08-28-2017, 02:07 PM
Chris Wood

Great thread!

I echo much of the sentiment stated above (historical, connectivity, family) but for me my collection (the not-for-sale elements of it at least) bridges a physical distance from hometown city and team. I am thousands of miles away and have been for over a decade and a half now and I truly miss the excitement of being a fan of my team in their home city. The pieces I collect and display make me feel a part of that which I dearly miss.

Last edited by baseball tourist; 08-28-2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:58 PM
Mike H.

I enjoy history in general but love history when I relates to something I appreciate (my Country, Historically significant people, etc. collecting Baseball memorabilia provides a tremendous connection to the history of my favorite sport and the Rich memories of my youth.

It is has been a wonderful source of friends who are greatest treasure of this hobby for me.

I love historical art but do not have the resources to acquire "fine art". I view much of my collection as art and focus greatly on the beauty, execution of form, design, color scheme, and aesthetic of each piece of art in my collection.

I must admit I enjoy the thrill of the hunt for an elusive piece and tremendous gratification of the "FIND".

I enjoy putting together displays, and creating an interesting environment. As the chief curator and chairman of the board for the Mikey Museum of Baseball History, I can pursue that passion with gusto.

I confess I enjoy striking a deal and finding a bargain. In a very real way, I am creating a memorabilia investment portfolio. I'm not counting on this return to sustain us in retirement, but I believe I will be able to get my money back, plus a gain. This process is gratifying and does eliminate the guilt that might accompany a less fiscally responsible hobby like gambling

Above all it's just plain fun����⚾️

Last edited by mjkm90; 08-28-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:55 PM
Dave Grob

Default What does your collection do for you.

Wonderful set of varied responses. Thanks to all of you for sharing in this thread.

Dave Grob
davegrob1@aol.com
Old 08-28-2017, 06:05 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

All great replies...

Mike H and Mike K both summed it up for me. Great responses and insight.

The only possible thing I can add is that I need a daily visual reminder that the Cincinnati Reds were once good.

Last edited by perezfan; 08-28-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:19 PM
Jim Murphy

Never liked school, even hated kindergarten but with baseball I researched for more than 50 years. It gave me knowledge.

I find it cool
Old 08-29-2017, 11:26 AM
Rob

What does my collection do? Eats my spare time and wallet.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:25 PM
Brendan Mullen

Pop psychologists will tell you that part of what motivates baseball fans is the association of baseball with your father. You don't need to be Carl Jung to detect some truth to this in my case. I got my first pro model bat when I was about 10. My grandfather, a baseball man through and through, had died the year before, and I found an old bat in his basement. After I removed the tar that covered it, I discovered that it was a model of a fairly famous player from the deadball era. I wrote to Hillerich and Bradsby and described the bat meticulously (for a 10 year old), and they wrote back saying that the bat was made for his personal use. I didn't pick up many more old bats until the early 90's when the Louisville find made it possible for me to pick up a number of bats used by my father's favorite players from the 20's and 30's. Like my ancestors, I am a Pirates fan, so most of the bats are Pirate bats. But I also love pre-war Giants bats. I don't know why. Maybe a need to see a shrink to find out. It also occurs to me that my father inherited his father's disdain for the live ball era ("rabbit ball" he called it). In my family, the deadball era was cool. So, I really love bats from that era. They connect me to my father and to his father. Even if they didn't, they are an intimate part of the game, each one tells a story, and who doesn't admire a good baseball bat?

Great answer. So true. Whose pro model bat did you discover when you were a 10 year old? Was it game used? Just curious...as I love bats from this era and have about 30 game used bats from various players in the T206 set.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:20 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
What does my collection do? Eats my spare time and wallet.
Rob I have to admit your response brought a tear to my eye.
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown