NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Default Hunt Auction Pickups

Posted By: T206Collector

Anybody snag anything at the Hunt Auction at the Louisville Slugger Museum? I was the unidentified telephone bidder going crazy after the signed T206 cards ....and I got 'em! Hooray! I now have 31 different signed T206 cards and will be sending my article about them to Old Carboard within the next couple of weeks.

Anyone else win anything in Louisville today?

Old 11-11-2007, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

very cool!

Old 11-11-2007, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Goff

Living in Louisville, I wanted to go down today, but had a prior engagement and could not attend. Nice pick-up!!

Old 11-11-2007, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Anyone know what the Reach signs went for?

Old 11-11-2007, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Kennedy

Nope...Me and a buddy sat through every lot, all day long awaiting the Lundgren EPDG lot. I ended up getting my ASSSSSSSS kicked by a telephone bidder. Pretty much ruined my weekend. It sucks to lose. Alot of cool memorabilia in that auction though and alot of money was spent.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Kennedy

Dan- Ididn't write it down, but those Reach signs was bringing in like $3,500 to $5,400 if my memory serves me correct.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

I won one of the lots of six Drum cards.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Art M.

If anyone here won Hunt auction lot 650 I would be interested in the T206 Sam Crawford, Drum back, SGC authentic card in that lot.
Thanks.
Art

Old 11-11-2007, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scottbrockelman

the Contentnea's, below my predetermined max bid

Will have some dupes to sell!

Old 11-11-2007, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Rivera

I picked up lot 651 - 5 authentic Drum backed T206s

Old 11-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JT Burtchaell

I placed an absentee bid on a group of the bat dyes. Thought those were pretty cool. I can see that the final bid matched my maximum, but I haven't been notified if that bid was mine or someone elses. Has anyone else been notified about an absentee bid? By the way, just between you and me, I would probably spend a lot more with Hunt Auctions if they had an auction interface that was easier to navigate/search.

JT

Old 11-11-2007, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

Scott--What T209-2s were in the lot and what is still available?

Thanks--Jay

Old 11-12-2007, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

Seemed like there were some very reasonable deals to be had, especially with a number of T206 HOFers. Some excellent break-up value for dealers, I would guess. I managed to snag one T206 lot.
I also noticed that a large number of lots did not sell this time.

Economic worries or the large number of auctions running simultaneously? Everyone waiting for the next Mastro auction? Even still, I did not manage to get that E90-2 Wagner, although I tried.....
Brian

Old 11-12-2007, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Manos

Sold 3 lots did very well and took the family. Really nice event. Managed to buy a few cards as well. If I check the final prices and it say's $0.00 does that mean it did not hit the consigner's reserve?? Any help would be great??

Old 11-12-2007, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Is it just me or do others think the Drums went really cheap?
JimB

P.S. I really wish they would make their website just slightly user friendly.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

I was surprised at how cheap they went...especially the Cobb. I though, even Authentic, it would be closer to $6 - $8K. The first lot or two went relatively high, but some of the others went really cheap. One of the lots of six barely broke $300/card with vig. I've seen some good condition Drums sell in the $2k range...and here you could have gotten six of them for less than that price. I was quite surprised at those results.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I think it might be an instance of too many Drums in one auction...and I just got their smaller internet catalog and there were a couple of dozen (?) more there. All very off condition, but this find may have skewed their rarity factor a bit.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

I sold a few gems from my T206 collection on ebay a few weeks ago for maybe 2/3 of what I believed they would sell for. The signed T206 cards went for $2,100 less than I was prepared to pay. When Hunt called me to get me ready to bid by phone and then the bidding started at $2,000, I was shocked. I thought for sure they'd start at $4,000. The Rucker and Snodgrass signed cards in the October H+S auction sold for about $600 each. Here I walked away with 8 signatures for less than $400 each, with juice. Shocked but thrilled.

I think there is less $$$$ being thrown at vintage cards lately.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

start to finish......outbid on 3-4 lots and won the lot of Louisville Colonels panoramic photos from 1939 (w/Pee Wee Reese) and 1940. I think a lot of stuff went below what I would have considered wholesale/retail. Some stuff, however, was very strong. The Callahan autographed cards and the white HOF plaques were particularly strong. Guess the difficult ones, coupled with the quality of the lot, single owner and some other factors conspired to keep them up there. The cards were generally sluggish I thought.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Administrator

I think Hunt does a disservice by not getting his consignors' cards graded.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Atkatz

I picked up lot 396--1901 and 1925 Pittsburgh Pirates reunion signed ball. The last one of these I saw went for $13k. This one went for $8400 with Buyer's premium. The former had a bit darker signatures; this one belonged to Jim McKechnie.
Very happy to get it at that price.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian

"I think Hunt does a disservice by not getting his consignors' cards graded."

They're one of the few auctions I don't participate in, along with Lelands. Requiring a credit card on file is the quickest way not to get any of my business. There are just too many others out there that will accept references without having to invade personal privacy even more by requiring personal credit info on file.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

David, I think you meant to write "Bill McKechnie".

Could it be that the market is starting to reflect the overall economic situation in the US right now? With the exception of a few items I've been getting things on ebay much cheaper than usual as of late and some of the stuff I've been selling has been going a lot cheaper than it did when I obtained them. $100/barrel oil is not good for us.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Atkatz

Thanks, Dan. Yes--Bill McKechnie. (That's what comes of being an A.L. fan.)

I do think the memorabilia market is beginning to reflect the general lack of consumer confidence.

Time to pick up some bargains!

Old 11-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Dan- there is no question that the economy is beginning to have some effect on the market. Exactly what that is we are still learning, but when you begin to feel the pinch you spend less on baseball cards.

The sky isn't falling, and the great things are still great, but there are areas that are soft.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Yeah, despite what many think, vintage baseball cards will fall with the economy. Talk about an item that is hardly a necessary thing to own in down times....

Old 11-12-2007, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat (ret.)

Mastro has a lot of good things coming up. It's going to be a very nice auction. This should be a great barometer as to how the industry really stands.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

But this will be a fascinating time in the hobby. The first big price boom in cardboard was exacerbated by the 1979-80 Gold/Silver Rush, and other problems in the economy. The big boom of the 1980's (which goosed up both vintage and new cards) occured almost immediately as a reaction to 1987's Black Monday.

So, we've had a couple of situations where when the economy tanks, collectibles increase in value and interest. The only possible downside to this is in addition to the money crisis, the housing crisis and the oil crisis may leave us with less collectors.

If you want my guess, based on previous history, items such as what Bruce D. and Jim C. collect will remain strong but some of the more mundane articles in vintage will slow down. I expect that the world of EX or lesser T206's will soften as will other more readily accessible vintage cards. I'm not sure about the new card market, but I suspect anything can and will happen in that market.

The SkyDash find with the super high grade Colgan's will do just fine,...

I'm curious as to all of your opinions.

Regards
Rich

Old 11-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dstudeba

Scott -

You outbid a partner and I. I would have gone higher but Hunts never sent me scans/IDs of the other cards. Please let me know what is available, thanks and congrats.