NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-28-2019, 10:39 AM
R Dixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
My sense is that at the very high end, for cards like these, it's the internet/social media equivalent of a pissing context among guys with huge amounts of disposable income. And it only takes two guys who want to win the pissing contest to drive the price to numbers that look nuts to the rest of us. I'm not sure these guys see these purchases as investments per se. I think a lot of it is ego gratification. Just speculating.
I think this same thing about most collectibles when the money reaches a certain amount. When someone posts a group of cards in the monthly pick-up thread that cost thousands of dollars each and the reply's are "Wow", "Amazing", "Unbelievable" blah blah...I usually just think "Expensive". But isn't the fact that they cost a lot of money what makes certain collectibles "better" than others to most of us?

Last edited by rdixon1208; 02-28-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:40 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
So I must conclude that neither bidder has prostate issues.
No dribblers in the elite Jordan market.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:41 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdixon1208 View Post
I think this same thing about most collectibles when the money reaches a certain amount. When someone posts a group of cards in the monthly pick-up thread that cost thousands of dollars each and the reply's are "Wow", "Amazing", "Unbelievable" blah blah...I usually just think "Expensive". But isn't the fact that they cost a lot of money what makes certain collectibles "better" than others to most of us?
I think that's true to an extent but on the other hand some of my favorite cards (mostly non-sports) even though very hard to find cost next to nothing.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:55 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdixon1208 View Post
But isn't the fact that they cost a lot of money what makes certain collectibles "better" than others to most of us?
I go for fulfilling to me personally, not necessarily "better" than something someone else has or than what exists in my collection prior-to. But yeah, no matter how you slice it, money helps. If I had that kind of disposeable income to be throwing at cards, I sure wouldn't be buying something that was made in the 1990's or later. But each unto their own...

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-28-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:54 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
No dribblers in the elite Jordan market.
In Jordan We Truss
Old 02-28-2019, 02:10 PM
Barry Sloate

Since I know virtually nothing about these super expensive modern cards, I have a question for those who do. If you buy one of these six-figure mega-cards today, and hold it for a few years before reselling it, do you generally make money or lose money?
Old 02-28-2019, 03:31 PM
Scott Russell

Just like poker players Barry, a few guys only break even but nobody actually loses money, just ask them.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 02-28-2019, 03:48 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Just like poker players Barry, a few guys only break even but nobody actually loses money, just ask them.
I know Scott. I've yet to meet someone who bought a stock that went down.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:59 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Time was, the Tip Top Boy mascot went for the same price as a '52 Topps Mantle. They can't all be winners.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Me too., Give me a Wooth wookie! (right Joe T?)! The newer collectors can have their shiny stuff. It's all good....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
I go for fulfilling to me personally, not necessarily "better" than something someone else has or than what exists in my collection prior-to. But yeah, no matter how you slice it, money helps. If I had that kind of disposeable income to be throwing at cards, I sure wouldn't be buying something that was made in the 1990's or later. But each unto their own...