NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-28-2019, 05:12 PM
Jay Cee

Default Longtime Dealer Jay Dyer has passed away

Jay had been battling Heart disease since his late 40s. Jay, was a National dealer in the 90s-00s. He normally set up at local shows in Florida, Atlanta, and never missed the National. Jay, always took the time to treat everyone with dignity and respect. He was known as Jay's Best Buy as he sold "wholesale" to anyone who liked to talk baseball.

Jay always had a great selection of both pre & post war items. He was one of the pioneers back in the 90s to get minor league cards out to the mainstream.

I consider Jay one of my best friends. I put his Physiology degree to work many times over decades, of our friendship. My kids call him Uncle and anyone that knew Jay, would call him their friend. He was a very selfless man, that would always stick to his convictions. Jay had a great memory, which lead to many baseball stories and he had a gift of remembering customers and their prior discussions.

Jay was 71 and is survived by his Daughter Alexis and two Sisters. I'm still in shock posting this as the news came in today. Rest in Peace my friend and you will surely be missed.

JC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9430.jpg (55.3 KB, 100 views)

Last edited by BeanTown; 03-01-2019 at 08:16 AM.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:28 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I knew Jay but not well enough. My only interactions with him were always cordial, though I think I only met him a few times or so. May he rest in peace and sorry for your loss, JC and prayers to his other friends and family.....

Last edited by Leon; 02-28-2019 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:21 PM
Paul D.

Jay was a good friend. We did many Florida shows together back in the 1980's/1990's.
He also purchased many cards/collections from me over the years. He was a tough negotiator but we both were always happy with the deals because each of us thought that we came out on top! He was a good guy & I always respected his knowledge of the hobby.
RIP my friend & thanks for the memories.

Paul D.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:34 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Jay

Jay was a great guy, a dealer I considered a friend when I would see him at shows here in Jacksonville, Florida in the 1990s and beyond. I believe at that time he was living in Palm Coast. I still have some 1961 Fleer Basketball cards I bought from him as well as some other items. He had an eclectic display with a lot of older weird items including as I recall a very very old time Cy Young minor league posed photo from Cy Youngs estate ( which when I was back in Ohio in the 1980s was supposedly from what was called at that time "Cy Youngs Trunk" ). I know this is rambling but the guy was nice, funny, friendly and just made seeing him a pleasure to talk over baseball and sports memorabilia. I remember him telling me about how he first discovered his heart problem.... he was as you can see by his picture always rail thin and was actually out jogging maybe??? in his 40s when he felt unusually tired, stopped, and without significant pain, his legs told him in his words "HEY IM GOING DOWN" and he actually fell down to the street. If Im not mistaken, I think he told me after he rested he jogged home! Turns out he had some serious heart issues and I guess he fought these the rest of his life. Sorry hes gone, reminds me that the most important part of the hobby is NOT the stuff but the people and the cool and fun stories that we all share. RIP Jay!
Old 02-28-2019, 10:41 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Jay

Just one card I remember buying from Jay around 2001 or so raw, then sent it to Rob Lifson where he had it slabbed and sold it in his auction. THANKS JAY!!! (and Rob also of course!) https://www.robertedwardauctions.com...hop-pcl-krapp/