NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 02-11-2018, 06:51 PM
Ryan Waggoner

Default Is 1/1 myth?

This is just for the new age of inserts. Is 1/1 a myth?

Should I just give up my hope of every owning a card that I see listed as 1/1, or is it all a myth and in actuality there could be more of that card out there in the ether? Or are there actually 1/1 cards being released by Topps?
Old 02-11-2018, 07:19 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightmanCometh View Post
This is just for the new age of inserts. Is 1/1 a myth?

Should I just give up my hope of every owning a card that I see listed as 1/1, or is it all a myth and in actuality there could be more of that card out there in the ether? Or are there actually 1/1 cards being released by Topps?
Yes there are real 1/1 cards out there and yes there are also 1/1 cards out there with more than 1 copy existing. At Topps recent high end event several people got 1/1 Topps cards only to find out others also got the exact same 1/1 card.LOL
Old 02-11-2018, 09:12 PM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Yes there are real 1/1 cards out there and yes there are also 1/1 cards out there with more than 1 copy existing. At Topps recent high end event several people got 1/1 Topps cards only to find out others also got the exact same 1/1 card.LOL
Thanks for the info. I had this crazy notion of collecting every card for a specific modern player. Yes, I know the idea of undertaking such a task is insane, but it crossed my mind, and then the idea of 1/1's popped up and I realized that such an undertaking for a collector taking on such a run would be nearly impossible if said player had a 1/1 card. Kills the potential of even undertaking such a run right in its tracks.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:35 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightmanCometh View Post
Thanks for the info. I had this crazy notion of collecting every card for a specific modern player. Yes, I know the idea of undertaking such a task is insane, but it crossed my mind, and then the idea of 1/1's popped up and I realized that such an undertaking for a collector taking on such a run would be nearly impossible if said player had a 1/1 card. Kills the potential of even undertaking such a run right in its tracks.
The card companies ruined that dream over 20 years ago. All those serial #ed cards is what made me stop collecting modern stuff as a player collector. Once in a while I will buy a few cards of my favorite player. Then I realize he has not played in close to 20 years and they are still making several hundred different cards of him every year.

I will say I really like the looks of some of the new shiny cards. My problem is my ODC kicks in and says if you can't have one of each there is no reason to even buy the ones you can find. I know that may sound weird but hay we are all collecting pictures of young athletic men in uniforms and paying silly $ for them.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I know that may sound weird but hay we are all collecting pictures of young athletic men in uniforms and paying silly $ for them.
We're all creepy old men!
Old 02-12-2018, 07:44 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

What's really bad are the sellers, and there are a lot of them, who claim their item is 1/1 when it's top number of the #/# that is unique. Like serial #14/200 being unigue because there is only one '14' in the limited printing of '200'.

Akin to the HR log cards of Mantle, etc.

By the way, the word 'unique' is a superlative and, therefore, needs no descriptor i.e. 'very unique'. UGH! Lesson Over!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 02-22-2018 at 05:16 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-12-2018, 08:13 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Back in the day when my town had a Baseball card store. There was a guy who collected Emit Smith cards. He had a few pages full of 1/1 cards. The internet and ebay opened up an avenue to collect these sorts of cards. There are many single player collectors who have a few hundred 1/1 cards of their favorite player. Whenever The Emit collector bought in his binder to the shop everybody in the place enjoyed looking at his collection. I have a stack of Gary Sanchez cards only one 1/1 but a stack of 1/10, 1/25 etc. Fun to put away for my grandson.