NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 10-18-2017, 08:35 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Default Big changes to MLB structure?

Just saw this article. Holy smokes. I know it's all up in the air, but my brain hurts just from thinking about it. Abolishing the two major leagues? Expansion? The Mets and Red Sox in the same division? Oy.
http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2017/10/17/...l-realignment/
Old 10-18-2017, 10:03 AM
Steve Birmingham

Montreal?
Nothing like expanding into a market where they considered just eliminating the team altogether.

And the realignment, and massive expansion of the playoffs.
I hardly ever watch Hockey or Basketball because half the league makes the playoffs. And the playoffs feel like they run as long as the season. (Just checked, and the NHL playoffs ran 2 months!)

Think about it, as it is the playoffs run too long.
In 1975 the series started on Oct 11, and stretched to Oct 22 with 7 games and a game delayed by rain.
This year it will start on the 24th and could run to Nov 1.

Will future generations hear about "Mr October" and assume he was good in the wild card games?

Steve B
Old 10-18-2017, 02:47 PM
Nick Barnes

It seems like the people in charge of baseball aren't fans of baseball.

I could see going back to 154 games, but the last thing baseball needs is MORE playoffs, if anything they need to go to a two division 3 team structure where having the best record gets you into the CS and the other two teams play to see who meets you. Baseball is too random a game and too prone to tiny variables to have half the damn league making the tournament.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:07 PM
Bill Avery

How would eliminating the leagues affect the major awards every year? Would we have only 1 MVP, 1 Cy Young, and 1 Rookie of the Year? Or would we get 4 of each from each of the 4 new divisions?

And I totally agree more playoff games is not a good thing. I think they should cut 2 games from the Division series and the Championship series and just get to the damn World Series.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:49 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
You're right. They're fans of money.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:51 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

This kind of sea change might just ruin baseball for me. I already half heartedly pay attention as it is.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:00 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I'm thinking - NEW COKE circa 1985?

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 10-19-2017, 11:32 AM

There's almost a zero percent chance some of this stuff would happen. If you combine both leagues into regional divisions, what happens to the DH? The player's union would never allow the DH to be taken away, so you'd have to make the DH universal. You'd also annoy a bunch of cities with multiple teams and I don't see how you'd get ownership to agree to something like regional divisions. For example, the Mets and Yankees would never play each other in the World Series and the Subway Series would lose all it's luster. That's bad for NY business.

Last edited by packs; 10-19-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:22 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
There's almost a zero percent chance some of this stuff would happen. If you combine both leagues into regional divisions, what happens to the DH? The player's union would never allow the DH to be taken away, so you'd have to make the DH universal. You'd also annoy a bunch of cities with multiple teams and I don't see how you'd get ownership to agree to something like regional divisions. For example, the Mets and Yankees would never play each other in the World Series and the Subway Series would lose all it's luster. That's bad for NY business.
I think many current NL owners, whether they'll admit it or not, wouldn't mind a universal DH. DH's hit HR's, which is, sadly, what sells these days....and I'd be reluctant to give the owners too much credit. If there is more money to be made AND it keeps the union happy, they're going to do it, regardless. I agree, though, that the NYC situation would be screwy. You can't really have two teams in the same city in the same division. In the end, even implementing half the changes outlined in that article would change the landscape of the game, let alone the whole enchilada.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:36 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
They aren't. And I fear we have leadership in the MLB similar to the leadership that runs the NFL.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame