NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-08-2023, 10:52 AM
Drew W@i$e

Default Questions About Reserves In Auctions

I couldn’t help but notice that in the recent REA Fall auction, at least 7 items did not meet their respective reserves and did not sell. This is higher than the last two REA major auctions (2 each).

I found this curious and have a few questions about reserves and reserves in the future.

1. Is there an easy way to see how many items in REA’s auction had a reserve? I know of at least 7 (because they didn’t sell) but I don’t know how many had one initially.
2. Are auction reserves set at the beginning of an auction or/can they be set later?
3. Do you expect to see more reserves on items auctioned off in 2024?
Old 12-08-2023, 12:29 PM

Reserves are usually not a good thing for auctions. Usually the seller is charged more for having a reserve. Many don't even bid on reserve auctions. Likely the consigner requested it. I don't think it is a growing trend.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2023, 05:21 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

1. My understanding is that REA has a "hidden reserve" system, so you don't know what the reserve is, or even if there is a reserve. You find out when the auction is over that there was a reserve, and therefore sadly your big win doesn't count.

2. Some AHs disclose them earlier. Some wait until later. I suppose it's theoretically possible to start without one, and then to have a seller demand one part way into the auction, but I suspect that would be unusual.

3. I sure hope not. I typically stay away from items with a reserve. Simply because it almost always ends up being a big fat waste of my time, because the reserve is rarely met. And it's not because the item isn't worth the reserve. But just having the reserve tends to dissuade bidders from even trying. It's almost like a self-fulfilling prophecy. "Nobody bids there anymore: there's a bloody reserve."

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 12-08-2023, 08:25 PM

In REA, I am pretty sure the fact of the reserve is disclosed upfront/immediately on day 1. The amount of the reserve is not shown, but you can call/email and they will tell you. Contrast with Heritage where you may not know there is a reserve until about 3 days before the auction ends and then the minimum bid will automatically jump to the reserve amount and it will say “reserve not met” with “**”.

I have won several items from REA that had reserves. Each time I knew it had a reserve and I asked, and was told, what it was. In all cases the reserve was met in its own.
Old 12-08-2023, 09:01 PM
Peter Spaeth

Then there is the de facto reserve, where unless the card hits a certain price the consignor or a proxy buys it back.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.