NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-06-2020, 12:04 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

“So, what is it? Are the people at PSA overseeing those graders who are churning out those high grades for those cards, and in the process perpetuating the economic viability of the card registry, really that stupid, or is it something else?”

Obviously it’s more “something else” than stupid. A good beginning would be to stop taking in cards from known trimmers and doctors.

Yet PSA’s list of “Recommended Dealers” still endorses Dennis Pevarnick and other known card doctors. If PSA really wanted to engage in cleaning things up, they would take a few obvious proactive steps.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showth...1355413&page=3
Old 05-15-2022, 06:32 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
“So, what is it? Are the people at PSA overseeing those graders who are churning out those high grades for those cards, and in the process perpetuating the economic viability of the card registry, really that stupid, or is it something else?”

Obviously it’s more “something else” than stupid. A good beginning would be to stop taking in cards from known trimmers and doctors.

Yet PSA’s list of “Recommended Dealers” still endorses Dennis Pevarnick and other known card doctors. If PSA really wanted to engage in cleaning things up, they would take a few obvious proactive steps.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showth...1355413&page=3
Pevarnick is still trimming, still grading through PSA, and still selling cards for thousands through major auction houses.
And now PSA is decertifying the cert numbers from the slabs the cards were originally in. Pretty galling for the "Never get cheated!" market leader.
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showth...1355413&page=4

Not a whole lot different with the new private ownership group, or Mr. Genamint. They have been assimilated by the Borg. (Not really a Trekkie; did I get that joke right?)
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-15-2022, 07:40 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

The sports collectibles industry is one that requires no education or licensure to participate, has no regulation, has no governing body to oversee even its largest sellers and dealers, has no real penalties for getting caught committing fraud, garners little to no interest from federal authorities or any other policing agency, and has customers who tend to look the other way even when outlandish criminal acts are committed.

Either accept it or take up another hobby because this one has always been full of shady people and probably always will. I hear woodworking is very rewarding.
Old 05-15-2022, 08:23 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
The sports collectibles industry is one that requires no education or licensure to participate, has no regulation, has no governing body to oversee even its largest sellers and dealers, has no real penalties for getting caught committing fraud, garners little to no interest from federal authorities or any other policing agency, and has customers who tend to look the other way even when outlandish criminal acts are committed.

Either accept it or take up another hobby because this one has always been full of shady people and probably always will. I hear woodworking is very rewarding.
Perfectly Said....that’s just it. No sugar coating needed.
Old 05-15-2022, 08:37 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Perfectly Said....that’s just it. No sugar coating needed.
I disagree somewhat, there certainly was (if indeed it's over and it may not be) a significant FBI investigation into the trimming scandal. It's not fair to say the government has "little to no interest." There was also a significant investigation of "Copperfield," the guy from Mexico allegedly selling cards in resealed or fake slabs.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-15-2022 at 08:40 AM.
Old 05-15-2022, 08:43 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Of course, and all auction houses are licensed. So to say the industry doesn't have any authorities or laws they're beholden to is completely wrong.

Caveat emptor, but if that PSA 9 used to a PSA 5 with pressed out crease, no problem I guess. Surely the additional $15K in sale value makes sense.
Old 05-15-2022, 12:49 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Of course, and all auction houses are licensed. So to say the industry doesn't have any authorities or laws they're beholden to is completely wrong.

Caveat emptor, but if that PSA 9 used to a PSA 5 with pressed out crease, no problem I guess. Surely the additional $15K in sale value makes sense.
Most sports auction houses operate in states with no licensing requirements.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-15-2022, 07:53 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Pevarnick is still trimming, still grading through PSA, and still selling cards for thousands through major auction houses.
And now PSA is decertifying the cert numbers from the slabs the cards were originally in. Pretty galling for the "Never get cheated!" market leader.

Not a whole lot different with the new private ownership group, or Mr. Genamint. They have been assimilated by the Borg. (Not really a Trekkie; did I get that joke right?)
Pete Townsend.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:11 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Pete Townsend.
"Say hello to the new boss, same as the old boss. We won't get fooled again."
Old 05-16-2022, 09:14 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
"Say hello to the new boss, same as the old boss. We won't get fooled again."
Close enough.
Who but Roger Daltrey could sing that? Not sure anyone else even tried to cover that song.

Old 05-16-2022, 09:46 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Close enough.
Who but Roger Daltrey could sing that? Not sure anyone else even tried to cover that song.
LaBelle- 1972
Van Halen - 1992 (Live, but released)
Axel Rudy Pell
Hayseed Dixie

A short and very varied list.

Also sort of quoted in a Terry Pratchett book.
"Nae king! Nae quin! Nae laird! Nae master! We willnae be fooled again!"

Also for added amusement

Some of the upland clans have mastered the concept of law as a weapon however, and note that it is a good idea "neever te sign a feegle contract; six inch high people write verra small print". Beware the cry, "We've got a cheap lawyer an' we're not afraid to use him!" Their swords glow blue in the presence of lawyers.

From
https://discworld.fandom.com/wiki/Nac_Mac_Feegle
Old 05-16-2022, 09:57 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
LaBelle- 1972
Van Halen - 1992 (Live, but released)
Axel Rudy Pell
Hayseed Dixie

A short and very varied list.

Also sort of quoted in a Terry Pratchett book.
"Nae king! Nae quin! Nae laird! Nae master! We willnae be fooled again!"

Also for added amusement

Some of the upland clans have mastered the concept of law as a weapon however, and note that it is a good idea "neever te sign a feegle contract; six inch high people write verra small print". Beware the cry, "We've got a cheap lawyer an' we're not afraid to use him!" Their swords glow blue in the presence of lawyers.

From
https://discworld.fandom.com/wiki/Nac_Mac_Feegle

Check out this site LOL.
https://secondhandsongs.com/work/5477/versions

A world of cynicism squeezed into one line, and it will probably always resonate.

Old 05-15-2022, 03:25 PM
Chase

Quote:
And now PSA is decertifying the cert numbers from the slabs the cards were originally in.
An prefect example of why it is so dangerous to believe everything one reads...especially on a hobby chat board. That statement is absolutely not accurate if you read this post https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...&postcount=244.
Old 05-15-2022, 04:04 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
An prefect example of why it is so dangerous to believe everything one reads...especially on a hobby chat board. That statement is absolutely not accurate if you read this post https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...&postcount=244.
OK. Seems more likely that the benevolent trimmer may have sent back in the flips to have them removed from the pop report. Good thing that's been solved.
Crux of the matter: Cards broken from slabs. Cards altered. Cards given number grades by PSA. Cards sold for thousands by Heritage. PSA knows the score. Both they and Heritage were informed of the cards while up for auction. Did any get pulled?
Old 05-15-2022, 04:27 PM
Chase

Quote:
OK. Seems more likely that the benevolent trimmer may have sent back in the flips to have them removed from the pop report. Good thing that's been solved.
Crux of the matter: Cards broken from slabs. Cards altered. Cards given number grades by PSA. Cards sold for thousands by Heritage. PSA knows the score. Both they and Heritage were informed of the cards while up for auction. Did any get pulled?
Don't disagree but it is a better look when one is accurate. The statement I highlighted was not factual. I did not dispute the rest of your post.
Old 05-15-2022, 04:51 PM
Johnny MaZilli

I am one of the only one’s who thinks the Pump&Dump Shill Bidding is way worse than the altering not being caught?

Don’t get me wrong I don’t like altering at all but to me the real ridiculousness was the stuff going on over at PWCC...maybe that’s a better way to get some justice. Wasn't there direct electronic email evidence of that guy who owns PWCC writing a guy/bidder to take the next bid on a card, you won’t be outbid ? Didn’t Mastro go to Jail over Shill Bidding and not Trimming ?

Last edited by Johnny630; 05-15-2022 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-15-2022, 04:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

Personally I would rather buy a natural card at a shilled price than an altered card at an unshilled price.