NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-07-2023, 09:15 AM
Bill Roberts

Default Slightly OT: D.B. Cooper currency sale / T206 Wagner partial?

Though I don't really collect currency, I like to follow any auction that has something unusual. I saw that Heritage last week sold the remnants of two bills that were part of the ransom paid to hijacker D.B. Cooper. These two fragments and the prices they brought reminded me of a sale years ago of a partial T206 Wagner. I think a lot of us can relate to owning even a piece of a Wagner. That being said, the prices these two partial bills sold for has me scratching my head.

https://currency.ha.com/itm/small-si...ription-071515

Old 05-07-2023, 11:20 AM
Doug Goodman

That's pretty cool though
Old 05-07-2023, 11:42 AM

What’s nuts is that I never before heard of Cooper or the hijacking until last night when there was some show about it (on history or travel or something like that), and how that kid found the stacks of money in the sand by the river. And now you post this thread. When it rains it pours

Definitely cool, but I am not sure how good a buy/collectible it is. But it sold for over $10k, so what do I know?!?!
Old 05-07-2023, 12:31 PM
Doug Goodman

DB was a f'n legend when I was a kid
Old 05-07-2023, 01:23 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

The movie 'Without a Paddle" with Matthew Lilliard, Dax Shepherd, Seth Green and Burt Reynolds is about three guys trying to find the D.B. Cooper ransom. It is an adventure/comedy where Burt Reynolds is alluded to be D.B. Cooper

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 05-07-2023, 02:29 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Some great movies and documentaries about DB Cooper and it is cool to have some of the bills from the hijacking’s but wow

Those pieces are so small and yet it went for more than I would have thought

What people pay to own different types of pieces of history

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 05-07-2023, 07:49 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

This one went for $475K in February of last year:

Wagner card sells for 475K in Feb 2022.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRoberts View Post
Though I don't really collect currency, I like to follow any auction that has something unusual. I saw that Heritage last week sold the remnants of two bills that were part of the ransom paid to hijacker D.B. Cooper. These two fragments and the prices they brought reminded me of a sale years ago of a partial T206 Wagner. I think a lot of us can relate to owning even a piece of a Wagner. That being said, the prices these two partial bills sold for has me scratching my head.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 05-07-2023, 08:08 PM
Ben North

Cheal Sonnen has been claiming for a few years now that DB Cooper was his Native American uncle.
Old 05-07-2023, 09:07 PM

He never referred to himself as DB Cooper, only as Dan Cooper, I believe. That was a mistake by a newspaper writer/reporter shortly after the incident happened and for whatever reason it stuck.
Old 05-07-2023, 10:52 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
DB was a f'n legend when I was a kid
Me too...growing up in the PNW he was a BIG deal...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 05-07-2023, 11:16 PM
Brian
Bri@n Abra.ham

I remember watching Unsolved Mysteries as a kid and seeing the episodes about the DB Cooper hijacking.
And then Netflix just had a great documentary about it and all the possible suspects.
Pretty cool to have a piece of that infamous (and unsolved!) hijacking, but that's a good amount of money for those small remnants.
Old 05-07-2023, 11:44 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

I know rick is cheap but 10k seems unreal for that fragment. In 1980 Along the Columbia River in Vancouver, a boy discovered $5,800 of damaged twenties from the cooper ransom. Sounds like fragments should be easily available, but I guess im underestimating the amount of currency collectors.

https://arktimes.com/news/arkansas-r...-b-cooper-cash

https://youtu.be/Zmr39RWVjzQ

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale

Last edited by Lucas00; 05-08-2023 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-08-2023, 02:06 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Some great movies and documentaries about DB Cooper and it is cool to have some of the bills from the hijacking’s but wow

Those pieces are so small and yet it went for more than I would have thought

What people pay to own different types of pieces of history
A few recent ones on Netflix worth a look.
Old 05-08-2023, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
What’s nuts is that I never before heard of Cooper or the hijacking until last night when there was some show about it (on history or travel or something like that), and how that kid found the stacks of money in the sand by the river. And now you post this thread. When it rains it pours

Definitely cool, but I am not sure how good a buy/collectible it is. But it sold for over $10k, so what do I know?!?!
I promise that no disrespect is meant, but how have you missed this legendary story over the past 52 years?! It's been all over the media for so long.

Now that you're familiar with it, you should check out these Beatles I've been hearing a little bit about. They've apparently written a couple of toe-tappers.
Old 05-08-2023, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post
I promise that no disrespect is meant, but how have you missed this legendary story over the past 52 years?! It's been all over the media for so long.

Now that you're familiar with it, you should check out these Beatles I've been hearing a little bit about. They've apparently written a couple of toe-tappers.
I was born in 1974 and was not watching media in my teens in the 80's. By the time I started paying attention to things other than girls, beer, sports, and friends, it was very late 90's and I never came across the story.

I did hear about the Air France hijacking in the 70's and I remember a bad/violent one in the mid 80's, but I guess I am very late to the game on Cooper.
Old 05-08-2023, 03:15 PM

I find it truly remarkable that this escaped your field of vision for so long! My comparison to the Beatles isn't so far off, either. In the world of unsolved crimes, perhaps only Jack the Ripper is more notorious and better known.

Well, I'm glad you managed to finally hear about it. It's been done to death, but if you're fresh to it and have interest, it can prove fascinating for a great amount of time.
Old 05-08-2023, 03:22 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

There are a billion specials, investigations, etc., that have covered the case forever. Some even claim the found money on the bank of the Columbia River was planted there, because tides and air currents and flight paths (and not enough proper water damage to the bills) in no way make it possible that the bundle came from Danny Boy that night.

The wildest thing is, every new History Channel show presents suspects who the producers are 'sure' is the perpetrator, but it's a very rare event when they simply show pictures or videotape to the surviving passengers/crew members who interacted with him and ask, "Hey, was this the guy who did it?"

And there's this...

638. D.B. Recouper
Anyone attempting in vain to resell a card for a profit that he paid much too much for to begin with, just not comprehending that his money’s simply lost in the wind and it ain’t coming back.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 05-08-2023, 04:14 PM
Al Richter

Surely someone could restore these 😬