NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-16-2007, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Default best baseball book on non popular players.

Posted By: sean

Am reading my arse off reading bios and was wanting lists of books on pre ww2 players that arent so popular. Heres what I have read:

Johnny Kling
Tinker,evers, chance
Mordecai brown
hughie jennings
hal chase
ray chapman/carl mays
John Mcgraw
Walter Johnson
Rube Waddell
Ed Delahanty
Moe Berg
Fred Lieb

Old 04-16-2007, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: RC

Just picked up a book on George Sisler called "The Sizzler", written by Rick Huhn. It was put out by the University of Missouri Press in 2004. Apparently the author was asked by Sisler's son to write the bio. He is definitely not unknown but the subtitle "Baseball's Forgotten Great" sets the tone that perhaps because he was mild mannered, etc... that he was overshadowed by other greats of his time.

I am about halfway through the book, it's not bad and might be another that you would enjoy reading.

RC

Old 04-16-2007, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Justin

Get the Deadball Stars of the National/American League books. They were put out by SABR recently and they are awesome. Tons of pictures and great bios.

Mike Sowell wrote a book about Ed Delahanty that I haven't read, and one called The Pitch That Killed which is about Chapman/Mays which is excellent.

Definitely get Glory of Their Times which is the best baseball book ever written.

Other than that I would suggest the team histories written by people like Warren Brown and Fred Lieb, which contain alot of anecdotes and info about alot of forgotten players.

Also check out Red Legs and Black Sox. It's a bio of Edd Roush which also tells the Black Sox scandal from the perspective of the Reds and the city of Cincinnatti.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Guys,

Maybe John McGraw wasn't very popular but Christy Mathewson was one of the most beloved pitchers of all time and couldn't possibly be on the list of non popular players.

Peter

Old 04-17-2007, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John H.

Peter, I'm thinking that he means players that aren't so well known.

John

Old 04-17-2007, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

One of the most entertaining books on individual players is a book on Rube called "Rube Waddell" The Zany, brilliant life of a strikeout artist". By Alan levy. Printed in 2000. So it should still be available. Very Funny, Sad, interesting, and all the rest. I highly recommend it. If anyone can't find it, I can get it.

Old 04-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: sean

thanks Justin! I ordered the Deadball greats books through my library. I also just got The fred Lieb team books and am VERY much looking forward to reading about these guys throuhg someone who actually knew them!

Old 04-18-2007, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John H.

There's a fairly new Tris Speaker book, by Timothy Gay, that I'm going to start in on very soon. Tris was a superstar (before there was such a term) but there hasn't been very much written about him over the years. Should be interesting.

John