NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-06-2017, 08:00 AM
Jason Greco

My aspirations, at least as a kid of about 8 with no financial sense, were far more modest. All I wanted was an '84 Topps Don Mattingly.
Hindu Brown: 1/34

****NY Highlanders Team Set****
Basic Team Set: 13/28
Master Team Set: 13/315
Old 12-06-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greco827 View Post
My aspirations, at least as a kid of about 8 with no financial sense, were far more modest. All I wanted was an '84 Topps Don Mattingly.
This post just reminded me about one card, although it's the exact opposite of a card I never thought I would get. When I was nine, I got a calendar with a picture of the Old Judge Buck Ewing & mascot card. At that time, I said I was going to get that card. Considering that I had been to many card shows and stores at that point and never saw an Old Judge card, it was quite a declaration on my part.

So it wasn't a card I thought I would never get, it just took about 17 years before I actually bought it. I'm sure if you told me when I was nine that it would cost me $400, I probably wouldn't have been so confident I'd get it one day.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 12-06-2017, 08:13 AM

I'm right there with you buddy:

Old 12-06-2017, 09:03 AM
Matt

Great topic. For me it was a centered 1952 Topps Mantle that was in my price range with a clean image. Once I began shopping for one, I just kept seeing tilt after tilt or OC after OC. Eventually I settled initially on one that was 60/40-ish with some tilt. And then a few years later my dream example finally came along.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:30 AM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Great topic. For me it was a centered 1952 Topps Mantle that was in my price range with a clean image. Once I began shopping for one, I just kept seeing tilt after tilt or OC after OC. Eventually I settled initially on one that was 60/40-ish with some tilt. And then a few years later my dream example finally came along.

Thanks for sharing - fantastic Mantle! Those Mantle rookies were the stuff of dreams for a lot of us - nice to see it becoming reality for some of us now!
Old 12-06-2017, 09:45 AM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

There are so many cards I thought I could never own, but then I find a way. If you look at my join date, that is my first day collecting. I started looking at the archives here, at all the amazing cards you guys have on the board. One of my first loves was the '41 Play Ball DiMaggio, I always thought it was out of my reach, but I finally found one going under the radar and got this one. Leon was the one that got me going with PCL cards, though not in your traditional way. He posted about some E100s he thought were suspicious on e-bay, and I hit the link, decided to take a chance on one, and won that. He also had I think four of the E222s, and I never thought that one of those would end up in my collection, yet a few years later, here I have two. Cobb has always been special to me, I read books about him as a kid, and we have the same birthday. This D304 is my favorite Cobb card, but prices always made it seem out of reach, but by lowering my expectations of having a pristine example, I was able to get a low grade beater. But the card I never in the world thought I would get was the Bishop. I can't tell you how many hours I spend looking at these, and finding this one of San Francisco blew my mind, and I still have a hard time believing it is in my collection. So I guess this palaverous post of mine is basically intended to encourage you to keep going and not let your dreams for a specific card ever stop. Keep going and one day, you will figure out a way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1910 Bishop & Co. P.C.L. San Francisco Team Card (E221).jpg (85.7 KB, 1017 views)
File Type: jpg E222 Shauhnessy003-tile.jpg (75.2 KB, 1017 views)

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 12-06-2017, 09:05 AM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by greco827 View Post
As a kid that was my answer, too. I never was able to get one. Always so expensive in NYC. The Donruss I just gave up on. I equally coveted the 83 Traded Strawberry and 84 Topps and Fleer Goodens. Never had them as a boy. Were the first cards I circled back for after college.

Last edited by MattyC; 12-06-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:15 AM

This is the other card I never thought I'd own:

Old 02-13-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
As a kid that was my answer, too. I never was able to get one. Always so expensive in NYC. The Donruss I just gave up on. I equally coveted the 83 Traded Strawberry and 84 Topps and Fleer Goodens. Never had them as a boy. Were the first cards I circled back for after college.
Haha, I was so lucky when I was 8. A family friend gave me two cards for my eighth birthday. A Brien Taylor Topps rookie, and the '84 Topps Mattingly. I absolutely cherished that thing. My grandfather helped me put together a little display box for it!

Then I was invited to the ring bearer for my aunt's wedding. She surprised me with the Donruss Mattingly as a thank you gift. My mind was blown. Apparently my mom remembered me gawking at it at the local shop (Card Mart, Verona, NJ, never forget) and relayed the word. Best wedding ever.

More recently it's two. Aaron and Clemente rookies.

Last edited by WillBBC; 02-13-2019 at 07:04 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:41 AM
Greg Z@y@tz

I was ALWAYS awed by this card from the first time that I ever saw one. Prices kept going up faster than I was willing to pay until I thought that I would NEVER own one that wasn't a beater...

THANKS ORLY!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T3 Cobb - resized.jpg (78.0 KB, 424 views)
Old 02-13-2019, 07:44 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

The color really pops Greg. Well Done! That's a beauty!
Old 02-13-2019, 08:17 AM
Jay Cee

Wow! All the cards above are very nice! Congrats to all. The Cobb Topping postcard has always eluded me for decades. Ive either been the under bidder or missed out on a private sale, when one hit the market. I finally was able to acquire it recently. The other card I love and never thought I would own, is the Cobbzilla Hubel Hotel postcard.

One more Cobb I would love to own is the W600 Sporting Life Cabinet which at this point, I should go buy a reprint of it, as it seems to be an impossible dream of mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9194.jpg (66.7 KB, 407 views)
Old 02-13-2019, 08:26 AM
Ethan

Default Cobb

Beautiful Jay Cee! You've got some great stuff.