NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-19-2006, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Default another Astoria Giants Postcard

Posted By: Joe D.

Thanks to a tip by Dan K - I picked up the 1999 book "Baseball Postcard Collection" by Ron Menchine.

In the book Ron Menchine spotlights the 1903 Giants Astoria Postcard by Falk -
calling it the earliest known postcard to show a major league team.

I didn't notice it right away -
but the book shows a postcard different than mine.

Apparently there is a 1905 version of the Astoria Postcard (even though the book calls it the 1903 Version).

Some of the differences you will notice....
--The banner on top was changed to 1905 (mine says 1903)
--an extra player was put in the top row middle (Davis, S.S.)
--an extra "Photo by Falk" was placed on the right bottom of the photo
--"Published by D Silberer" was put in by the name captions.
--The names in the caption are much clearer in the 1905 version (different type and color)
--The photo in the 1905 version is cropped right by the feet (with a hard line) and the caption names are just on the paper stock (whereas the names on the 1903 version are actually in the image area of the photo).

Here they are side by side....

Old 10-19-2006, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Looks like the postcards book needs to be updated. Yours is much nicer IMO. That guy they added in the 1905 version just looks "odd" to me.

Old 10-19-2006, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Masson

notorious contract jumper around that time. Played briefly for the Giants before taking the year off while the various teams he was under contract with fought it out. He returned in 1904 to Chicago in the peace settlement between the American and National Leagues.

Old 10-19-2006, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Odd that he would be added to this photo for a "1905" team photo since he hadn't played with them since 1903.

Old 10-20-2006, 12:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

The version with the extra player looks like a reprint and a poor one at best. The odd player stuck in, the odd choice, the cropping difference, the typed names, the other copyright....just fishy to me.

Joshua

Old 10-20-2006, 12:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: arcade

What a cool mystery to get to unravel here.

My only comment here is that the published postcard dated 1905 has a crisper image with far more details.
That's partly why the added player sticks out so bad. My guess is there's some other elements touched up as well, since we get all the details on the ferns, but barely any trace of fixtures in the hallways above them, which are noticeable on the 1903 version here. Maybe it was just touched up for the book, or wasn't taken from a postcard at all.

I wonder if the 1903 has aged, or if it's just a more contrasty printing.

Old 10-20-2006, 04:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Joe- yours is the original photo and the second one is a reshoot. The photographer placed the extra player on the top row and then reshot the image. He didn't even do a good job of it as Davis looks like a cardboard cut out just pasted to the background. Plus yours is a real photo and the reshoot is a printed one. Yours is better by a wide margin.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

I scanned the 1905 Astoria card out of the Postcard book that I mentioned (I don't have the actual postcard).

It may actually be nicer in person / but my scan is from a printed book which itself should be considered a 'reprint'.

I don't particularly like that they cut the photo by the feet... but they had to add a player's name / and wanted to add a credit for the publisher -- so its much easier to reset the whole block of type rather than trying to match the old type.

I have to say the extra player in the middle kind of looks aweful - very fake looking (pasted in).

Old 10-20-2006, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

that the "added" player looks frighteningly familiar....can't believe no one else caught it...but I would venture to say that it's one of guys from Guinness commercials ..."Brilliant!!"

honestly, though...very interesting differences between these two PCs...thanks for sharing

Jason L

Old 10-20-2006, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I'd hoped it was a serious study of postcards but it turned out to be nothing more than short bios of the card subjects with often incorrect information about the postcards. Not worth the purchase price IMHO.

Old 10-20-2006, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

I do not think it to be a reshoot. It is a cut and paste job, plain and simple. I do however agree with you that Joe's is a far superior example of the image.