NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-11-2018, 03:21 PM

Default Need General advice about selling T206 Set

I haven't been involved in the hobby for at least a year due to personal reasons but I have a General Question which I am sure you guys can help give me some advice.
I have a near T206 set minus only 13 cards which takes into account all of the rarities. I am short a few commons and Demmitt, Doyle, Magie, Plank and Wagner. I have 69% of my cards graded by SCG with an average grade of about 40 and the rest are ungraded. I have an UZIT graded 40 and all of the Cobbs and O'Hara.
I have floated the idea in my head of selling the set in the next few years and my questions are
Should I get all the cards graded to keep it uniform
Should I try to sell within the next year or wait several years
What avenue should I look to sell the cards
And approximate value of my set
I don't need to sell the set for financial reasons but I haven't had the time to enjoy the set and am just looking for advice.
I am really hoping the collecting bug gets me again and I don't end up selling.
Thanks
Chris N
Old 08-11-2018, 03:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

At that grade level I think it's relatively unlikely (but who really knows) the cards are going to be worth substantially more in a year or two or three, so if you're sure you want to sell I would do it when you're ready. Everyone is going to put in a plug for their favorite seller most likely, and there's no right answer; the real decision is whether you try to sell yourself or consign. I tend to think either way you will do better card by card but others may disagree. Some of the major AHs may not want to do card by card but there are certainly ebay sellers who will. Glad to make suggestions by PM.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-11-2018 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:14 PM
Greg

Sent you a PM

Roy Campanella
Zack Wheat
Pre-War
Jackie, Ruth, Cobb, Tickets, Type 1 Photos, Trout

http://plaschkethysweaterisargyle.blogspot.com

Roy Campanella PC
Zack Wheat PC
Random Vintage
T206s

Successful Net54 Transactions: 10
Old 08-12-2018, 12:36 AM
“the bambino”

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris6net View Post
Should I get all the cards graded to keep it uniform
I would get them all graded to maximize value. That’s just me though. If 30% of your set is ungraded, that means you will spend approximately $1,500-$2,000. It is my humble opinion that you will recoup that, especially on the big names (Johnson, Lajoie, Mathewson, etc.). If I were bidding on your set, I would bid much more aggressively if I knew they were authentic and unaltered.

Good luck and congrats on accomplishing such a massive feat as tackling The Monster”!
Old 08-12-2018, 08:37 AM

Interview and ultimately consign to an auction house. They will get the cards graded and you should be able to get them to throw that in as part of your agreeing to consign with them (that way you don’t pay). The AH will know how to best sell the set off to maximize price. They will likely sell many lots off as singles and then the balance may be grouped together in larger lots. I have never sold a T206 set- hell I have only consigned a single card once - but that’s my take.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Interview and ultimately consign to an auction house. They will get the cards graded and you should be able to get them to throw that in as part of your agreeing to consign with them (that way you don’t pay). The AH will know how to best sell the set off to maximize price. They will likely sell many lots off as singles and then the balance may be grouped together in larger lots. I have never sold a T206 set- hell I have only consigned a single card once - but that’s my take.
I think that makes a lot of sense. Might be quite the undertaking to sell them individually on eBay. But if you’re in no rush and have the time, you could slowly sell then off one by one. Good luck and I hope the hobby bug gets you again!
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.

Last edited by wazoo; 08-12-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:35 AM

I am going to disagree with everyone here and tell you not to sell. Stick it in the closet and wait a few years. You don't need the money. PWCC just sold your Green Cobb for 9700. 5 years ago that card was less than 2k. The other Cobbs are doing nothing but go up. Same with WaJo, Matty, Cy Young, OHara St.L. and the Uzit. If you get the collecting bug again, you will be sorry you sold. You don't want to have to buy these cards back at higher prices. One day if you need the money, then sell it. Or several years down the road, if you don't think you will ever collect again, sell it. But I think that you just don't have time and some where down the road you will. You can pick it up again and buy the 9 commons you need and you will have a really nice 519 card t206 set.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:36 AM
Howard Chasser

Default every one has an opinion

and that's what you asked for so.....

From your post it sounds like you really are ambivalent - as long as you are - I would put them away somewhere till you have greater clarity. Should that clarity lead to selling - I would be sure to grade the HOFers, rare backs and any if there are that are possible condition rarities. Anything currently ungraded that doesn't fall into that category, is probably not worth grading. Auctions houses are one and done - they do the work and take their commission (you should easily be able to negotiate no commission on your end - just the buyers premium on the other side. Depending on the value of your time and how much of it you are willing to spend - you could likely do a bit better through BST here and ebay. Most importantly - when in doubt - wait till you have clarity - you would hate to have that sick feeling of having sold something that you decide you really didn't want to after the fact.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:51 AM

Oh, I totally agree- if you don’t have to/want to sell, don’t. Keep the set. It will only go up in value. My response assumes that you were a seller.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:56 AM
Paul

Sell individually and groups on Net54. You’ll get great prices and not pay any fees except shipping. That’s what I did when I about 400 to sell a year or two ago.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 08-12-2018, 11:00 AM

Thanks for the responses. What I have always liked about this Group is the passion about collecting. I am at least a year away from making a decision but really appreciate the advice I have already received.
Any advice from you guys I consider good advice.
Thanks Again
Chris N
Old 08-12-2018, 11:53 AM

Default We hope you already know :

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris6net View Post
Thanks for the responses. What I have always liked about this Group is the passion about collecting. I am at least a year away from making a decision but really appreciate the advice I have already received.
Any advice from you guys I consider good advice.
Thanks Again
Chris N

.... And now the wet blanket Debbie Downer stuff....You might want to consider
speaking to your tax guy before selecting a time for dispersal of 400 T-206's.....selling them all in one year will more than likely put you into a hefty tax bracket , but if the sales are spread out over , for instance , from December of 2018 to Jan 2020 then your profits ( safe to assume profits?? ) can be spread out in your financial favor......just a thought...

Old 08-12-2018, 12:37 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post
.... And now the wet blanket Debbie Downer stuff....You might want to consider
speaking to your tax guy before selecting a time for dispersal of 400 T-206's.....selling them all in one year will more than likely put you into a hefty tax bracket , but if the sales are spread out over , for instance , from December of 2018 to Jan 2020 then your profits ( safe to assume profits?? ) can be spread out in your financial favor......just a thought...

I can't speak to this as I'm not a financial/tax guru. However, I was going to suggest looking at piecing it out - selling the commons first, and saving the big stuff for last - and if the above is true, then this would definitely be the way to go.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 08-14-2018, 03:04 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That is always an option but could an AH get more eyes on an item and therefore more money for the same items? Depending on how valuable one's time is, and all that entails selling, along with added eyeballs, going the AH consignment route isn't a bad one for a lot of collectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
I can't speak to this as I'm not a financial/tax guru. However, I was going to suggest looking at piecing it out - selling the commons first, and saving the big stuff for last - and if the above is true, then this would definitely be the way to go.

Last edited by Leon; 08-14-2018 at 03:05 PM.