NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-25-2008, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Default How does PSA's grading buy-back guarantee work?

Posted By: TODD EVANS

I could be wrong but doesn't PSA have a buy-back guarantee if a card is determined fake,altered or overgraded after it has been slabbed in a PSA holder? If this is correct how do they make good on that guarantee? Do they use the price in the SMR?

Old 04-25-2008, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Matt Sears had a situation with a counterfeit National Game Joe Jackson a few months ago - perhaps he can chime in with how PSA resolved it.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony N.

If (and this is the tough part) they agree it is incorrect they will work something out with you. In my case it was a choice of what I paid for the card or considerably more in free grading.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:01 AM
Administrator

The problem I have is the card I have is a PSA 8 and SMR has it at $3,250. The card has the old style flip and the card is out of focus. In my opinion this card if it was submitted today it would come back with a out of focus qualifier. Is this something they would correct or guarantee?

Old 04-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

Todd, that card isn't fake or altered. I think you are just arguing the opinion of the grade? I would be shocked if they do anything about that and they probably shouldn't have to. Sorry just my opinion, Dan.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Dan, thanks for the reply. I was just wondering because I read on PSA's message board that someone has submitted some slabbed PSA cards for review for their new half point system and one card was "bought back" as being overgraded. I think the submitter was given the cards value in free grades. I don't even think he had the option of keeping the card in it's original slab as PSA had already reslabbed it with a lower grade. I thought it was interesting since cards submitted for review can't be downgraded but they took his and gave him grading voucherss for the difference of the original grade and the new lower grade.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Red

PSA and SGC will not "buy back" a card just because you think the card is not graded correctly. A card doesn't have to be perfectly focused or registered to grade an 8. They will take a look at the card and go from there. If they don't like it they'll take care of you. If they feel the problem is acceptable for the grade then they won't.

Just wondering why did you buy the card in the first place if you didn't like the focus? If you got it and didn't like the focus why didn't you just return it to the seller? If you bought it at auction you have to figure everyone else saw the same card and bid accordingly.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Dale

A person I know has a nice PSA 10 Joe Montana rookie card. The front looks awesome, easily a PSA 10, and the back is 90/10 in my book off center. They took it to PSA at a show and they defended the grade and would not even consider paying the SMR or anything else for the card. I've seen two Montana rookies like this so obviously they've built that into their PSA 10 grade for that card. I realize thats not vintage stuff but its appears to me they have an "answer" for everything.

My big question is that PSA 6 BL460 on the REA auction...if its in deed trimmed as many here feel it is and they even mention in the auction description how does one get PSA to pony up?

Old 04-25-2008, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt R

[q] I was just wondering because I read on PSA's message board that someone has submitted some slabbed PSA cards for review for their new half point system and one card was "bought back" as being overgraded. I think the submitter was given the cards value in free grades. I don't even think he had the option of keeping the card in it's original slab as PSA had already reslabbed it with a lower grade. I thought it was interesting since cards submitted for review can't be downgraded but they took his and gave him grading voucherss for the difference of the original grade and the new lower grade.[/q]

How can they just crack your card out and put it in a slab with a lower grade without approval from the owner? I was a PSA member for 2 years. I have one outstanding order with them and then I'm finished with them. If I want a card in a PSA slab from now on, I'll buy it already slabbed.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kyle

I don't mean to come to the defense of PSA, I'm a customer of all graders: PSA, SGC, I even use BVG/BGS about once a year.

There's a lot of people out there who have absolutely no patience with the graders. But in the end, specials don't have guaranteed turnaround times, but typically in the end you paying less and it may take a little longer ($12 for approx 10 day - takes 12 days) or you pay less and its a shorter waiting period ($12 for 12 days when you could pay $15 for 10 days, or how about the 5 day $15 specials I've seen). Its a special, they're in demand, they generate incoming submissions, a lot of people wait for them, stock up collections and wait just for the specials.

Also, I've read countless posts on the other forum where members admit they don't follow the rules PSA strictly requests: order and line labels on each card's cardsaver, labels on the package indicating the service level when you mail them in, etc. If you send in a card for their 2 day service, and don't mark it, the box is going to end up with the others that are unmarked. It's a fairly simple process.

I'm happy with PSA and SGC. I've been frustrated with PSA and SGC. We know PSA makes mistakes, we know SGC makes mistakes. But if you communicate the problem efficiently, correctly and refrain from hostility towards the customer service reps - who have no input in the grades you get period, everything will work out. And since no one else out there does a better job between the two, and we all know that anything pre-war graded by other companies isn't going to cut it in the market, there are no alternatives.

Time for a beer.