NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-10-2011, 09:20 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Default 1869 Cincinnati CdVs

Where are they all coming from? For a supposedly rare card we have three different ones up for auction, all ending within a one month period--one in Goodwin, one in Heritage, and one in REA.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:00 AM
Barry Sloate

REA actually has a Peck and Snyder along with a CdV, making it a total of four. And that CdV is a new format I haven't seen before. It appears that the Red Stockings were such a phenomenon in their day that any number of businesses capitalized on that popularity. Wonder how many total images of all kinds still survive?
Old 04-11-2011, 06:29 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Hi Barry! Glad you are feeling better.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default seems like.....

First of all glad to see you posting again Barry. I hope you get to feeling better too.

The Peck and Snyders have certainly started coming out of the woodwork recently. Categorizing them as the smaller or larger ones, I wonder how many are really in existence? It has to be more than the "20" number, even for just the larger ones, that we have commonly seen purported. I also wonder if that decreases their value, or if the demand is still there to keep them at current levels? It seems like the larger ones, with the Peck and Sndyer guy on back, have been going in the 40k-50k range lately. It will be interesting to see where these ones being auctioned now will end up. Will the smaller ones overtake the larger ones in value?
Old 04-11-2011, 07:04 AM
Barry Sloate

Thanks Jay and Leon. Looks like I'm pretty much back to normal, after what was probably the most harrowing week of my life.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:15 AM
GaryPassamonte

SGC has graded 2 Red Stocking CdVs and 10 P&S Red Stocking trade cards. In Goodwin's description, he states there are 22 graded total. REA says there are 3 CdVs graded by PSA. If these figures are accurate there would be a total graded population of 17 P&S Red Stocking trade cards and 5 CdVs, which may or may not be P&S. How many are ungraded we can only guess, but the CDV version is more than 3 times rarer with the given data and 3 of the 5 graded CDVs are currently at auction.
Barry- I don't know what was up, but I hope all is well.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:36 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte View Post
SGC has graded 2 Red Stocking CdVs and 10 P&S Red Stocking trade cards. In Goodwin's description, he states there are 22 graded total. REA says there are 3 CdVs graded by PSA. If these figures are accurate there would be a total graded population of 17 P&S Red Stocking trade cards and 5 CdVs, which may or may not be P&S. How many are ungraded we can only guess, but the CDV version is more than 3 times rarer with the given data and 3 of the 5 graded CDVs are currently at auction.
Barry- I don't know what was up, but I hope all is well.
Is there any way to find out how many of the graded P&S trade cards are trimmed?
Old 04-11-2011, 08:47 AM
Barry Sloate

Hi Gary- I contracted E Coli bacteria in my urinary tract and blood. When I got to the emergency room my temperature was 105.4 and my heart rate was 177, either or both of which could have killed me had I not been otherwise healthy. My whole system shut down. I was five days in the hospital getting IV antibiotics, hooked up to a catheter, etc. It was a descent into hell. But I am doing much better now and the infection is out of my system.

Moral of the story: nothing is more important than your health.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:56 AM

Thank goodness you're better, Barry, and glad to see you posting.

Mark
Old 04-11-2011, 09:03 AM
GaryPassamonte

Barry- That sounds like quite an ordeal. Thankfully, you're doing better. Yes, your health is No. 1.
Corey- Of the 10 SGC has graded, 8 received a numerical grade and are untrimmed. I don't know about PSA's breakdown. I was a little surprised as many as 8 received a numerical grade.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:06 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte View Post
Barry- That sounds like quite an ordeal. Thankfully, you're doing better. Yes, your health is No. 1.
Corey- Of the 10 SGC has graded, 8 received a numerical grade and are untrimmed. I don't know about PSA's breakdown. I was a little surprised as many as 8 received a numerical grade.
My understanding is that PSA only grades the trade cards (larger ones) as Authentic. I guess they don't know them well enough to give numerical grades? I believe a board member bought a PSA graded one, that was AUT, not too long ago and crossed it to a 40-50 with SGC. regards
Old 04-11-2011, 09:24 AM
Barry Sloate

Thanks guys for the well wishes.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:27 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I would be willing to bet a lot that there are a lot more than 10 CdVs. The CdVs were always considered the ugly step sister to the trade card and I would guess that the majority of these residing in collections are not graded.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:15 AM

Barry,
Wow! That is really scary. I am very happy to hear that you are alright!
JimB
Old 04-11-2011, 10:52 AM

Barry,

My mom just went through the EXACT same thing (she is 75), and after taking several different antibiotics from various doctors she finally bested it. While she never got to the point of being hospitalized, she ran a fever for several weeks (100 - 102) and we were all significantly concerened. Glad to hear you have overcome your illness!

Sincerely,
Joe T.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Bruce Babcock

Wow, Barry, glad that you're OK.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:14 PM
Richard Cline

Hey Barry - Glad to hear that you came through that ordeal on the positive side. You're absolutely correct, your health is #1.
RC
Old 04-13-2011, 07:02 AM
Joe

Default Barry

Glad to hear you are feeling better. Must have been a scary ordeal to go through. Here's to good health from now on. Joe
Old 04-13-2011, 08:23 AM
Barry Sloate

Thanks again guys. I really do appreciate everyone's kind words.