NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-09-2002, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Default Sorry Dan-O!

Posted By: Brueso

I told you that you weren't the only one after Mathewson cards! (I outsniped you at the end of the just concluded E92 "Matthewson" card). It's edges obviously have the bejesus banged out of them (hence the PSA 1 grade!), but I thought the image itself is nicely intact!

Old 08-09-2002, 11:01 PM
Administrator

Default Sorry Dan-O!

Posted By: B C Daniels

don't sweat it. I have all four of the Matty horizontal E-92's in way higher grade! When you are ready with the green....call me! I know that's it's late but just call me! Call me I have the carrrrddds!!!

( wife has another jr. in the oven so I may be willing to unload a few goodies )

Old 08-09-2002, 11:36 PM
Administrator

Default Sorry Dan-O!

Posted By: Bruce Moreland

How do you guys price such things? There is no SMR for that, it's not in Beckett, and everything else has to be completely random.

bruce

Old 08-09-2002, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Default Sorry Dan-O!

The "How much am I willing to spend for this" price guide- unique to every bidder. I'm not involved in this hobby for any other reason then to get the cards that look good to me (I've got esthetic, not financial, goals). Sometimes I get things for much better than "book value", sometimes worse. I tend to regard E-bay as a better general record of what things are actually worth. If something is in Beckett for much cheaper or more expensive than it's actually selling for "in the market", Beckett ain't helping much. Generally by the time I buy a card, I've probably seen 4 or 5 other auctions for the same thing so I have a general number in my head what I'm willing to pay. This Matty card ended at about the most I wanted to pay given its condition, but my snipe bid was a decent amount higher then the final "just in case".

Old 08-09-2002, 11:57 PM
Administrator

Default Sorry Dan-O!

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

personally, I do nott use any guide because the guide compilers do not make the market in this stuff the collectors who deal in these types of cards only know how many,who wants them,how much they sold for the previous ten times ET.....I have purchased and traded and sold a bunch of cards like this and have a pretty good idea of how much the advanced collector who has been looking for these things will pay.....but when I am in doubt..I ask Mike Williams.advanced SUPER DUPER E-card KING of the East Coast!!!!

Old 08-10-2002, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Default Sorry Dan-O!

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

I wondered who that was. Crap! Heh heh... yeah, ya win some and ya lose some. I was really bummed about that one. Even though it grades ONE, I liked the way it presented and the back of the card looks really clean. I didn't have a Croft's (candy or cocoa) yet, and that's what I was hunting for...to fill that void.

Oh well...(sigh) another one will come along someday, hopefully I'll get the next one.

Old 08-10-2002, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Default Sorry Dan-O!

at all, so I really made sure I went after this one. I actually would've preferred a Dockman back (not too fond of how the Crofts candy backs look though I like the Crofts cocoa), but went for this one anyway. I'll be out of the hunt for them for awhile, so no competition from me!

Funny thing is I wondered how many saw the auction because it was entered under the misspelled name- saw Tbob in there- thought to myself "Hey, maybe I'm sneaking one past the goalie". But then when the auction was over- "card cop" had also been on the job!

This was definitely a "bid high and hope one is remotely crazy enough to be thinking the same" bid for me, so where it ended up was about what I was hoping it would be, but definitely cheaper than I was prepared to pay.

Old 08-10-2002, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Default Sorry Dan-O!

Posted By: jay behrens

misspellings, that's how build my HR Pufnstuf colelction. Ididn't just look for the proper spelling, but just about any other spelling I could come up that seemed to make sense. Got a lot items really cheap that way, like a very rare vinyl hand puppet for a $1

Jay

Old 08-10-2002, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Default Sorry Dan-O!

Posted By: Mike Williams

as "SUPER DUPER"....I usually run the other way

Old 08-10-2002, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Default Sorry Dan-O!

Cool. I have a 1909 Dockman. The front of it presents very well, with a couple small creases which are visible when you move it around, but no color-loss due to the creases. Some minor corner wear. It is a PSA-1, tho, too, because it was removed from a glue-in album and there's 20-25% paper loss on the back (whimper). All you can see at the bottom is MAN & SONS. <laugh> At least the color and overall condition of the front is nice.

Old 08-10-2002, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Default Sorry Dan-O!

Posted By: TBob

The seller sent me large scans of the front and back and for the life of me I have no clue why it was graded a "1". Decent card.

Old 08-11-2002, 02:38 AM
Administrator

Default Sorry Dan-O!

I got those, too. That's why (even tho it graded a 1) I still popped in a $150 bid. (and still lost!)

<whine!>

Old 08-11-2002, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Default Sorry Dan-O!

Posted By: Bruce Moreland

It sounds like the answer to my question is that this stuff is so infrequent that there is no way to price it.

bruce