NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-01-2017, 02:42 PM

Default Why not more love for Caramelo Deportivo

As someone who has almosted completed this set I will admit this may be a bit of a self serving post. But I think it is a valid question- why so little interest in this set. While not great beauties they are not bad when you consider contemporary issues like 1948 Bowan or even 1941 Play Ball. While not a ton of names familiar to casual fans set has three HOFERS ( Dihgo, Raymond Brown, and Ray Dandridge) and a bunch of popular players ( Maglie, Minoso, Luque) and a bunch of negro leaguers. Further they are fairly rare. While I know that it isn't a complete judge of total population it is worth noting that psa has graded 18000 1948 Bowmans and 600 1945-46 Caramelos. Would love to hear your thoughts and see your cards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2458.jpg (73.2 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2459.jpg (76.8 KB, 343 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2460.jpg (72.6 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2461.jpg (73.8 KB, 347 views)
Old 07-01-2017, 03:06 PM
Marty H.

All I have are these two Canadian greats. Roland Gladu & J.P. Roy

gladuroy.jpg
Old 07-01-2017, 03:24 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Here are my thoughts:
1) Cuban issue that's hard to get in the U.S. or even complete transactions for online due to the Cuban embargo. PayPal has freaked out in the past over vintage Cuban cards and locked people's accounts for months.
2) Cards are generally in poor condition, and were made by a company nobody really has a connection too. At least in the case of Topps Venezuelans, they're cards similar to the U.S. Topps issues that collectors grew up with. And they're kind of boring (black and white, drab pictures).
3) To me, their rarity works against them. People don't think the set is achievable, so people don't try to complete the sets because it's too difficult.
4) Not players they're familiar with.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 07-01-2017, 04:29 PM

"Here are my thoughts:
1) Cuban issue that's hard to get in the U.S. or even complete transactions for online due to the Cuban embargo. PayPal has freaked out in the past over vintage Cuban cards and locked people's accounts for months.
2) Cards are generally in poor condition, and were made by a company nobody really has a connection too. At least in the case of Topps Venezuelans, they're cards similar to the U.S. Topps issues that collectors grew up with. And they're kind of boring (black and white, drab pictures).
3) To me, their rarity works against them. People don't think the set is achievable, so people don't try to complete the sets because it's too difficult.
4) Not players they're familiar with."
Old 07-01-2017, 04:46 PM

I guess I am surprised by the players not familiar comments
Again the causal fan wouldn't know many but since when are baseball collectors
Average fans. There are a lot of historically important players on this set
Armando marsans, Adolfo Luque, Miguel Gonzales, Jose Fernandez, Silvio Garcia
Cocania Garcia, Luis Tiant and Pedro Formental and that doesn't even name the hofers or Minoso. These aren't the nameless minor leaguers from the concertina set that everyone raves about
Old 07-01-2017, 05:05 PM
Ricardo

Default 1945-46 Caramelos

maybe because the nap reyes sp.
U cant find one under a couple thousand.
I collect Cuban cards but never found them the most attractive!
Also you can probably get a better deal buying the whole set vs single cards
from personal experience its fun to build the set but cheaper to buy the whole thing made.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:21 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I have a couple as a type set and that's enough for me. I have a Minoso once and probably wish I would have kept it, but not so much that I'll go out looking for another one.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:35 PM
Joshua Van Pelt

I like this set but haven't really focused on it lately. I have 31 PSA graded and that is the 2nd finest, which shows you have little interest there is in this set.

It probably has something to do with limited availability since it's similar to the Venezuela Topps sets I collect. I think they are fun but maybe not for someone who prefers the traditional avenues for set building.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2017, 08:39 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

When/if Minoso ever gets elected to the Hall that should boost the popularity of the set a bit. But most of the people here who collect more obscure sets are focused on pre-war. And most of people who collect 1940s sets are interested mainly in Play Ball, Bowman, and Leaf. Personally I prefer the Cuban sets as the American ones are just a bit too common to be interesting, but I don't expect that to become a widespread preference any time soon.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:04 AM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

My one and only
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carmelo 001.jpg (58.3 KB, 200 views)

Last edited by rgpete; 07-02-2017 at 06:19 AM.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:28 AM
Scott S

I was the underbidder on the near set which sold via Heritage the other night. I thought it was a very reasonable price (95 cards sold for $2,640 all-in, so under $30 per card with many stars).

I had to use my available money on another item so I couldn't bid higher at this time, but I do think the buyer got a decent deal on this lot which will be tough to replicate!
Old 07-02-2017, 08:48 AM

Scott

The heritage lot actually is what got me thinking about this issue
I actually thought that was a very strong price considering no Brown
Or Dihigo. I wondered if this was a sign of stronger prices or an outlier
Old 07-02-2017, 09:40 AM
Larry P.

My only 3:

http://www.net54baseball.com/attachm...1&d=1499009980
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Caramelos.jpg (78.1 KB, 162 views)
Old 07-02-2017, 09:55 AM
Scott

Well, those are THE three to have as they are the only three HOFers. I never knew there was a Dihigo in that high of a grade....
Old 07-02-2017, 09:59 AM
Scott

Aesthetically speaking, though, no 1940s or 1950s sets can hold a candle to the 1920s Cuban sets. Same thing goes for player selection. But they are also a lot more affordable than the Billikens, Aguilitas, Tomas Gutierrez, Nacionales.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:40 PM
Danny Smith

I love this set. Only need about 20 or so more commons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3) Crawford
4) Magee
5) O'Hara

N172 Want List
1) Phenomenal Smith (all poses and variations)
Old 07-05-2017, 06:52 AM
Scott

What's also great about this set is that it provides the best look into baseball at the brink of the Integration era. That alone makes it historically important.

Too bad there wasn't a Jackie Robinson pre-rookie in it (or Paige, Gibson for that matter...)
Old 07-05-2017, 07:17 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

While historically important, aesthetically they aren't much to look at. But that of course is one person's opinion.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 07-05-2017 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:40 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

They're made of paper and are pretty blah looking.

BTW, there is another HOFer in the set:

Born Carlos Conde in 1908, Conde began his career in sports as an announcer for Cuban radio in 1929 and developed a strong following at CMQ radio in Havana. He also wrote sports news stories for a variety of Cuban daily papers including Diario Nacional, El Crisol and Diaro de la Marina.

He soon ventured into boxing promotions and operated shows at the Palacio de Deportes and Ciudad Deportiva. Conde's involvement in the sweet science expanded and he soon managed a stable of top boxers. After relocating to Miami following Castro's rise to power, he famously guided the careers of Cuban born, Mexico-based Hall of Fame champions Ultiminio (Sugar) Ramos (featherweight) and Jose (Mantequilla) Napoles (welterweight).

In the mid-1970s, Conde returned to broadcasting and worked as a sportscaster at the Spanish language WFAB and also wrote a newspaper column titled Sports Cocktail.

He died at age 72 in October 1980.

He was elected to the International Boxing Hall Of Fame in 2007; the above is from his IBHOF bio.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...