NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-13-2022, 10:25 AM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Default First-timer at National - advice, must do, don't miss?

I'll be attending the National for the first time and would love some advice from experienced attendees... I'm sure this topic has been done elsewhere but it looks like other threads cover some more narrow topics.

I've heard so far:

- If you see it and love it, buy it... good chance it won't be there when you return

- Not really the place to go bargain hunting... amazing inventory but with prices to match

- Cash is king... likely to get a better deal if I buy in cash

Are there any speaker forums to attend? Do any of the larger dealers or vendors do dinners out with speakers (like business trade shows)?

I see a vendor list and floor plan listed on the NSCC site but there really isn't much (that I could find) to illustrate what that dealer specializes in (vintage, pre-war, memorabilia, unopened, etc)

Any other tips or advice? if any other first-timers want to grab a beer and compare stories from their first-time experience, I'm happy to semi-organize a first-timers Net54 crew. I'm planning to attend Wednesday and Thursday...

Thanks for all advice and tips -

See you in AC!

Jeff Gross
Old 07-13-2022, 10:57 AM
Bob
Bob Comm.entucci

Have fun Jeff. I'm trying to decide if I'll be there Wed (hours 4-8P) or all day Thursday.

You bring up a good point, (which NSCC should do in the future to help attendees): It's one thing to show the list of vendors & where they are located, but how about what they specialize in? If I saw that list, I could go right to the vendors who I want to do business with, instead of wasting time going table to table to find what I need. Would be a huge time saver.

Last edited by Bobbycee; 07-13-2022 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-13-2022, 11:23 AM
A.J. Johnson

Getting excited! I love to be around all the fellow collectors and amazing cards. The energy in the room is something to see. I've never been to a trading meet up (where a bunch of collectors get together in a big room at a nearby hotel to trade) but plan to seek one out this year. For a newbie, I would try and schedule some after show experiences like dinners or drinks with hobby buddies which will make the trip more memorable.

Come say hello, I'll be set up selling some stuff at booth 425!
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 07-13-2022, 11:24 AM

Bring water and a snack with you, the food is terrible and drinks cost a lot at The National.

Double up on the deodorant, the rest of us thank you in advance...

Wear comfortable shoes/sneakers, buy some old man skechers with the cushiony bottom.

Deodorant, can't stress this enough!!!
Old 07-13-2022, 11:32 AM
Drew W@i$e

Enjoy and have fun are the first things. Try to meet up with other collectors if you can.
Old 07-13-2022, 01:48 PM
And.rew Fin.kel.man

Bring cash
Wear comfortable shoes
If you want to remember where something is, write the booth number down. You may think you will remember, but you probably won't...
Have fun!
Old 07-13-2022, 03:41 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

If you would like to learn something, really anything, about 19th century cards stop by Richard Masson’s table (he will be set up with Scott Brockelman) and he can explain everything to you. He will undoubtedly also have a nice selection of these cards, probably the best at the show. He can also set you up with an Old Judge book.
Old 07-13-2022, 04:00 PM

Bring lots of money.
Old 07-13-2022, 06:33 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
If you would like to learn something, really anything, about 19th century cards stop by Richard Masson’s table (he will be set up with Scott Brockelman) and he can explain everything to you. He will undoubtedly also have a nice selection of these cards, probably the best at the show. He can also set you up with an Old Judge book.
Love it… will do, thx. Maybe I’ll come home with my first OJ card!🤞
Old 07-13-2022, 06:35 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Does anyone know of any dealers who might any E254 (Colgate Chip) HOF cards available in raw/non graded form?

Jeff
Old 07-13-2022, 06:51 PM
Jeff H

1) Bring lots of cash
2) Wear comfortable shoes
3) Bring something to comfortably carry your purchases
4) You need at least two days at the show
5) Bring lots of cash!

I go with a list of what I'm looking for to complete a set, etc. After I've either completed what I'm looking for or can't find at a price I want to pay, i go back to tables that have cards that I just think I have to have and try to make a deal.
Old 07-14-2022, 12:11 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Don't miss the must dos
Old 07-16-2022, 08:30 AM
Jack Richards

Do NOT spend all of your money on the first cool thing you see
!
Old 07-16-2022, 09:07 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Take a note pad (old school or digital). Note the location of the booth when you see something that you may be interested in later or if, for example, you are filling out a set and someone has a selection of commons in the grade you are looking for. You want to walk the show and get the freebies first before you settle in to complete your mid-grade 1973s. But you want to know where they are when you get time. It's a big place. If you don't note the location / booth number you are likely not to be able to find it later.
Old 07-16-2022, 10:33 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackR View Post
Do NOT spend all of your money on the first cool thing you see
!
Yeah...I think I'll struggle with this.
Old 07-16-2022, 10:51 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Yeah...I think I'll struggle with this.
Dont worry, thats why the wife is coming with you
Old 07-16-2022, 02:00 PM

1) Print a map of the floorplan, take a picture of the card that interests you. Type notes in your phone with table number and negotiated price. Once you walk the show go back to your favorites and pull out your wallet.

2) Bring a fully charged back up battery charger for your phone to recharge as you won't have access to an outlet. Also everyone is on their phone at the same time so your phone is constantly seeking out a signal and it'll die faster than normal. Makes sure it's fully charged before you arrive.

3) Don't bring a rolling suitcase of cards to sell or trade please, don't be that guy everyone has to walk around or try not to trip over. You look ridiculous and it's just not considerate of others. Bring those suitcases to trade night.

4) Walk the floor quickly if your looking for something particular. Go in with clear intention of what you're seeking. If your not focused you will constantly be distracted and waste time. If you're looking for graded vintage you can skip 60-70% of the tables easily.

5) I have a small european traveler backpack with zippers facing your back so no exposed zippers can be opened, everything is nice and secure. Have a storage container for your cards, penny sleeves, top loaders, whatever you need. Also, snacks and drinks are critical. Don't waste time and money on concessions, your there for the cards!

6) Cash. No matter your budget, keep it secure. You worked hard for it.

7) Know your comps before negotiating, walk away from the table if you need to do some research, then double back. Knowledge is power, use it to your advantage. Also, if you need to overpay slightly and it's a hard to find card you better pay up or somebody else will.

8) Nobody wants to be hungover the next day at the National. You want to be on top of your game and have fun. Keep the alcohol intake reasonable unless it's your last day there, if that's the case, then by all means, throw another back.

9) If your able to make the Wednesday sneak peek and Thursday first full day of the show that's when you want to be there. Sure you'll get better deals on Sunday...once everything's been picked through by 10's of thousands of people but if you want to see the good stuff get there early in the show.

10) Be polite to the dealers, there's a lot of not so nice people they're going to be interacting with, these are very long days for them, and are often busy non-stop. Wait your turn, be polite, don't scoff at their prices. If they won't budge on price, say thank you and move on. Respect goes a long way.
Old 07-16-2022, 06:53 PM
Bob
Bob Comm.entucci

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1954 topps View Post
1) Print a map of the floorplan, take a picture of the card that interests you. Type notes in your phone with table number and negotiated price. Once you walk the show go back to your favorites and pull out your wallet.

2) Bring a fully charged back up battery charger for your phone to recharge as you won't have access to an outlet. Also everyone is on their phone at the same time so your phone is constantly seeking out a signal and it'll die faster than normal. Makes sure it's fully charged before you arrive.

3) Don't bring a rolling suitcase of cards to sell or trade please, don't be that guy everyone has to walk around or try not to trip over. You look ridiculous and it's just not considerate of others. Bring those suitcases to trade night.

4) Walk the floor quickly if your looking for something particular. Go in with clear intention of what you're seeking. If your not focused you will constantly be distracted and waste time. If you're looking for graded vintage you can skip 60-70% of the tables easily.

5) I have a small european traveler backpack with zippers facing your back so no exposed zippers can be opened, everything is nice and secure. Have a storage container for your cards, penny sleeves, top loaders, whatever you need. Also, snacks and drinks are critical. Don't waste time and money on concessions, your there for the cards!

7) Know your comps before negotiating, walk away from the table if you need to do some research, then double back. Knowledge is power, use it to your advantage. Also, if you need to overpay slightly and it's a hard to find card you better pay up or somebody else will.

8) Nobody wants to be hungover the next day at the National. You want to be on top of your game and have fun. Keep the alcohol intake reasonable unless it's your last day there, if that's the case, then by all means, throw another back.

9) If your able to make the Wednesday sneak peek and Thursday first full day of the show that's when you want to be there. Sure you'll get better deals on Sunday...once everything's been picked through by 10's of thousands of people but if you want to see the good stuff get there early in the show.

10) Be polite to the dealers, there's a lot of not so nice people they're going to be interacting with, these are very long days for them, and are often busy non-stop. Wait your turn, be polite, don't scoff at their prices. If they won't budge on price, say thank you and move on. Respect goes a long way.
This is spot on & well thought out. I only wish I knew in advance what dealers had what I was looking for (That elusive Cobb Bat off, Demmitt, & O'Hara).
Old 07-17-2022, 08:12 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
Ha! My first national and I was granted three nights on my own! No training wheels or guardrails. They'll make a movie of my adventures called "National Alone" starring Macaulay Culkin.
Old 07-17-2022, 08:15 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1954 topps View Post

This is a great list. Unfortunately, I'll be the guy carrying around a stack of pennants in rigid plastic holders. Not the most nimble cargo so I apologize in advance if I poke anyone in the eye or nuts.
Old 07-17-2022, 10:49 AM

Here's my beginner's guide to the National, specifically for ones looking for vintage cards:

My advice to first timers is to wear comfortable shoes, carry a large shoulder bag or a pack for your cash, want lists, top loads, plastic cases, and a small box for graded cards. Leave your coat/jacket/sweater in your car. it will be warm at the show. Bring a pen and a notebook to keep track of your purchases and to make a map of dealer booths so you can remember where you saw particular items. Don't pay the listed price for anything. Many times the dealers will offer you a discount before you ask for one. It doesn't hurt to ask for a larger discount that the one that they offer. If you are looking for specific items in specific grades, make a list of the prices that you are willing to pay. It is easy to overpay at the show. If you look hard enough you will find a few bargains, but it may take some time. Bring a small flashlight, a loupe, and a magnifying glass. Bring some $1 bills and $5 bills. It is surprising how many dealers don't have enough change.

When you see a card in a dealers showcase with no price, and you ask the dealer how much he wants for it, usually if he says, "hold on a minute, I'll look it up", you can count on the dealer asking for much more than it is worth. Generally he will be looking for suckers who are willing to overpay, or he really doesn't know how much it is worth and he is "fishing" to see what you will offer. It seems like some of the dealers don't like to acknowledge that you are looking at their cards, and that you may like to buy something from them. They are too busy eating, reading, or sorting their cards to look up and say "hi". It also seems that the dealers who do acknowledge you, talk to you, and ask you questions are the ones who are willing to be flexible on their prices. Some of the dealers are there to sell their cards and turn over their inventory, and some seem to bring the same overpriced crap to show after show.

You will have a blast at the show even if you don't buy that much. The variety and quality of the cards is amazing.

beer chug.gifbeer chug.gifbeer chug.gifbeer chug.gifbeer chug.gifbeer chug.gifbeer chug.gifbeer chug.gifbeer chug.gifbeer chug.gif
Old 07-17-2022, 02:19 PM
Bry@n

Not only comfy shoes, but in the past I have bought Dr Sholes inserts - I think last time I actually bought two pairs and doubled up on them.
Old 07-17-2022, 02:34 PM
octavio ranzola

Im going with 5 k ,,once its gone im gone ,what i dont have today i dont need tomorrow 😎😎
Old 07-17-2022, 06:35 PM
Darrell

Default national

all great ideas

1- for sure comfortable shoes
2- definitely note the tables you are interested in .. easy to get lost where they were
3- I'd agree if you see something you want and its fair ... get it ... it could be gone when you come back

1A - have fun .. my 5th national ... bringing the wife again .. hope to meet a few folks from here ..
Old 07-17-2022, 07:49 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Don't walk on the Boardwalk past midnight.
Old 07-18-2022, 09:49 AM
Wayne V

I would say, go for as many days at the show as you can. There is so much stuff, and so many tables, it is almost impossible to see everything.
As always, the best deal is the thing that everybody overlooked. You don't also want to be the one that overlooked it.
Old 07-18-2022, 10:04 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
Oh man, If I did that for anything the complaining about my spending would start at the ticket window. Maybe even the Uber ride to the show...

There's a great reason my son goes to anything like this with me, lol. I will be out this year, but we may make a go of Rosemont for the adventure.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 07-18-2022, 12:55 PM
Rich Klein

the biggest regret I read about on these boards is people seeing a white whale item, especially if at a fair price, and then noting it only to find out it was sold 10 minutes later.

If it is 1960's commons you can take your sweet time but if it is the one off pre-War item and is fair you should buy it immediately.

So that rule about noting a table booth is usually right but not always

Rich
Old 07-18-2022, 03:23 PM
octavio ranzola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Don't walk on the Boardwalk past midnight.
Lol you think ,,
Old 07-19-2022, 06:22 AM
Rob

I checked the site and can't find an answer. Are backpacks allowed in the convention center? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-19-2022, 08:54 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
I checked the site and can't find an answer. Are backpacks allowed in the convention center? Thanks in advance.
I can't say with 100% certainty, but they've always been allowed in the past, or at least the past 10 or so years.
Old 07-19-2022, 10:07 PM
Al

Honestly? It's your first National. Here's what my advice would be:

1) Don't bring a want list. Bring a list of white whale items, if you have one, but that's it. It's great to spend time looking for things to help you complete sets and such, but then you can't see the forest because you're too busy looking for individual trees. Look at everything. Learn about stuff you've never seen before. Buy something wacky, just because you like it, and not because it's on your want list.

2) Meet everybody you can. Have conversations. Grab lunch with people from the board. This is an opportunity to make lifelong friends with people who have a common passion for the hobby. I go to the National every year, and my favorite thing about it is that its the only time of year I get to see some of my hobby friends.

3) Comfortable shoes, yes.

4) I echo the sentiment about not walking alone on the boardwalk at night.

5) If you're a night owl, the hotel bars are typically cool places to run into players. They won't sign autographs, but you can have some great conversations. A couple of years ago, some guys and I spent a half hour with Luis Tiant and it was pretty awesome to get to ask him questions. Toughest batter he ever faced? Yaz.

Have a blast. The National is awesome. Stop by booth 425/429 and say hi!

-Al
Old 07-20-2022, 06:57 AM

I wrote a guide to the national for cardlines.com. Offered here not as click-bait but in the hopes that maybe you get some small morsel of value and it's makes your visit a tiny bit better!

Everything You Need To Know About The 2022 National
Old 07-20-2022, 09:00 AM
Drew W@i$e

One more thing is to focus on what you collect. Some first timers get shiny ball syndrome, buy something they don't really want, and then regret it later. Go in with a game plan.
Old 07-20-2022, 09:10 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
One more thing is to focus on what you collect. Some first timers get shiny ball syndrome, buy something they don't really want, and then regret it later. Go in with a game plan.
+1 Go in with a game plan and stay focused, have fun, and meet forum members, and network network and network

When in Doubt Network

The support of this forum can be amazing and makes it fun

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 07-20-2022, 04:13 PM
Bob
Bob Comm.entucci

Here's another tip for those bringing cash & perhaps a lot of it: Don't expect to show up at your bank, they day you leave for the Show, and expect them to have $10,000 or more in 100 bills to give you.

Go to your bank now, and arrange for them to have the bigger bills for you in advance, so you can schedule to pick it up and go. Some banks have to order that much in 100's. Plan ahead!
Old 07-20-2022, 05:43 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Take your time and pace yourself. Really overwhelming. A lot of time on your feet. If you find you are shot after 5 hours go back to the hotel and lie down. or gamble. Doesn’t have to be a sprint or a marathon.
Old 07-21-2022, 05:29 AM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

This has all been really helpful… thx to all who chipped in with great ideas. Am very excited for my first national next week.

I’ll share my pick-ups here after the show

Maybe see some of you there?

Thx again, Jeff