NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-24-2019, 05:42 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

For someone who didn't submit anything this time around, it's fascinating (read as it's making me jealous) looking at the wide variety of great cards involved.

Whose cards/grades are the big winners of this submission?

And, is the 1979 Burger King Manny Trillo rare or valuable or something, or does that have nothing to do with it? I saw someone submitted three of them.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:08 PM
J3ff Thr0m

I paid about $60 for each of these as part of a lot.

Byrne got a 3.5 and Magee a 2. Was pretty happy getting those grades for value.

B2C7B9FA-4955-4BAA-9F85-1E59AAA77EAB.jpg
B07B5C4E-30ED-439B-9E40-A247C6EB7495.jpg
Old 04-25-2019, 04:17 PM
Caleb R0se

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
For someone who didn't submit anything this time around, it's fascinating (read as it's making me jealous) looking at the wide variety of great cards involved.

And, is the 1979 Burger King Manny Trillo rare or valuable or something, or does that have nothing to do with it? I saw someone submitted three of them.
This is one of my favorite parts as well. I like to see if anybody hit the jackpot (hopefully me sometimes). I sent a bunch of 1963 commons and semi stars for my set. Got two 8’s that turned $5 cards into $50 maybe $100 cards. Hit one 7 that may be worth more than that, kinda hard to tell based on completed sales. Card #341 repair, if anybody is more knowledgeable on the set than I am.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:38 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by crose View Post
This is one of my favorite parts as well. I like to see if anybody hit the jackpot (hopefully me sometimes). I sent a bunch of 1963 commons and semi stars for my set. Got two 8’s that turned $5 cards into $50 maybe $100 cards. Hit one 7 that may be worth more than that, kinda hard to tell based on completed sales. Card #341 repair, if anybody is more knowledgeable on the set than I am.
Well...the last sale of that card was for $200 this time last year....and '8' sold for $700 this year. If it were MINE, I would be firm around $300-$400.....might take a bit to sell, but should eventually go.

Then again a '6' sold for under $20. The jumps on it are pretty outrageous.....Maybe BIN $250 and let it fly.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 04-26-2019 at 04:41 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:30 PM
Ben Silva
Ben Sil.va

Quote:
I was pretty happy with my submission. I missed something on my 1971 Munson card, but otherwise I got about what I expected.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:19 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensie View Post
I was pretty happy with my submission. I missed something on my 1971 Munson card, but otherwise I got about what I expected.

That's frickin' awesome. And so close on the vast majority of cards. What's your process for establishing your 'expected' column? I'm seeing visions of an old jeweler with a loupe attached to his eye.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:27 PM
Ben Silva
Ben Sil.va

Quote:
That's frickin' awesome. And so close on the vast majority of cards. What's your process for establishing your 'expected' column? I'm seeing visions of an old jeweler with a loupe attached to his eye.
I actually just eyeball them in my office with decent lighting . I don't spend a lot of time on it. I think with mid grade cards like this, you don't really need magnification. I'm really curious to see what I missed on the Munson card. I bet it has a wrinkle that I just didn't catch, but I swear that thing looked clean. I had about 10 of that card, and this looked to be the best.

edit: when I got back into collecting, I'd purchase multiple of the same card in different grades so that I could teach myself how grading worked. I have rainbows of 1986 Topps Nolan Ryan, 1981 Topps Harold Baines, 1986 Topps Traded Andres Galarraga, 1968 Bench, and 1968/1969 Nolan Ryan. I also purchased a huge lot of BGS graded 1986 Topps of various grades. I then spent a few hours just studying them and learning what gave them the grades that they were assigned. Since then, I've had literally thousands of graded cards pass through my hands and I've further refined my 'eye'. With each card I get, I look over it until I see what the major condition issues are. It's been a lot of fun, and I get excited when a card I have pops low like that Munson. I see it as a very good learning opportunity!

Last edited by bensie; 04-26-2019 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:39 PM
Ben Silva
Ben Sil.va

Oh, I forgot to mention...

I'm currently trying to build my own rainbow of 1981 Topps Harold Baines (my favorite player as a kid). This is where I buy lots of raw cards off ebay, sports lots, etc. and then select/submit, trying to get every grade and half grade. The challenge here is that I want to build this rainbow only using cards that are centered. I don't want centering to be a factor in the condition, and I also don't want to intentionally damage any cards. My wife thinks I have mental problems, but I've been having a real blast with this project.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:32 PM
Robert Williams

Eye candy while we wait for next week to ship these back out...

Old 04-29-2019, 05:53 PM
Robert Williams

We are trickling out.