NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-14-2007, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Default Net54 Members Are What % of All BB Card Collectors?

Posted By: peter chao

Guys,

I'm just speculating here, but from the collectors I know my best guess is that 1% of BB Card collectors belong to Net54. Here's why. My best guess is that 10% of collectors are online. From this 10%, approximately 10% belong to Net54. So there you have it, approximately 1% of all collectors are members of Net54.

I'm looking at all collectors, I'm including people that collect the shiney new stuff. I'm also including the ocassional collector.

Am I close?

Peter C.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

No, your not close.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Leon, May I have the monthly IP tally?.. I was gonna watch the Sox tonite, but this math problem is gnawing on me.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

I think Peter is right on, if not a little high in his estimate.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

You're including the shiny stuff? And you're including the "occasional" collector?

I coach little league baseball. Last season, I had 12 7-year-old kids on my team. Two of them collected baseball cards. There were three teams of 7-year-olds in my town. Extrapolate that out, and that would mean there are six 7-year-old collectors in my town.

Let's extrapolate further and say there are six 7-year-old collectors in every town in America right now. According to Yahoo Answers, there are 18,443 towns in the United States. If there are six 7-year-old collectors in each one of them, that would mean there are 110,658 7-year-old collectors in the country.

Let's just say, for argument's sake, that nobody in the country who is less than 7 years old collects baseball cards. But let's say, for argument's sake, that there are just as many 8, 9, 10, and 11-year-old collectors as there are 7-year-olds. So that would mean there are 553,290 people under the age of 11 who collect baseball cards.

Let's say that there are half as many people over the age of 11 who collect as there are under the age of 11. I know, that's conservative, but let's just go with it. That would mean there are 829,935 people in this country who collect cards, occasionally.

If I remember correctly, Leon said there are about 1000 different IP addresses that access this board. Let's say that each of those thousand addresses corresponds with a unique individual. Never mind that AOL users have dynamic IP addresses that change with every page you hit. Let's say there are a thousand people.

If my math is correct, that would mean that Net54 users are just a little greater than one tenth of one percent of all the collectors out there.

Right?

-Al

Old 10-14-2007, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Right.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

1/25th of 1 percent sounds about right at most.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

about 13.7% of 2/3 of the online population, not including 35% of amazon or yahoo members, who play fantasy baseball, or half of all eBay members who use paypal...

does that make sense?

Old 10-14-2007, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

The short version is that Net54 members make up a very tiny percentage of all baseball card collectors. However, the Net54 group (including the newly added postwar cards, boxing, football, memorabilia, etc,... forums) is extremely influential in the hobby because (collectively) this group either consigns or wins many of the lots in the major auction houses.

Alan

Old 10-14-2007, 11:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Adams

Anyone can use statistics to prove anything. 45% of all people know this.

Go Go White Sox
2005 World Series Champions!

Old 10-14-2007, 11:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tony Andrea

As influential as the board may be in our hobby
it's still just a small dot on the radar screen
in regards to the big picture.
There's many many more collectors out there, both
big and small all of us will never know about or
meet.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

I figure most vintage BB card collectors live in the USA. Lets see, there are over 300,000,000 in the US. Scratch that thought....

Look at the number of people that go to the National every year. I would venture to guess that less than 1 in a hundred are people that come to this board. Yes, there are a lot of new/shiney and other sports collectors that go to the National, but I would also guess that only a small population of the collectors out there attend the National. I'm guessing that N54 VBC membership is very small when you consider the overall population of VBC collectors.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: CN

Peter I have enjoyed some of your posts and laughed at others but after this one how about taking a week off. You seem like a great guy that is looking for anything to post. Maybe a week off would help you CN. I don't mean this post to put you down but I think you are posting some items just to have a post.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

I think a significant percentage of serious pre-WWII and particularly pre-WWI collectors are at least regular lurkers here. I know there are some serious hobby heavyweights who lurk here every day.
JimB

Old 10-15-2007, 05:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Wait -- you mean there are collectors other than those which inhabit this board? Leon, you lied to me!

Old 10-15-2007, 05:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Pre-war collectors make up such a small percentage of the card collectors in general. I may be way off...I thought I remember something about a typical day this site may get 1200 (give or take a couple hundred either way) hits a day? I think there may be 400 or so different collectors on this site overall...if thats the case, no way that is anywhere close to 1% of all collectors...

Although I'll also stick in my vote for "don't know what the heck this thread is really supposed to be about"

Old 10-15-2007, 06:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: einstein

peter! i can't figure this one out????

Old 10-15-2007, 07:31 AM
Administrator

583 votes have been cast in the Net54 Poll and it has been up for well over a month. (and I doubt if that represents 583 unique members)

100 members, give or take, will participate in the current contest and it's free!

100 members, more or less, will regularly participate in discussions on various threads.

50 members, give or take, regularly post on the BST and it's free too!

There are 100 members, give or take, who are listed in the Vintage Links.

Hits? To me they are meaningless. I think everytime you leave to check email or ebay, or whatever, and then return, that's a new hit.

Bottom line, the answer to Peter's question is that in the universe of card collectors we are miniscule.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I think the percentage of Net54 collectors is a miniscule amount if you take all of baseball card collecting into account. Now, if you rule out the new shiny stuff the percentage (still very small) will go up. If you go two steps further and say the % of Pre-War collectors on the internet that at least lurk, then I think the percentage goes up a fair amount. I could even go as high as 10%-15% or higher for avid pre-war collectors on the internet at least looking at this board.... As for people on this forum everyday....The Unique IP addresses are almost static at about 1025-1075 on the weekends, which is the most accurate way to calculate since far fewer folks are at work and won't be logging in from 2 computers in the same day. The AOL static IP issue absolutely accounts for some extras which I previously hadn't taken into account. Say there are 300 of those and you still are going to have around 750-800 different people every day looking at this board. I think that number could be quite close. As far as page views the front page board is at about 15,000-23,000 everyday....and the total number of views for all parts of the board is close to 1,000,000 a month....Hope this helps some....though I am not sure it matters a whole lot . Things do seem to be a little more calm lately which is fine by me....regards all

Old 10-15-2007, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: pas

How about an hour off?